1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorting through the fantasy jungle

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Great choice!
    I'm reading the third book again now. Totaly awsome. Another thing i like about it is a very detailed world. I usually read books very fast(too fast) and some descriptions more like in a skipping way. As there are plenty of these in the book, i'm discovering lots of new stuff again :D

Other than that i found the Cormyr saga very good as well.
    Dragonlance is another good read... as well as long. :)

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Raymond E. Feist's earlier Riftwar books - Magician, Silverthorn and (particularly) A Darkness at Sethanon - are great examples of quality fantasy. His books have gotten progressively worse over the years but to begin with he was really something special.

Another writer I'd recommend - and one who's only written a few books so far so he's not turned into a Jordan/Goodkind clone - is China Melville. Both Perdido Street Station and The Scar are amazing fantasy books and have enough believability about them to set them apart from most of the run-of-the-mill fantasy fare of today.

3. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett is a must read series IMO,it's very funny, and a thouroughly entertaining series to read that doesnt drag on like a lot of other fantasy series. Another recommendation is Sara Douglass and her Battle Axe Trilogy, i just finished reading it and was definetly pleased of the quality of her writing. :)

4. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy is amazing, just like all her other work. Sort of Celti.Welsh as much as it's anything, and not quite like anything else out there.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

George R.R. Martin is a must!

I also like to recommend the "Earthsea"-Cycle by Ursula K. LeGuin.

EDIT: Damn! Another resurrected thread.

6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] Just to add Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" and "Otherland". The first is straight fantasy but one that pays a great deal more attention to the psychology of the characters than is usual. The latter is more SF, but with a multitude of fantasy elements. And even though the scope of the books is huge it is obvious that unlike some other fantasy series (Wheel of time comes to mind) these were planned in detail well in advance. Offhand comments in the first pages of the first book might shed light on events that take place a good 4000 pages later and cryptic remarks from the first chapter are only explained at the very end of the last book in the series. Very good!

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Otherland is worthwhile but I found it a bit too slow going. It could easily have been half as long and much better. It is really the only series I have finished but where I still skipped quite large stretches of text.

8. david w Gems: 19/31

I too felt that Otherland could have done with some trimming. At least half of the 4000 odd pages is filler and the entire second book (all 800+ pages of it) could have condensed into a 100 pages for all the actual storyline there was in it.

I still like reading it though.

9. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I recommend either the entire Drizzt series (13 or 14 odd books now), which IMHO is definitely a superb read...
    But if it seems a little daunting to start with such a large chunk of Forgotten Realms, then I'd say either the Azure Bonds trilogy (which is the series that got me hooked on FR) or the excellent Sembia series.

If you're not up for FR, then might I suggest the Dragonlance series, the Companions Sextet? It's a good read (though I admittedly haven't read it in a long, long time) and could trigger your interest for more Dragonlance books.

10. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

another good series you could read is the Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia-Dart-Thornton

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'd recommend the Riftwar trilogy by Raymond.E.Feist. They are engrossing and really well written. They are, in order: The Magician, Silverthorn, and A Darkness at Sethanon. Whatever you do though, stay away from his other works.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.