1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

2. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm reading currently a greek book "Bloodbath in south France" (that should be the right translation)... It's about the slaughtering of "Les Cathares" (it's a heresy and the heretics are called in French "Les Cathares")in south France in the 13th century.

3. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I am currently reading The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. I'm only about 40 pages into it... but it seems to have the makings of a great book. Maybe not as good as my favorite book, Red Storm Rising, but a good book none-the-less. ;)

4. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"The redemption of Althalus" by David and Leigh Eddings, about 350 pages in and am enjoying it emmensely. A very good book.

5. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

"Forsaken House", part 1 of the Last Mythal Trilogy, y Richard Baker.
    Great book so far...

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just started reading No Phule Like an Old Phule by Robert Asprin and Peter Heck. It seems o.k. so far.

7. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. For class. Reminds me why I don't like Twain. Can't wait to finish. Can't type complete sentence. Going now.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

'Something Fishy' by Shane Maloney, saw a movie based on one of his Murray Whelan novels and decided to check them out. Not bad so far.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Dark Moon, by Gemmel. Maybe it's because I just finished Kushiel's Dart with its vivid characterization, but, ugh, the folks in Dark Moon irritate me no end. Feel a bit like cardboard cutouts.

Is Dark Moon representative of Gemmel's other works? I've heard good things about him, but I won't be picking up any of his other books unless they're drastically different

10. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have almost finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. And, yeah, this is my first time reading this book, which is surprisingly good :)

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Reading The Silmarillian for the third time.

12. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Le Morte D'Arthur, I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Can't stand Lancelot though, ever since The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell I've not liked him.

13. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just started Dracula. So far so good.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool - Dracula - the weirdest thing about that book is so much of it seems so cliched. Then you remember it was written long before those things became cliched and all the dodgy horror stories / films that have followed are actually copied from that book.

I'm reading something far less classic:

"Dragonlance Preludes Volume One: Darkness and Light" - P B Thompson and T C Cook.

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm quite tempted to try Dracula just now.

16. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just to jump on the bandwagon, "Me too!"

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Bought this weekend Weis & Hickman's "Dragons of Summer Flame." Been rather good thus far. :cool:

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "An introduction to socio-linguistics" by Janet Holmes. I am finding myself rather intrigued and reading way beyond the designated reading.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Lies My Teacher Told Me (Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong) - James W. Loewen

AWESOME!!!

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Carnage and Culture - Victor Davis Hanson

Interesting to compare and contrast this work with Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.