1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommended Reading?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Elessar, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

After numerous positive reviews of R.A. Salvatore's work I decided on purchasing the Icewind Dale Trilogy. I shouldn't be surprised that I found the writing geared towards a younger audience. The characters are simple and the plot about as original as the wheel. I'm dying to get my hands on some well written fantasy or historical fiction. Obviously the younger crowd will love this book but for those of you a little older (say 25 and up), what are you reading?

[ September 14, 2003, 18:41: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

As far as historical fiction is concerned, I would recommend the following books:

1. "Walking drum" by Louis d'Amour: A medieval historical novel, which describes the journeys and the adventures of young man, who is trying to find his pirate father.

2."The eagle has landed" by Jack Higgins: A german attempt to assasinate Churchill in 1943.

3."The eagle has flown" by Jack Higgins: The sequel of the above book. Not so good as "The eagle has landed" but Liam Devlin still rocks.

4."The pillars of earth" by Ken Follet: Another medieval novel set in England. It provides a very good insight of the medieval societies.

5."Gates of fire" by Steven Pressfield: A novel on the most legendary battle of the greek-persian wars, the battle of Thermopylae.

6."Pope Joan" by Emmanuel Roidis: How a woman managed to become the pope of the Roman catholic church. When this book was first published in the beggining of 20th century, the author was excommunicated by the greek-orthodox church.

Now, as for fantasy books, try "The Weaverworld" by Clive Barker, one of the best books, I've ever read.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Madeline l'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters are, IMHO, stellar.

[ September 13, 2003, 16:34: Message edited by: Oaz ]

4. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to look at A Wrinkle In Time and Weaveworld although they both sound more sci-fi than fantasy, am I right?

BOC, have you read the Lightbearer by Donna Gillespie or the Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley? I'm going to a look into a few of the books you've suggested in the historical fiction category.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

No, I haven't read them. As for the "Weaverworld", it isn't sci fi. The most accurate discription would be fantasy and horror.

6. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you want deatail and an interesting plot go read a Tom Clancy book.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you want historical fiction, and like US history around time of the US civil war, try Harry Harrison's "Stars and Stripes Forever".

It is a speculative fiction around what might have happened if Prince Albert had died before (rather than shortly after) he could help avert a war between the US and England due (in kind of straw and camel's back sort of way) to the Union's accosting a British steam ship and removing the two Confederate commissioners on board during the first year of the civil war.

8. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Tom Clancy has always been an author I've almost picked up. I'm just not sure the subject matter is of interest to me. I get enough of it watching the news.

B' TA, I am interested in that era. As a kid I read just about every Louis L'Amour book printed. Now I wouldn't call Louis a historical fiction writer (more western fantasy) he was a stickler for historical and geographical accuracy. I'm also a big fan of Larry McMurtry (Dead Man's Walk being an exception).

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I get my hands on even a quarter of the books put forth I'll be reading into next year some time.

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't know that they quite qualify in this category but about 3 years ago I made a great investment after seeing Armand Assante in "Oddysey" and bout The Iliad and Homer's Oddysey. Difficult to get my head around at first but I absolutely loved them both.

10. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Which translation did you read? I have the E.V. Rieu translations from Penguin Classics. I have to admit I had a tough time staying interested and The Iliad is still only partially complete. I can't remember when I bought them but it must have been sometime ago. The prices are really quite amazingly reasonable. I should take it up again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.