1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's you favourite character in Fantasy books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Tonic, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
  2. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I would have to sat Drizzt Do'Urden. He is an excellant swordsman, and has a good philosiphy on how to live your life. I have been reading books with Drizzt in them for the last four years. i can't put them down. They are writen by R. A. Savatore

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

For me, it would be whoever manages to kill Drizzt or Elmisnter ;) :p .

But seriously, I think I cannot choose a favorite character, as most fantasy characters are not extremely three-dimensional or human (or Elf, Orc, whatever). This ain't to say that fantasy is bad, but that more absolutes and ideals exist in such a world, so more things get turned into cardboard.

4. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Elminster is interesting, but primarily because his power, not person. He's far too unrealistically virtuous. At least Drizzt has a clear dark, and more humane side to him as well.

Still, the most interesting characters would have to be the following:

-Bruenor
    -A. Entreri
    -Jason Cosmo

And the winner, even though (or especially) I learned to hate him in the end, Raistlin of Dragonlance. Read all the books about him that I know of. And I have to say, rare few have managed to describe some character so realistically. Raistlin was never either good or evil, but always the model example of what a human is. The complexity of his nature never ceases to entertain me.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @C'Jakob - Ever read the Chronicles of Amber ... ?

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd say...

Elric
    Belgarath
    Binabik from Williams Osten Ard books
    Sparhawk from Earthsea

Oh, I nearly forgot Fizban
    "I have got a wonderful spell here." :D

7. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Druss the Legend. Hands down the toughest, most uncompromising man in the world (any world). Someone who never backs down and never, ever looks the other way.

8. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Fizban is great!

*Potential spoiler for anyone who has not finished the Dragonlance Chronicles*

It's not every day you get to read about Paladine, Krynn's great god of good, tripping over a tree root and proceeding to have an argument with the tree.

I liked him so much I named my Great Dane Fizban.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

dmc - No, I have not. But I would love to see a fantasy book that contradicts my stance.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's been a while since I've read WOT -- who is Elan Morin Tedronai? I remember many of the characters, but this one eludes my recall.

11. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Elan Morin Tedronai was the name of the Betrayer of Hope before he took on the name Ishamael.

C'Jakob, if you want to read a fantasy series that has characters that aren't the typical 2-D character from most Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance type novels read the three novels from The Farseer by Robin Hobb. Fitz is one of the best written characters that I have ever read.

12. Evil Eye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Waylander from David Gemmel, and Gandalf. Pug from the Magicians Apprentice is cool too.

13. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Fabius Maximus, Sparhawk is not from Earthsea... He is from Eddings' world Ellenium universe...

14. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Flint Fireforge, when have you met such a grumpy but loving dwarf? just ask Tas burrfoot :D

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Elan, the main character in Earthsea is if not named Sparhawk something very similar. Eddings more or less stole the name right off.

16. Szeiche Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Raistlin and Fizban are the best!

too bad Raistlin had to [snip]

[Huge spoiler removed. Have some consideration for the fact that not everyone has read all of the DL books already.] -Tal

[ March 25, 2003, 15:03: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

17. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Elan Morin Tedronai:

Did you read Earthsea? The main charakter is called Sparhawk, but his true name is Ged. *No Spoiler*

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I would like to add one to my earlier post:

Pharaun Mizzrym from the War of the spider Queen books.

19. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Right now, probably either Pug from Feist's books, or Mab the Seer (John White).

20. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The proud and mighty barbarian, Wulfgar, son of Beorngar. He is so buff. He once picked up a camel and threw it at some adversaries. Now a camel weighs a few hundred pounds, so it would be one thing to even pick it up, but to actually throw it with enough force to nock down three men... WOW! :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.