1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favourite Series

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Obad-Hai, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well which one is your favourite series....I know some of you might now have read these buy anywho..

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Favourite Series (40 votes.)

Favourite Series (Choose 1)
    * Lord of the Rings - 65% (26)
    * Dragonlance - 10% (4)
    * Forgotten Realms - 25% (10)

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

LOTR of course, there is no way FR could come anywhere close, and I've never read any DL. They sound pretty crappy however.

3. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

LOTR!! Yepp, out of those three LOTR is the best!!

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

...Out of those three LotR for sure. But there are better series around.

5. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you put Lord of the Rings in a poll, other books or series should be also very good. As much I like Dragonlance and Forgotten realms, they are still far away from LotR.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of these LotR hands down, no competition at all. There are some fairly good FR books out there though. Dragonlance has a long long way to go. However I think there are a bunch of fantasy series that are alot better than LotR, would have been nice if some more had been included.

My favourite series of all times are right now Robin Hobb's three series set in Farseer world and GRR Martin's a song of ice and fire. I am totally hooked on the Wheel of time and think it is still better than LotR even though I have been sorely disapointed by the last books.

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i went with the forgotten realms out of those three, but only because of the drizzt books and the fact that i dont like tolkiens writing style. the dragonlance books ive read were alright but FR and LOTR are much better than those. Obad, you should have added in the WOT and sword of truth series, they are the best out there IMHO

8. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ya sorry guys! These are the only series that i've read that I thought you guys would know about. Any suggestions for other series I should read?

9. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Los_Drizzt -- I totally agree! I went with Forgotten Realms but only cuz of R.A. Salvatore and because I'm not a big LOTR fan (I love the Hobbit though!) But what about the Wheel of Time, the Belgariad, the Recluce series, or Shannara? And whatever happened to the really old classic stuff like Xanth?? *sigh* The curse of the well-read fantasy reader. . . .

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The LOTR trilogy easily beats any FR literature hands down, though in terms of variety, FR wins.

DL has many more titles to its name, though the quality of many DL books are abysmal at best.

The only decent DL books I've read are the Magaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's main canon series and the Legend of Huma by a writer whose name I cannot recall at the moment.

To sum it up: 1st place-LOTR, 2nd- FR, 3rd- DL.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'd like to say LOTR with the others, but I have more happy memories of the Dragonlance Trilogy. Many of my PnP campaigns in high school were set in Krynn, I've been a Knight of Solomnia, a minatour (loved the Legned of Huma with Kaz .. hoping the new book doesn't suck), even a kender.

Its not better quality, but has more personal memories ... so it wins.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LOTR of the ones listed, of course. But other good ones were the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (first series; 2nd was kind of 'draggy'), Terry Brooks, and Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (the last one maybe doesn't belong here, but it was still a great series).

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I would say LOTR as well, but in my mind it does not really classify as a "series." I see a series as being more than three books, and if you want to get technical, LOTR is only one book (as Tolkien originally intended). As for me, some of my favorite series are the FR books, as well as the "Ender series" by Orson SCott Card. I also have most of the books in the Star Wars series published pre-1998 (I think) as well as a number of shorter series by other authors.

my two bits.

15. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

George R. R. Martin: A song of ice and fire. Lord of the rings isn't a trilogy to me, Tolkien intended to release these novels in one book, and in fact they are one novel. On the other hand, I'm quite bored with the usual fantasy stuffs. I don't like FR novels, Dragonlance was quite good, but nothing to talk about and the first novels of the Wheel of time series wasn't that bad, but the last ones... Martin's novels are original, dramatic, with very good plot and very good characters.

16. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I enjoy the Dragonlance series but they get killed by LOTR. I haen't read any Forgotten Realms.

17. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Wheel of Time is my top favourite spin-off saga...

18. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I quite enjoyed the Dragonlance Cronicles(Weis & Hickman) and the FR books I read(R.A. Salvatore) but the Lord of the Rings is something above all these. It is the best. Partly because it was the first fantasy books I ever read and partly beacuse I like Tolkien's writing style a lot.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Never having read a single volume of either FR or DL, I didn't bother to vote. Other series to consider are:
    Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea
    Frank Herbert's Dune
    Thieves' World
    Roger Zelazny's Amber
    Elizabeth Scarborough's Song of Sorcery, et al.

... off the top of my head. ;)

20. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I went for Dragonlance just on the strength of Dragonlance Chronicles which I loved mainly because its really easy to read :) . FR has very few books I really liked apart from the Cleric Quintet by Salvatore. I didn't go for LOTR because although some of it is in a league of its own, some of it i find really boring now.

Another series to consider would be: Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott but I bet no one has read them. If you havent you should

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.