1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ulysses.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by enjan, May 8, 2003.

1. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Alright, for the second time in my life I tackled the three most noteworthy novels of James Joyce. I had an easy enough time with "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", and with a some trouble I got through "Finnegan's Wake". I was relatively disappointed by both of these novels, and after many debates with friends of mine I decided they were both heavily over-rated, but undeniably well-written (I realize now this was no major epiphany).

Now, I decided I'd try going for the big one... the now infamous "Ulysses". I remember a few years ago I read it for the first time, and while reading it I had a very nonchalant attitude and I figured I had missed out on something that gave the book meaning (I mean after all, it's supposed to be the most significant work of the 20th century, and me being not *too* stupid I figured I should be able to get something out of it). After painfully re-reading it very closely just recently I realised just how disappointing the book really is. Even after following up on all the obscure references, and paying great attention to it, it still wasn't something I got any kind of enjoyment out of, and I would equate it to shooting myself in the foot (or something equally unpleasant, take your pick). I just need to clear this up: that's not to say that "Ulysses" is not a great work from a standpoint of sheer literary quality and craftsmanship, so to speak. It's perhaps the only book I could call truly "great" without at all enjoying it. Now to get to the meat of the topic...

I'd like to hear from anybody here on SP who's gone through this ordeal, and what you think of "Ulysses" or just James Joyce in general, etc.

NOTE: For anyone who has read nothing of James Joyce, I urge you to stay away, and I think most people will tell you the same thing. If you choose to read any of his work, make sure to have plenty of aspirin on hand.

[ May 08, 2003, 06:52: Message edited by: enjan ]

2. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I am quite surprised by your opinion.

Well most people say they read and how it was great without reading it...
    The book is very good IMHO. In that time all novels were realistic (Joyce was nearly could not stay in catholic Ireland anymore, and the book was banned for long, well because of some scenes), he transfered old Greek myth to one day of a Dubliner. The main thing to make him a breaking point of literature (with Kafka and Proust) is the use of the "flow of consiousness" (maybe not proper word, translated from Czech). Many writers used it after him, which makes his influence even greater.

As for me, I like him a lot. He is *very hard* to read, you must be perfectly concentrated to enjoy it.
    (that's why it so atractive for intelectual snobs)
    I admit Ulysses has hardly any story, but I liked it.
    Well there are great books made of epic story like LOTR, LeGuin's works and there are books Like Ullyses, Divine Comedy, The Metamorphosis, that make you think and such. There are also some in between like Dick's books (Scanner darkly, Do Androids dream of eletric sheep?), Lem's Solaris, Hašek's Švejk...

All like all this sorts.

3. enjan Gems: 5/31

Well, I won't argue his influence as a writer, his stream-of-consciousness method of writing was definitely original, and I'd have to have to agree, he probably did have a great effect on several noteworthy writers that followed. Some people find that stream-of-consciousness allows for stronger character development, perhaps a higher level of immersion for the reader, etc. I would say that's valid, but to be frank, for me it was a pain in the ***. Character development is important as is immersion, but I'd much rather he expanded on the character less blatantly. That's just my personal view, I can certainly respect your opinion, though it too surprises me.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Enjan -- Have you tried the _Dubliners_? It is probably the best written set of short stories in the English language. If you haven't, begin with "The Dead." You will spend weeks thinking about it afterwards. It is the "perfect" short story. IMO.

5. enjan Gems: 5/31

Yes, I read "The Dubliners" approximately... 3 years ago I think. I may re-read it, but as I remember I was impressed by the power of the writing, but only two of the stories really made me think, if I remember correctly they were called "The Dead" and "Little Clouds". I may read it again if the mood strikes me...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.