1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most upsetting character death? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Tanis's death dissapointed me as did Laurana's in the War of Souls. They were the two that were supposed to last.

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Sorry to break the thread of fantasy, but the deats that affected me the most were the deaths of Old Dan and Little Ann in "Where the Red Fern Grows." I'm not ashamed to say that that part always makes me cry. Old Dan being disembowled by the mountain lion, and then Little Ann just giving up life, going to lie down on Dan's grave to die....

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

The death of Tom Builder in The Pillars of Earth was totally unexpected and unsettling. I had become really fond of him. I had to read the paragraph three times to make sure I had understood correctly. I mean, he was one of the main characters (if not the main character) so far in the story... I loved that twist, though.

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

The death of Sherlock Holmes at the Reichenbach Falls made me cry. I was only about ten at the time mind...

5. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ The guys who say Nighteyes' death was very foreshadowed.

Yes it was. But for me that made no difference, and It is still one of the saddest deaths I have ever read. I loved that guy! Wolf.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

NonSequitur -- I remember Sturm's death as well, which was very, very sad.....and above all...noble. That whole series was so finely down -- I just may have to reread them as well.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Ok.... some really serious spoilers below, if you like Star Wars, avoid if you dont want to know.

The New Jedi Order series was the most hateful series of books I ever read. In the very first, RA Salvatore decided to kill off...of all people... Chewbaca. Can you believe it!? I was well angry and upset. Especially after reading all the novels before, he was much more than a cool character in a film. That was bad enough, but I figured I'd stick with it. But oooooh NO. They werent done there, not by a mile. They then killed off, one of my all time fav characters in the books. They killed off Anakin Solo. He was so sweet, and caring, it just boiled my blood. I was furious to the point I didnt finish the book, and got rid of the entire series. Maybe I'm burying my head in the sand, but I will consider the Star wars saga to end BEFORE that series. After the Timothy Zahn duo of spectre of the past... it all fades and the sunset beckons. Hateful, hateful books! They DONT exist! /me puts his fingers in his ears and hums REAL loud.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i felt bad too (more because of watson though). incidentally, you DO know that he didn't really die right? :p

9. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In the cold fire trilogy Hesseth and Jensey, they were my fvourite chars by far. And in DL when Tas was sent to the abyss, I cried at both till I read a little further in the book for DL.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The death of Lady Mariko in James Clavell's Shogun was a tear-jerker :(

11. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Well, Pikel in the Cleric's Quintet shocked me quite a bit. Plus, it has got to be THE coolest revival sequence ever!

*EDIT*
    Oh, and Sturm in the original Dragonlance Chronicles series. I still get a little misty-eyed when I read that passage.

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It wasn't a death per-se but when Pikel loses his arm in 'The Lone Drow' it was pretty upsetting.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Cohen the Barbarian's death in "The Last Hero" was pretty shocking and hilarious, even in afterlife he had to steal, he kicks the Valkyries that came to bring him to Valhalla right of their horses and rides off :lol:

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I actually found this kinda funny :D I felt kinda bad for Tarthariel(sp?) though :o

15. Champion of the Multiverse Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Elbryan Wyndon (Nightbird) in The Demon Apostle.

16. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The death that dissapointed me the most out of every book i have ever read was that of Daryth in the Moonsahe series by Douglas Niles: Darkwell. After reading the first two books, i was obsesed with his sneaky character. TI annoyed me so much that he died. Also, when the small halfling Pawldo was devoured in teh Druid home series. Why must things like this happen!?

17. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

The sword of Shannara series when Allanon dies. That is probably the most pointless death in any book. About 4 pages later they figure out how to cure the poison.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  18. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I must add, Greylock of the Serpentwar Saga. Best characters in the books, and the way he die, it's just outrageous.

19. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Cullyn, Rhodry and Jill in Katherine Kerr's Deverry books. Over, and over, and over again. The funny thing is, you know it's going to happen. Still, it really annoys Nevyn.

20. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That would be when Drizzt Do' Urden's magical Panther dies. That really pissed me off! However SPOILERS AHEAD:!!!

"As always" in Salvatore's books, the cat "comes back"!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.