1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite author/authors

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Max Berry and Frank Herbert.. and Rowling of course (Potter books rock :D )

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I have to say George Martin has dethroned good ol' Tolkien. But I still love ya J.R.R, it's just that, well... there's another, and we're going to run off together. :grin:

4. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Wow, two replies i got. These people must really like to read...

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

G RR Martin, David Gemmel and Bernard Cornwell. And, of course, good old Tolkien.

6. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Stephen King still rules supreme. The man has the Midas touch. R.A. Salvatore is my favorite as far as fantasy novels are concerned, followed by Weis and Hickman.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Tolkien. GRR Martin still doesn't match his brilliance.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    GRR Martin is my favourite all categories, surpassing Tolkien with many many horselenghts. After Martin it is Hobb and then nothing and then nothing and then Orson Scott Card and Robert Jordan. Both have written some brilliant books but both has also written some less than brilliant stuff.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Tolkien. No doubt about that.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I'd have to be boring and agree with Ara. Tolkien, certainly.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmm.. I have to add that as soon as Son of Strife gets published, I ca "officially" start praising Shura in these threads as well.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Tolkien is my favourite, no one else comes close. I would have a difficult time picking someone for second place, Martin would certainly be a contender but so would at least a dozen other authors.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I can't even begin to THINK about trying to pick just one.

So I won't.

14. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Hmmm. lemme see. Terry Prattchett. I just love the discworld, although some are better than others...
    I think Margareth Weis and Tracy Hickman did a good job on the Chronicles - Legends, but then, I don't fancy any of their newer books....

Dan Abnett writes some good books set in the WH40K universe. I especially like the Inquisitor trilogy. But then, I do like to read a lot of Black Library's publications these days. Their fantazy novels are set in a much darker world compared to your avereage fr-book.

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I am not a big fan of Martin, whom, IMHO, is very overrated. Most writing fantasy/adventure today are in some way informed by Tolkien. That would make him the benchmark against which others are measured. And if one believes that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," then many owe much to him. Certainly George Martin learned from Tolkien. I just wish he had learned more.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You Chandos are the first one I have ever heard that have read Martin that isnt stunned by the brilliance of his writing. Have you read all three books of a Song of ice and fire and may I ask you what you base your opinion of?

All authors borrow from other authors and other sources. Actually the only thing I give Tolkien credit for is his restarting the old genre of fantastic epic story telling. His novels are not very good books, it is Tolkien's creativity and world building that makes him something at all in my eyes. His novels are from a purely story perspective extremely shallow and rather uninteresting with his cardboard characters. With Tolkien it is all about the setting.
    Martin has in my eyes perfected the genre that Tolkien reinvented.

Ok end rant, I just get slightly annoyed at all the people that lifts Tolkien to the skies in all aspects just because you are supposed to. Just like one might lift War and Peace to the sky just because you are supposed to even if you dont like it (note that I have not read War and Peace so I dont know if it is good or bad and I dont think Tolkien is crappy I just think his work is extremely overrated).

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Robert Jordan
    Salvatore
    Eddings(i know they are adescolent but they always drag me in)
    and as much as i dislike his style Tolkien is up there
    havent read hobb or martin...yet

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

And who said that is the only reason people like Tolkien? His books are damn good, yes, including the characters. Bilbo is certainly one of the most interesting characters I've read about, and I'm obsessed with the story of Fingolfin (even though there is only small amounts of writing about him).
    So methinks you should not make such assumptions.

19. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Michael Crichton, Mario Puzo, Arthur C. Clarke

20. joacqin

Media:
    Ah, I should have put in a disclaimer in my post up there Aikanaro, the novel Bilbo and the character Bilbo is of a whole other level than the Lord of the Rings. Bilbo is without a doubt my favourite Tolkien book, much much more likable than LotR.

What I meant was that people give Tolkien extra points just because he is Tolkien. I know I did up to a year or so ago when I really gave LotR some thought and had much other literature to compare it to. Most of the time it doesnt happen consciously, if I set down to read a book that is supposed to be great written by a writer exclaimed by everyone for decades or even centuries to be one of the great works of fiction then I have already formed my opinion of it before I start, then whatever fault I find in the book I put up to a fault in me instead of the book. Do you see what I mean?

This still doesnt change the fact that different people have different tastes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.