1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the most "timeless" story?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What would you say is the story that has passed from generation to generation unabated for the longest time. I think it would be the Oddysy or some of that Shakespere stuff. They aren't excatly my favorite, but I guess they are pretty good or something considering they have been around for so very long.

2. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The Bible ;)

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Any "rite of passage" story is timeless, so take that as you will.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The Bible, viewed as a piece of literature, has been around for quite some time. Other long running stories include the Japanese "Tale of Genji" and the Babylonian "Gilgamesh and Enkidu" Both of those suckers are ANCIENT!

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Beowulf?

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yeah, Frog, Beowulf is one of the oldest stories from Anglo-Saxon culture. The version as we know it was set down between 800 -- 1100 AD, IIRC. The basic story, though, had probably been around for a lot longer. The two I mentioned have been around for centuries before Christ.

7. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

the Aeneid is ancient, though it may not be the most well-known, it's definitely one of my favs.

8. Mark Nelson Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Damsel in Distress? The princess gets kidnapped by the evil what have you. In Scifi this can mean Darth Vader and in D&D or computer games such as NWN it can mean someone like Klauth or whoever the bad guy flavor of the game is.

9. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Very interesting all,I think I agree with Sorbo, even though I said differently. I was very, tired, at the time. :)

10. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Thanks, for agreeing with me Kovalis Darkfire :) and my name is SorVo! :flaming:

[So is your full name Kebin Sorvo? ;) - BTA]

[ April 13, 2003, 04:10: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

11. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Kovalis Darkfire: Sorry, but You meant Odysseia from Homeros? (I'm using greek forms as they are used in Czech)

12. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm pretty sure, that yes.

Anyway, I think the Bible is quite ancient. And all those rites of passage stories as well.

13. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, ArrynMorgerim, it's actually Oddysseia and Omiros in Greek but in English it's Oddyssey and Homeros. Anyway Oddyssey is the oldest manuscript, or at least one of the oldest. 800-700 B.C.

14. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think it's definitivley the Trojan war and the Oddyssey. They made it for the sake of their stories and without the help of religious duty.

But India, China and Japan have surely stories of their own.

15. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I'd say the Iliad and the Oddyssey (sp?). They are definately two of the oldest epic stories that are still read around the world.

16. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The Iliad, the Aeneid, and the Odyssey were all written about the same time period, that being the end of the Greek Age of Heroes. Hoever, the Iliad and the Odyssey were written, as has been mentioned above, somewhere in the 1100 B.C. to the 800 B.C. era (the Greek Dark Ages). The Aeneid was written by Virgil in the early A.D., so isn't really in the running (but deserves a mention nonetheless).

However, the oldest story would probably be of the origin of man, or religious stories (usually the same thing). Since you did not restrict the discussion to written stories, folklore and so on beats any written work hands down. Given that, it is possible that various barbarian tribes whose culture has still been preserved in some form could easily qualify as the oldest stories passed from generation to generation.

I don't know as much about the Asian cultures and their traditions, but it seems they got an even earlier start on writing and organized legends than Western culture, so some of the legends of their gods might be the oldest we can prove the existence of in olden times.

17. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find it more than a little strange that on this site, Lord of the Rings has yet to be mentioned. So I'll do the honors ... Lord of the Rings, far and away.

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Lord of the Rings has only been around for a few years. I don't understand what you mean by saying that.

19. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm sure you meant decades instead of years, Kovalis. ;)

20. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It doesn't matter G'Jakob. We're talking about 800 B.C. and he mentions Lord of the Rings which is written in the 50's (or 60's, i dont remember)

Well, as for the most timeless story, Egyptians (and Sumerians even earlier) invented writing though I don't know if they used it in writing stories apart from their laws etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.