1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Feist's Midkemia.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have a love hate relationship with Feist, his style is great but his stories can be less than optimal. I hate the "metaphysical" scenes in the Serpentwar series and the way that there are some loose ends.

I actually wanted to know the Midkemian historical order to his works because I am a little confused only having read parts of the serpentwar series and the Krondor to Tear of the Gods books.

Any help on historical order not publishing order? Thanks.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Well the first is magician. After that it is the riftwar legacy lot. Then you have silverthorn and the Darkness at Sethanon.

After that, I get confused.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hmmm, as far as I know it goes like this:
    • Magician (Ledgends of the Rift War happen during this book)
    • Silverthor
    • A Darkness at Sethanon
    • Korndor series
    • Prince of the Blood
    • The King's Buccaneer
    • Shadow of a Dark Queen
    • Rise of a Merchant Prince
    • Rage of a Demon King
    • Shards of a Broken Crown
    Then there's the Empire series, which is by far the best lot IMO, which occurs right throughout the other books.
    He's also got two new ones, but I'm not 100% sure when they happen.

Hope that helps you out...

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe the two new ones take place about two generations after Shards of a Broken Crown. I know in the second new book you meet Jimmy the Hand's grandson who is now a duke in Rillanon (sic).

5. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've just finished reading Magician and I'm still not sure about Feist - I read a couple of the Krondor series a few years back and can't remember being bowled over then either.

It's not that he is a bad writer as I did quite enjoy the books but there is something about his books that doesn't give me any kind of urge to buy them.

I think it might the fact the hero is called Pug - you can't have heroes called Pug - it isn't proper!!! :)

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. I thought the same thing, but he gets a better name later on... Milamber :)

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

I like the story minus all the metaphysical mumbo jumbo like time travel and multiple universes crap. That really pisses me off. Otherwise nearly finished volume 3. Perhaps its time to move on to Martin?

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Serpentwar Saga!! Read the Serpentwar Saga!! I have not ready too much fantasy, maybe only 20+ books, but the Serpentwar Saga is over all the greatest.

And yes, I HAVE read LoTR.

EDIT: Of course, I read all the posts BUT the first one. :doh: Well, I don't think there is to much mumbo jumbo, but we each have different opinions.

9. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I could only make it through the first 4 books and I had to force myself at that. I just couldn't see buying any more. I read Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthorn, and A Darkness at Sethanon. The first one was my favorite, as I recall, and they all seemed to go downhill from there. I couldn't bear to see it go any further.

But as far as I know, that is the historical sequence of those books at least.

10. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

I think I might put Feist on hold for a while, I'm "all Feisted out" at the moment. Besides too many assignments and work...

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    They started translating the books to Finnish from the Shadow Of the Dark Queen, and it's that and the three following ones that I have read.

Note to self, get the early ones... I want more James!

Yes, I admit, I am fangirlish over James, Jimmy and Dash.

The books are good, managed to capture me well enough, but since the translation is abyssmal i did end up hitting the wall with my head a few times.

*tries to be coherent and fails*

Err... good. Me like. :p

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Where does 'Talon of the silver hawk' fit in. I just finished the first book and I've never read a Feist before so it would be nice to know I've missed out on somehting. So far I haven't had any references to previous books.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Talon takes place after all of the other books. As far as missing out on things the main characters are new but there are supporting characters from the previous books. The good thing about Talon is that so far you don't really need to have read the other books.

However, the Serpent War series started out the same way and by the end it managed to drag old characters/events back into the story in a major way. I suspect that the same will happen with Talon.

I would personally recommend reading the first three books and the Empire trilogy as they are both quite good. After that the books tend to be somewhat of a hit and miss - some are good and others mediocre.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.