1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just got the new HP book a few days ago and it's OK so far........I just don't like the way the characters have turned out so far(I'm somewhere around page 180).

I plan on starting the second book in the Wheel of Time once I find it. The book shops around here aren't well stocked.

2. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

American gods from Neil Gaiman. A very good work, though I liked his Smoke and Mirrors better. Smoke and Mirrors is fantastic, one of the best books that I've red in the last few years. All in all, Gaiman rocks! :D

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Reading ....

The Seven Conflicts (a marriage help book)

Conan the Valiant

and

The Spine of the World (really need to get better with my FR trivia, and this was on sale).

Note ... after buying Spine of the World, I noticed it was a sequel "The Silent Blade". Can anyone give me a 2 min overview of that book so I'm not clueless here?

4. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Jester and Road To Perdition

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

at the moment im reading The Thousand Orcs again since ive read every other book i own(400 or so) at least 2 times. Mathetais its really worth reading Silent Blade,I did the same thing as u and then went back and got Silent Blade and its worth it.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Mathetais - Well the events in The Silent Blade are mostly irrelevant to Spine of the World, I guess more to the point is have you read any of the many other previous books in the series. Assuming you have not, here is the basics of what has happened previously that is significant in terms of Spine of the World. If you don't want spoilers for several books stop reading.

Wulfgar, your stereotypical mighty barbarian warrior complete with magic returning war hammer, and his adventuring buddies had several successful adventures before Wulfgar decided to marry Catti-brie, the lone female member of the group. Wulfgar was having doubts about having a wife who did not meet the barbarian norm which seems to be a nice little housewife who does nothing except cook and clean. At this point a bunch of Drow attack and during the underground battle Wulfgar "died" fighting a demon when he collapsed a few tons of rock on himself. Several books later it is discovered that in fact Wulfgar did not die but was taken to hell when the demon gated out of harms way. Lloth traded Wulfgar to Errtu, a demon whom Wulfgar and friends had previously defeated. Errtu tortured Wulfgar for several years, including the use of shape shifting demons who took the form of Wulfgar's friends. Eventually Wulfgar's friends rescued him but Wulfgar's sanity was somewhat gone by this point. After almost harming Catti-brie, Wulfgar decided that he was too much a danger to his friends and left them to drink himself into an early grave in Luskan. He got a job as a bouncer, made a new friend in a thug by the name of Morik the Rogue, and began shacking up with Delly Curtie the rather pathetic doormat of a barmaid at the tavern.

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Wow - you should think about doing synopses professionally. That was pretty good.

Oh, and still trying to wade my way through Great Expectations . :bang:

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

JSBB that is a great synopsis! Thanks. I read the original IWD trilogy a long time ago, when they were first published iirc. Haven't touched a FR book since.

So far so good. After this barbarian kick passes, I might turn to King Arthur again ....

9. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Book 10 of The Wheel of Time. hopefully there won't be any more published before I forget about them

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The unfinished Tales, by Tolkien. Am I strange because I like cross-referenccing Tolkien, doing translation comprsions and other stuff like that?

RotKU, I recognize Artemis Fowl easuily because I love those books :D

Also, I just read Firewall by Andy McNabb... It's set in Finland, and more weirdly, in the town I was visiting :D

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

A three second overview of The Silent Blade: It sucks! Badly.
    At the moment I am reading Enchanter and have found a whole new author to keep me occupied :D

12. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

THIS EXACT MINUTE 10:49pm 11 July 2003 +10 EST

I hold in my hand "Shadow's Witness" by Paul S. Kemp.

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

LMAO :lol:

Honestly, I was underwhelmed with the Spine of the World too (just finished it on the train this morning). I was looking for some real FR depth, but there were no dieties mentioned, only Luskan and some Daleland for geography ... can someone think of a better FR book?

14. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Great FR books: Spellfire, Masquerade, The Crystal Shard and a few others.

Currenly reading The Longest Way Home by Robert Silverberg. About halfway through and it's beginning to drag a bit.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Math, if you haven't already go with The Avatar Trilogy. Lots and lots of info there. Also Crucible: The Trials of Cyric the Mad may be interesting for info on gods.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Halfway throught the final part of the death gate cycle now, just 200 pages to go and the about 2100 pages series will be finished.

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just read all the way through the manual for Heroes of Might and Magic 4, and now I'm back to reading the Baldur's Gate 2 book. :rolling:

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Thanks, I'll pick that up next!

Right now I am reading "The Christian Counter-Culture: Studies on the Sermon on the Mount" By John R.W. Stott. :holy: :good:

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I have now moved on to Pride and Prejudice . But on a happier note, The new Orson Scott Card book has finally come out in paperback: Shadow Puppets !!!

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Cloak of Shadows, also by Greenwood. It's actually quite interesting. Malaugrym trying to kill Elminster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.