1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you keep all your books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rallymama, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sadly, I don't have my own house, I am yet too young... So space is a problem. I have only three built-in shelving units in my room for my books, and I am running out of space quickly. I usually have to clean the thing out every five years because i outgrow some of the crappy books I had bought when i was younger. Those I donate to my church rummage sale or whatever... most of 'em sell too...
    But yes, so many books and too little time and space... *sigh*

2. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Never. Throwing a book away is an unthinkable act to me :)

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I keep all the books I've read...Even some of my textbooks from college and law school. You never know when you might need them again.

As for paperback books, I have a place near my house called the Bookateria or Book Nook or something like that. You can swap paperbacks there, or pick them up for next to nothing...Always good for when you're looking for something new to read.

4. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I do clear out my collection of books from time to time. I donate them to charity when I'm getting rid of them. Of course, I do have some books that I will never part with; Issac Asimov's Robot, Empire, and Foundation Series, JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, & Silmarillion, just to name a few.

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've kept most of the books I've had, except for some school books, which I donated to the local library. But I don't think I could ever part with my fantasy books, since I'm striving for a complete collection. :D

6. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Spellbound...Member of the week? That's just blatant favoritism...! I wish I was a cute chick that donated regularly! ;) :lol: :grin: :spin: :roll:

7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

So far, I threw away very few books. (i.e. the Icewind Dale-Trilogy and the first Shannara-Trilogy). Some, I lent away and never got them back.
    But someday soon (I hope), when I move from my parents home, I will clean my collection. I m thinking especially of the several Shadowrun and Battletech novels. Most of them are rubbish. I think, I will donate them to the local library.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Ooooh, Bel, you make me blush. :shake: Who best to handle all the money but an attorney! :p

9. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Muwahaaahaaaa....Did I tell you I was going to Rio next weekend? ;) J/K :lol:

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stay on topic please...

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Just for the record, I counted the books I re-shelved when cleaning today... 144 of them, and that doesn't include the ones that are temporarily missing, borrowed to someone or back home. They take up 6 shelves.... I think I need a bigger bookcase.

12. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I still have my lunch money from the 3rd grade. I'm a packrat and more so a horder.

Everything I ever owned I still have. (for the most part)

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Im not rich enough to buy outright every book i want to read. So I buy them on the basis of return assumed.
    This basically means that while selling the book to me for whatever decided price, the guy initials it. Then when Ive had enough of it I can return it to him and he will remburse the deposit. Corruption of a library but with a wider and customisable bank of books.
    I get to read a book for $0.25 but have a pretty pathetic library, unless you are going to count my Mech. Engg. texts. Four years of perspiration right there.

14. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have 250 books. I don't throw them away, even if they suck.

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Well, I'm moving house this month, and recently packed my books. Into 2 MFO boxes. This is about 5 tv sized-boxes of books. I really need to ditch some...

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I still have all my books, but I've had a stack in one corner which I've been meaning to get rid of for almost a year or two now. I only ditch books I don't like.

17. The Wise One Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Wow, I never knew that some people had book collections that large (600 books!?! That's crazy). But, yes, I also tend to keep all of my books. I also try to buy books instead of borrowing them from the library (to keep them).

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only the ones that I really enjoyed reading. Otherwise, we give them to charity for re-sale purposes.

19. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well I'm a bit like DMC and Sprite. I have the belief that some random point in time I'm going to have a craving to read one of the bizairre books I've picked up along the ages and never really liked. And of course there are some books that I knew I didn't really understand yet so I vowed to keep them around and read them again later. My Dad likes to donate books to the library but when it comes to books I really like to create my own library -- set up a room with bookshelves and comfy poofy chairs and a fireplace and put all the books I've ever bought in my entire life in there. I'm also a real stickler about keeping my books in order (by their series) and in perfect condition but this really doesn't work at the moment because I've got 4 other people in my family who all want to read some of my collection (and so then the pages get dog-eared or torn covers and the hundred other things my irresponsible things my sibs do to tick me off) and my Mom whenever she finds one of my books around the house likes to just throw it back on my bookshelf at random. Oh to live on my own. . .

20. Alcyone Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I wouldn't throw out any book I've purchased, but I will get rid of them on a pretty regular basis. Like everyone I do have a set of books that I will own for a long time or forever but If i don't like the book and I don't have ani intention of re-reading than I see no reason to keep the books around. (insulation, furniture, WOMD?) I'm all about selling them or taking them to a local place that lets me trade. Even with taking thes actions I still have more than enough bookds to fill the shelves.
    So to answer the original question, I moved into my house almost two years ago and It still isn't llng enough ago for me to forget just how heavy boxes of books are. So unless you need the furniture, cut the fat.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.