1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An aspiring writer

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Obad-Hai, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey, I am an aspiring writer and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for characters or plots and such? I would really like to make this into a series so as much detail as you feel you want to give me. I really like elves and want to have an elf as my main character, probably. Thanks!

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well it would be nice if you show us some of your work, we could then show you where improvement is needed

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Have you considered writing something besides fantasy? Keeping a journal, for example? Writing something that's just about whatever's on your mind? I find that a lot of people (especially on SP) decide they like fantasy, so they just start writing about it, without having mastered grammar or making good sentences first.

That said, revise, and revise. All stories need revising, especially anything you're going to put over the internet.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    There are a few co-operative stories in CS you could contribute to, should you be so inspired. I have to wonder though, how far your aspirations will take you if you don't already have some good stories to tell. :confused:

5. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

hmmm, curious.
    I've started writing a story as well, or rather have the idea, and plot for one, and the main character is also a male elf. Have you been reading my mind? Nah, kidding. Post parts of it in the Creative Surge forum, or if you like, you could PM me if you want someone to proofread, or just give an opinion.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Everyone has to start somewhere, Obad-Hai. Remember what Steinbeck said: if you write just one page a day, in a year you will have 365 pages, enough for a good length novel.

I can recommend one good book: _The Art of Fiction_ by John Gardner. I think it can help. He's a really good writer also - _Grendel, October Light, Freddy's Book_. He also wrote a few other books on fiction: _On Becoming a Novelist, and _On Moral Fiction_. They are good also, but the _Art of Fiction_ is the really good one, IMO. Also, if you can find them, any of the _Paris Reviews_. They are also really good sources on the craft of fiction by various writers. I wish you the best in your chosen craft, Obad-Hai.

7. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31

Thanks you for your advice Red. And I just didn't decide to write about fantasy because I came to SP, I have loved fantasy since the first day I could talk. My mother told me my first word was dragon. haha. Anyway I am only 16 so I hope to improve on my writing before I go off to University and, as my friends and family tell me, I am also a talented artist so I hope to put both my talents to good use. And i'm just looking for a little inspiration. I have one thought though, I am going to have a man hire a special team of undead slayers to hunt a vampyre that's been terrorizing the village of late. But there will be a twist near the end. ;) What do you think so far?

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Make the characters realistic. That is what holds my attention in most books.
    Also, you should get involved in free form roleplays, as they're really good for improving writing skills. www.nationstates.net is probably your best bet in that regard.

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Rallymama mentioned co-op stories, and you mentioned having an elf as a/the main character. Linking these two it might be useful for you to go and read, and mayhap join in, of the Story of the Stave which has an elf as one of the main characters. It may give you inspiration for your own story, and even if not it is an enjoyable read.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Obad-Hai - I think your story shows a lot of promise. Anything with vampires is usually interesting. Ann Rice caused this to really catch fire. It is an interesting story about how she wrote _Interview with the Vampire_. Her daughter had leukemia, and passed away. It is terrible, especially when a young one dies like that.

When I was in first grade, one of our classmates, Mary, (I still remember her name after all these years) passed away from the same disorder about midway through the school year. All of us used to catch ourselves sometimes just staring at her empty desk for the rest of the term. It was really tragic.

Anyway, getting back to Ann Rice, the awful experience of losing her daughter to a blood disease haunted her for a long time. Rice would dream about people losing all their blood and having to regain it through one form or another. She began to dream about vampires and that was how she became interested in them and as a result, began to write fiction.

