1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you choose a book?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rotku, May 20, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] The idea came to me just as I was posting the last post. How do you choose a good book?

My self I read the back of the book. If it says a lot about the book i put it down straight away. Then I look at the cover. Ha, "Never judge a book by its cover" they say. Then the author and the title. If the back of the book doesn't say much, the cover looks good and the title is good I've brought it before you could even blink.

What about you? How do you choose a book?

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Usually, I talk to the people whom I know have a taste in books similar to mine, and ask them what books they'd recommend.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

When I want to read a book (that doesn't happen very often) I usually also start by looking what other people think of it. I read reviews and ask people who already read the book, what they thought of it. If I get a positive reaction, I start reading the book. I'll never read a book of which other people say it sucked.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think a combination of fame and reviews help me to make a decision. Generally if it is termed a "classic" it is probably worth reading for some reason or another.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Either by its cover art or from reviews. Or just picking a random cheap book.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I walk either into a bookshop or a library. Mostly after work. Then I just walk around, taking randomly books (hm, maybe I am attracted by their covers ?), read the description on the back, take a glimpse inside. That ends mostly in buying or taking a book, I never heard of before. That procedure works for me, because I often stumble over books which are very interesting.

And bookshops and libraries are very pleasent places to be.

I am usually against recommending of books. Except the advice comes from a librarian or someone who works in a bookshop, because they have usually expirience, in judging the taste of others. Recommendations of friends.... bad expirience usually, because taste is something very individual.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Since I primarily read sci-fi and fantasy, I have been reading the various books that have won the Hugo or Nebula award. This is a good way to find a good book, and often introduces me to an author I may otherwise not have found out about.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've been having a tough time lately. In my fields of study, I know a good book by publisher house, background, etc.

When it comes to fantasy books, they all look alike. I do some trial and error, get some advice from friends, and read reviews on Amazon.com.

I haven't bought a fantasy book since George RR Martin. That's how stuck I am.

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I always look at the cover, if it has got many colours I buy it :D
    No, seriously, I go after the back of the book, and if it's interesting I'm trying to get some informations about it.

10. Woody Woodrow Banned

Back of the book, then author.

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

ummm...
    Seems like people put a lot of work into choosing what book to read. I hate when people recommend books. Usually when someone recommends a book i stay away from it. There are one or two people i listen to. My mother seems to know what type of books i like so when ever she recommends a book i read it, but apart from that i hate recommendations.

12. Woody Woodrow Banned

Couldn't agree more. The only person I take reccomendations from is my father.

13. Rotku

Yeah parents are great in that way. :)

14. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

First of all i talk to people i know that have a good taste in books (meaning they have the about same preferences i have) then i go to the bookstore i read the summary and the comments on the back cover of the book then i see the front cover and if i like all of the above i buy it.
    That is plain and simple. :cool:

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I generally look at the author first. If I have read one of their books before and I enjoyed it, I tend to put that above any others. Otherwise I read the back.

16. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I borrow them. Very cheap and you can only lose time with crap ones. Anyway, I won't re-read most of the books.

17. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I usually look at the cover and title if it looks and sounds interesting I read the first page, if I like it and get into it I'll buy it

18. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

How do I choose a book, eh? well, first i walk into the fantasy/science fiction area of the store... :D Reading the back/front flap is a good way to see what a book's about, and looking at the front cover is always helpful. It shows you the characters in a typical situation for them (usually) and that helps you get a feel for the book. I always read the first page--or more, if it's good. Then if i like what I see (and if i have enough money...) I buy it

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  20. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I just started reading fantasy about a year ago and have become so enthralled with the different stories and authors, that I've decided to work my way through the list on SP, pretty much from top to bottom. It's all laid out nicely, especially for the long-running stories (like Salvatore's Drizzt books). They're all listed in order on SP -- I don't have to worry about getting out of sequence -- just follow the layout. It's worked great for me. I have my favorite authors, of which I go deeper into their works....but my overall goal is to read everything that's listed there -- which will be a neverending quest, since new ones are added with each update! In my mind, I couldn't find a better way to pick a book! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.