1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommendations please.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Holiday season is coming up and I'm looking for some books I haven't read but are an absolutely must read. Preferebly fantasy books, any universe.

Books I've read:

All Salvatore books.
    the sword of truth series
    Death gate cycle
    Chronicles of Aurian by maggie furey
    Lord of the rings
    Elaine cunningham's dark elf serie
    Cormyr trilogy
    Elminster - didn't like it that much.

I've been thinking about 'song & swords' and Weis and Hickmans first Dragonlance trilogy.

Please give me some advice on other books.

[ July 04, 2003, 01:37: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Have you really not yet read "Dune?" That's a must, at least the first three books! The 10 volumes of Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber" should keep you busy for a day or two, as well.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Saga of the Exiles (mix of science fiction and historical fantasy)
    Intervention (Modern science fiction)
    Galactic Milieu Trilogy (science fiction)
    No matter what, you should read these books. They should be compulsary reading.

I have also just finish reading The Bone Doll's Twin, which is utterly brilliant. Read The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb as well.
    A Song of Ice and Fire mayhaps?
    The T'En Trilogy?
    Or if you want light reading try some of the Discworld novels.

[ July 02, 2003, 17:13: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

4. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tad williams' Memory, Sorrow & Thorn is a must-read!! It's a little different than others... which makes it very good.
    So that's my recommendation.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Modesits Recluce series is worth a read, not brilliant but good enough.
    Feist's first books are worthwhile but his best is the empire series with Janny Wurtz.

Moorcock's Von Bek series which I recently read is also definetely something I would recommend, as is his Elric books.

As for sci-fi so is Asimov always a winner. I also really liked McMaster Bujold's Miles series.

Try and scan through this forum and you should find more ideas that you know what to do with.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, now you can add one more -dead- topic to the list...

Try these:

The Dragons of <insert one of the four months here>... (From the Dragonlance serie)

Terry Pratchett, any of the Discworld series.

Robert Jordan. Part #1 of the Wheel of Time.

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmmm how about:
    Chronicles Trilogy - Dragonlance
    Legends Trilogy - Dragonlance
    War of the Spider Queen - Forgotten Realms
    They also say that Artemis Fowl is also really good.
    Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is a MUST read.

9. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I highly recommend A Song of Ice and Fire series from George R. R. Martin. The first three book is available (A game of thrones, A clash of kings, A strom of swords) and they are fantastic. Perhaps Martin is one of the best fantasy writers in these days.
    Another good writer is Robin Hobb.
    I've red her Farseer trilogy - it was a real blast.

These books are very different from the mainstream sword and sorcery fantasy, and imho they are far better.

10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

Try Ursula Le Guin - The wizard of Earthsea. Different kind of fantasy.
    Dune is pretty good.
    Or try Conan, but stick to original R. Howard's stories. His epigons like Sprague Camp suck.
    Anyway did you read Silmarillion and Hobbit?

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Haven't read the hobbit or silmarillion, this because every time I start with the Lord of the Rings, I'm not able to finish it out of sheer boredom. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book but not my style I guess.

I think I'll try Dune, since I've heard some good things about it. And after all those forgotten realms books it might be nice to start with 'Dragonlance'

Thanks for the replies so far :thumb:

12. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Apeman, The Hobbit is a different kind of book than Lord of the Rings, maybe you can take a chance with it.
    And there's a very good mainstream fantasy writer, Raymond E. Feist. The Riftwar Saga and the Empire series are a must read from him.

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Joaqcin, did you really like Feists and Wurts' Empire series? I thought it was the worst of them all. Too much sex and politics.

Sara Douglas' Axis Trilogy is good, brings in new ideas instead of sticking to the vanilla elf-dwarf-human template.

Kate Elliot's series (I can't recall the title) is good. The first book is King's Dragon, then Prince of Dogs, The Burning Stone and Child of Flame. Have a look.

George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Didn't think much of Song of Fire and Ice. And only made it halfway through A Clash of Kings. Martin just doesn't handle his characters well enough to keep interest for the long haul. But the first book of the Wheel of Time was excellent as was The Great Hunt . But I could not make through Dragon Reborn .

15. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

The Silmarillion is nothing at all like LotRs. It may take a while to get into but once you know who's who it's one of the best books I've ever read.

Raymond Fiest's books are also great. Great characters, wonderful story. Excelent books.

16. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The Kate Elliott series is called the Crown of Stars and is excellent.

The Liveship Traders is Robin Hobbs second trilogy and is mostly unrelated to the Farseer trilogy and I think its a bit better (less depressing anyway).

The Golden Key by Kate Elliott, Melanie Rawn and someone else who I can never remember is my favourite fantasy book. Its quite hard to find though and is very different to most fantasy.

17. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Non-fantasy books:
    I'd say a historic novel. Example: "Gates of Fire" and other similar. Or maybe classsic literature("Whitefang" is great).

Fantasy books:
    The others recomended fantasy books so I wont bother anymore with them.

18. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Yeah, the Hobbit is very different from the Lord of the Rings. I always adored the Hobbit -- very classic fantasy style, but I've never been able to finish Lord of the Rings (and I've tried 15 times) I just get bored either in the 2nd or 3rd book because it starts to seem like Frodo and Sam wander around forever always lost and then it's all battles and I tend to have problems visualizing his epic battles.

If you liked R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books then I would also have to reccommend the Crimson Shadow -- not as widely read but easily just as good (if not better in some cases.) Also his DemonWars Sagas are good though a bit thick and long in the reading.

I also reccommed Piers Anthony's Xanth series -- just don't read the recent ones, and Total Recall by him. I've also been a big fan of the Belgariad and Mallorean by David Eddings and some of the Shanarra books by Terry Brooks are wicked good. Also, if you like a lot of theology hidden in with your fantasy, C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy is also pretty good but as I said; lots of theology.

19. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31

Well, It could be caused by the Czech translation (that is not very likely however) but Crimson shadow seemed to be pretty bad to me.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Speaking of Piers Anthony: On a Pale Horse is still one of the best fantasy books out there, IMO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.