People become writers for all different kinds of reasons. Tom Clancy used to sell life insurance. but became interested in submarines. He lived near the Naval Acadamy, in Maryland, and used to go off to the "yards" during the day, just to hang out and learn about the technology. His wife told him that he was wasting his time and that he should be selling insurance instead. Well, we all know what happened in the end. His first book, _The Hunt for Red October_ was huge. Good thing he didn't listen to his wife. He would still be selling insurance somewhere. It goes without saying that it is important to follow your dreams. You never know where they can take you. ;)

11. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hey! I'm a 16 year old fantasy writer too! What do you know? I actually just finished my first book and I'm trying to get an agent now. My best advice is just to jump into the writing. At some point you have to pick up grammar, spelling, and just good writing skills but it's easier to go back and fix that later if you have a plot set up and all the rest. For instance I started writing my book series in 7th grade -- coming back to it later, the writing was terrible. But the rest of it got better the more I wrote and I developed a more solid plot as I went along which made it easier to go back and completely re-write the beginning. So that's my advice, start writing and just continue it, no matter what. Also be sure to get as many people as you can to read it -- even people who hate fantasy; they'll pick up on things and tell you what to fix.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Silverwolf86 - I could not agree more. The tech stuff will take care of itself as long as the writer can emotionally involve the reader in the work. The thing about the plot is that it should be as much an "adventure" for the author as it is for the reader. At times the writer will be almost as surprised as the reader is as to how the story develops. Hope that makes sense.

[ July 29, 2003, 04:07: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

13. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31

Hey thanks for all the advice guys! It really helped. Ok my biggest problem is figuring out a plot and such. I mean I have a lot of ideas and stuff but I don't want to make it sound corny you know? It's just some books i've read i've been like 'oh my', you know? It's just kinda overwhelming. I'm not 100% this makes sense and all. It's just the plot that is giving me a hard time. I think I am fairly articulate and I fair well with grammar. It's just the plot. gah. Any suggestions?

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I have all sorts of ideas scrambling around my head, too, and I find that setting them down on paper (OK, OK, a *.doc file...) helps. Most of what I have would probably be considered character development, but who knows when they'll all coalesce into a coherent plot?

15. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I heard one time, when you know the plot a bit, you should write in steps. Just take it piece by piece. King Yaddie sends messenger to town -> Messenger arrives in the town -> Messenger goes into the local inn -> Messenger finds a few undead hunters. When you have the story like this, then you should write out the details. This is a suggestion I got once, but it didn't work for me. I guess some people just can't write like that.

I tried writing a bit, but my problem is that I start another story, before I can finish the previous. I probably have five or six good stories in my head, but I'm not patient enought to write them down. When I do sit down and write, I have to check it a few times, to makes sure I didn't make any spelling mistakes, switched words with completely different words, or just left out half sentences. This is really annoying.

16. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Rallymama is right, when you think of individual bits, write them down, then string eacj bit together. It also helps not to start at the beginning, but in the middle, or even the end, and workn backwards. Don't ask me why, It just is/

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Try this: Hemingway said: "Write about what you know." Here's an example: A high school teacher sees that in his school and classroom environment there develops a strong code of how students interact with each other. Over time he becomes aware that the power young students have over each other is extraordinary. So he sits down on his summer vaction and he writes a story about what he has seen. But he uses a standard horror plot to intermix with his experiences with young students. After the summer he doesn't think anything of his little allegory and he tosses it away. Then, his wife, who has been following what he is doing, fishes out his manuscript and submits it for him. The rest is publishing history.

Of course the writer is Steven King, and it is the story (at least that is how it was related to me)of how he came to write and publish his first book _Carrie_. This is the opposite of what happened with Clancy, (kind of a tale of two wives). Sorry could not resist.

Do the work of researching all you can on vampires, elves and bounty hunters (even those of the old west). Then choose a setting where you know how the elements fit well together. If you are familiar enough with your subject it will become second nature as the plot develops.

You will need a really strong set of characters (that goes without saying) but the characters will drive the plot. I still remember hearing J.D. Salinger once say: "I wonder how Holden would react to this or that?" (I'm paraphrasing). If you know your characters well enough their reactions will help you plot the story, because the story will be about how they think, feel and act.

[ July 29, 2003, 04:20: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

18. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31

Ok here is a little story that I wrote last night. I know it's probably a little rough but I think it has potential. Any pointers you guys wanna give me?

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000313

*let me know what you think so far!*

[Removed the copy of the post and linked to it in CS. Don't post the same thing in two places. Please read the forum rules.] -Tal

[ July 29, 2003, 12:10: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.