1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite book characters

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Argh, certainly not any fantasy book characters.

People like Holden Caulfield, Hester Prynne, John Proctor, Reverend Hale, Scout Finch, Atticus Finch, Holden Caulfield, Romeo, Juilet, Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Macduff, Puck, Holden Caulfield, Bottom and various other characters of literature and theater.

(Okay... I admit it, the characters from His Dark Materials trilogy are very interesting.)

2. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Zaphod Beeblebrox (sp?)! I just love his style!

Philip Marlow - Raymond Chandler. Described by my English teacher as the base of the modern detective genre. Personally I just like noiresque detectives. I still feel that none of the films have done justice to the books.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

lol speaking of wheel of time, Mat would be my favorites, always trying to stay out of trouble but always in the thick of it.

4. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I was, at first, drawing only from the fantasy genre but seeing some of the choices, I just had to add Randal McMurphy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey and Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call from Pulitzer Prize winning Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

PS: Arabwel, I'm finding that avatar very distracting :o ;)

5. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Raistlin Majere is my favorite. His qoute "hope is the denial of reality" has become one of my own personal favorite qoutes of all time. Aside from him, I have to give it up for Tasslehoff Burrfoot. He brings a whole new meaning to the term "honest thief". Drizzt Do Urden ranked fairly high in his youth, but over the years he has become a bit over-pious for my liking. And I would not be a true "Weis/Hickman fan without mentioning the befuddled old Paladine/Fizban/Nabzif.

6. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My favorite character are Crow,and Resolute from the Dragoncrown War Cycle books by Michael A. Stackpole.

7. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My absolute favorite character is Silk from the Belgariad (as mentioned by previous people) He's not a main character, he's just the best ever though :D *cough damn sexy*

Then after that I'd have to put them in a list of sorts:
    1. Zorro (from the original books/stories by Johnston McCulley and the really old tv show)
    2. Jarlaxle (R.A. Salvatore books)
    3. Olver DeBurrows (Crimson Shadow Trilogy)
    4. Indiana Jones
    5. Yoda -- I have to put in Yoda. Yoda's great. He's like the short green ungrammatical version of Gandalf :)
    6. Gandalf (of course)
    7. Fred and George Weasley (Harry Potter books)

There's actually quite a lot of others but those characters are harder to explain who they are and where they're from.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

hmm, lesse..

Leto Atreides - dune

Hermione - harry potter

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Tyrion Lannister - A Game of Thrones by G.R.R. Martin.

10. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Let's see.

Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings.

Croaker from The black army.

11. rcoutme Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well a lot of my well-liked characters have been already mentioned. However, one of them has not. Francisco D'Anconia from Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" has more style than any other character I have ever read. He could do it all and threw it into the faces of those who thought they could outwit him or use him.

12. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Gandalf or Mithrantir :cool: is number 1 from LotR
    Drizzt Do Urden from Forgotten realms
    Tanis from Dragonlance
    Most of the characters of Gibsons novells
    Kith Kanan from Dragonlance
    Harkls from the Forgotten Realms
    And some more

:cool:

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] A bit off topic - but since this is about the fourth mention of him:

Could someone please explain the appeal of Tanis half-elven? I read only three Dragonlance books (the first three by Weis and somebody) and at least in those Tanis is a bit useless. This supposed great leader is so tormented by having two women in love with him (oh that old problem!) that he spends almost all three books wallowing in self-pity and barely sparing a thought for any of his companions - up until the point where he narrowly avoids betraying them all despite his best efforts.

14. Champion of the Multiverse Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Winston Smith (6079 Smith W.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.