1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just finished Magician by Feist and he still hasn't managed to impress me.

Also still trying to get through "Lend me your ears" by Boris Johnson. If you haven't heard of him, he's an English politician and newspaper editor. He is very funny although one often wonders whether its intentional. Also his hair is awesome.

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I've just finished H.P. Lovecraft's "Omnibus 1: At the mountains of madness and other novels of terror".

3. Morden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dissolution; the first book of the War of the Spider Queen series.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Madouc" by Jack Vance. Part of three of his excellent Lyonnesse trilogy.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Finally got a hold of Absolution Gap, horrah!

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert.
    God Emperor was a bit wierd and this one is already proving to be even more so...

7. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    The Cronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever: The Power that Preserves.

Its the third book in the first Trilogy, its sooo cool!

8. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Dune is a tough read, but worthwhile IMO
    Currently, I am reading nothing, in a day however, I will start on the his next book - I just finished Shadowprince, by David Gemmell.
    :borg:

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished condemnation (finally out in paperback..). nimor is awesome. he's half-drow/half-what? cmon, i dont mind the spoiler, i cant take the wait til extinction gets on paperback. rigght now im about to start on lady of poison, that any good?

10. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Just started "The Dragon Reborn" - Book 3 of the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan.

Additionally I got my hands on "Do androids dream of electric sheep" by Philip K. Dick.

11. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading Eddings' Belgariad again. Am on book 4, Magician's Gambit. Fantastic read IMO.

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Just finished re-reading "The Thousand Orcs" by RA Salvatore. I'm just about to start in on "The Lone Drow", and I'm really looking forward to it.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I just finished 'Royal assassin' and 'Assassin's Quest' both by Robin Hobb and both forever on my top 5 best read list. What a great series.

I am now going to tackle 'The sword of Shannara' trilogy by terry Brooks.

14. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Just finished "wee free men" and "Equal rites". And I'm almost done with Colleen McCullough's "song of Troy" which is the whole story of the fall of troy, it tells the whole story of all 10 years, plus the story before, it's one of the best books I have read.
    And since I'm still waiting fore "Count Zero", I have started on "the colour of magic"

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just finished 'Monstrous Regiment' and am now reading 'All Tomorrow's Parties', 'Life of Pi', then 'Virtual Light' and by then 'Count Zero', 'Mona Lisa Overdrive' and my own copy (read a library copy first time round) of 'Neuromancer' should have arrived. Woot.

16. Dradeel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ender's War is a great book ^^ my fav.

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Re-reading the Making of a Mage (a splendid book that, so much better than the rest of the Elminster books).

I expect to get it read tomorrow, after which I'll proceed to the Legend of Huma. One which I'd bought around a year ago but forgot in my bookshelf until last weekend when we moved to a new apartment.

18. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Started on Steve Biddulph's "Raising Boys". To help with a possible good Court result in the near future.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Original Meanings: Politics and Ideas in the Making of the Constitution, by Jack Rakove. This is the follow-up and companion book to Rakove’s well-thought of book, James Madison and the Creation of the American Republic. Madison and Hamilton, two of the Constitution’s drafters and strongest defenders, battled over the meaning of the Constitution’s powers during the period after the Constitution’s ratification. Madison wanted to block Hamilton’s Central Bank, citing that the Constitution gave Hamilton no such power. This led to a school of thought of the “original meaning” of the Constitution, which was based on a strict interpretation. Hamilton countered with a brilliant strategy in which he argued the notion of “implied powers.”

Hamilton’s masterful handling of the issue set the stage for the increased role and sovereignty of the federal government, defeating both Jefferson and Madison in the process. It was probably Hamilton’s finest moment (of many) as a politician. This book takes a closer look at the debate over the multiple meanings and interpretations of the Constitution.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

lady of poison wasnt anything great, characterization wasnt very good IMHO. im reading smoe and mirrors by neil gaiman now, and anything he writes is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.