1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What kind of character do you love reading about?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

What characters do I like reading about?
    Hard question. The best answer I could probably give would be "any characters". As long as they are well developed and a lot of thought put into them while they were been written.
    I dislike extreme characters (ie. extremely evil or good) and characters who think a lot of them selves (although these can be funny sometimes).

[ May 24, 2003, 10:28: Message edited by: RotKU ]

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I enjoy reading about characters with cold calculating minds, like Edmond Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo. The way he plans the downfalls of all the people who betrayed him.

Mind you I do enjoy reading about characters whos only thought is to fight. Jaime Lannister from Geore RR Martin's books for instance, but that may only because I love this comment

3. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] The best characters are original, fresh ones. Sarcastic ones are good, and they don't have to be a 'Knight in Shining Armor' 'Warrior of the Light' goodguy. I myself like wrting with characters who don't want to be involved with saving the world because they'd rather live to be a ripe old age. Mercenaries are wonderful main characters, because they just want their pay.

4. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have a weakness for rogue/outlaw types who seem to be all about money but have much more depth and reason to them. And they have a constant witty remarks demeanor about them that almost verges on the point of annoying but not quite. Like Silk from the Belgariad -- he's always making wisecracks that would probaby be annoying after a while in person but in the books, crack you up. And like it when the characters are so outrageous that you never really know what they're going to do and so it makes it completely hilarious -- Jarlaxle in Servant of the Shard is a definite example of this.

On a more classical note, Robin Hood and Zorro always struck a chord with me. I love that type of hero. The selective highwayman who robs only the evil and enemies -- another type of rogue. Oliver DeBurrows of the Crimson Shadow Trilogy is also a lot like that. He constantly goes and robs all the rich merchants who are all supporters of the evil king and then uses the money to buy coats to give away to street urchins.

Oh and in typical rogue fashion, they have to be able to pick locks and set up traps! That's a majorly fun part of it!

Ohhh! Another example is Han Solo -- he seems to be all about the money but winds up helping the rebellion anyway. And he's definitely rogue-ish and constantly making side-long remarks and quips. Mad fun

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

For me it really depends on how developed the character is, but i lean towards rougish characters like Gord ,Entreri and Silk. The alignment doesnt matter as long as they are developed.

6. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I like people that are evil, but are struggling to become good. I also like people who are very good. ala Stirm Brightblade.

7. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I like reading about everyone in The Forgotten Realms :D (I only have Drizzt books right now, though)

8. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hmmm My favourite characters to read about? Would have to say evil, though not 100%. Evil characters are usually sarcastic, which is funny and the have attitude. Some of my favourites are;
    Kitiara, Raistlin and Entreri. I love reading about magic and thieves to. Much fun

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Chaotic good charecter using both brains and brawn. I would have said CN but most authors prefer their protagonists to be shown in the white light. However it is important that the charecter have use of his free will and purpose.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Loners for sure. Characters in the vein of The Gunslinger - Roland of Gilead who are faced with some form of tragedy and must struggle on their own to overcome said tragedy. Also characters who have responsibility thrust on them, slowly come to terms with it and succeed without an overblown ego. I guess that describes average people hey?

11. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Characters who are competent, I'm talking about both brains and skill with the ability to keep a cool head in a crisis. Like Sherlock Holmes or Raistlin.

[ September 05, 2003, 15:33: Message edited by: rastilin ]

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, people who slip into evil are good, not just people who were always evil and always will be because the story needs a bad guy. A well developed bad guy who isn't just evil. Was once a normal(ish) person, yet has for some reason gone evil.

13. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I enjoy reading about a character who is forced to discover depths of strength within him/herself that were never dreamed possible. Particularly, I like characters who discover some unusual or heretofor unknown ability within themselves. Examples include Andre Norton's Simon Tregarth of the Witch World, Christopher Stasheff's Rodney "Gallowglass" D'Armand of Gramarye, and many of the protagonists of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.

I guess that deep down, I wish that I could discover some such hidden power within myself. :D

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A reluctant hero/hroine. It's not about whether he/she have the skill or talent to be one. But rather the conflict of "to be or not to be" a hero, that he/she is undergoing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.