1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ever read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Compulsive Dementia, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just what it says, or any books in the series. And what did you think of it?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Utterly brilliant.

42, the meaning on life, the universe and everything!

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Every single one :)

4. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I read the first book. The part where a missle turns into a whale really cracked me up. Good light reading.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it.

What I like best is, that it took Ford somehting like ten years to the change the entry for humans in the guide from "harmelss" to "mostly harmless". And the guy who proves that god does not exist and gets crashed by car while crossing the street.

6. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31

If you thought the whale and pot of petunias (sp?) was funny, you should read the other books, especially the third one, I think. It really enlightens the whole things, and is really funny.

7. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Really good book. It's pretty funny too.

8. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Vogon Poetry. Babylonian fish and proof of nonexistence of God ("Oh, I did not thought of this one..." he says and disappears in a cloud of logic)
    And the best one: Don't ever throw Q-letter in the *some plant, forgot which one, tavolník in czech* bush!

:thumb:

9. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31

I thought it was the babble fish, but hey. Which reminds me that numbers on the bills of checks don't behave the same as regular numbers (there is no connnection to the number of people that show up, what they eat and how expensive it is, and how many people are ready to pay for it).

10. Ralgnar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It's actually the Babel Fish, as in the tower of babel, where, in the bible, different languages were created. Hence its purpose.

11. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Babel = Babylon in Czech.
    Sorry.

12. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I've read restaurant at the end of the universe. However i have the first three (the best ones IMHO) on cassete, word for word, read by Douglas Adams himself. I love them! I listen to them so often (the first three, i lost the last two :( ) that i can quote parts, though not recently.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31

There's even a computer game. Actually 2. Douglas Adams made one story extra up for another game.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Compared to Pratchett's books, I found it very shallow and not very funny.

15. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Adams is a genious I tell you.

16. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31

Yup. I actually heard that the whole things started out as some radio show. And my parents had the computer game, but found it very frustrating, for no apparent reason...........

17. Iago Gems: 24/31

It's damn tricky. I wouldn't have made it on the vogon-ship without the walkthrough.

I actually loved the game so much, I loaded a whole bunch of the games of that company down. Text-adventures. Infocom. This is Off-Topic. But anyway, if someone loved the Books, I would recommend to check those games out.

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

[ April 28, 2003, 00:46: Message edited by: Yago ]

18. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Those games are so bloody hard! I forgot the ray gun that you pick up on the vogon ship and then died later on. I didnt continue playing.

I loved the 5th book, mostly harmless. The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy.

The BBC did a television series of the first 2 books, and if you're too lazy to read them, see the videos. Its a crack up.

19. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I tried hard to read all the literature written by Douglas Adams that I could find, so I definitely have read all of the books in the series. I share the same opinion as most people, that it's very funny, and I found it eerily profound too.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just downloaded the game from an abandonware website. It looks, interesting to say the least.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.