1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I may start Elaine Cunningham's Starlight & Shadows or War of the Spider Queen.
    I think I'll read Dissolution by Richard Lee Byers.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I just finished "The Magic Goes Away" and "The Magic May Return," the first written and the second edited by Larry Niven. While the concepts were interesting and well-developed in both, I vastly preferred the storytelling in the second.

Right now I'm eagerly awaiting the shipment of "Rulers of the Darkness," the fourth book of six in Harry Turtledove's "Darkness" series. It's a re-telling of WWII in a fantasy setting, and absolutely gripping (even though I already know how it ends ;) ). Until it arrives, I have two financial books on my table, "When it's raining in Brazil buy Starbucks" and "Why Stock Markets Crash."

Next month - HARRY POTTER! Wheeeeee! :roll:

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I just finished the first book of the death cycle series, Dragonwing. Hugh the Hand rules :thumb:

Now I have the choice between my new WindWalker or my soon to arive Condemnation, part 3 of the war of the spider queen series.

I think I'm gonna wait 3 days when Condemnation comes to my door, and read windwalker and the former "daughter of the drow" and "Tangled Webs" after that.

4. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hm I heard that Windwalker has some effect on WoSQ, including what has happened to Quenthel etc.
    Now I'm reading Dissolution and I really liked Pharaun.
    Death Gate cycle is one of the best series I've read, very philosophical and lessaction unlike Salvatore.
    You'll learn to like Haplo :)

5. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've just finished Blast from the Past and Popcorn (for the 2nd time) by Ben Elton. All Ben Eltons books are funny and contain very interesting ideas. Blast from the Past is especially good given the current political situation in the world

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well I decided to read 'Servant of the Shard' in between books, I didn't feel like starting a whole new series and I kinda want to read 'daughter of the drow' and 'tangled webs' again before I dig in Windwalker.

@Khelben, I know about Haplo, I've read the series once before in dutch, but as you no doubt know: Translations suck.

I'm gonna try to finish Servant of the Shard in three days (plenty of time since I have vacation now) then start 'Condemnation' then read the entire Death cycle series (should arrive next week), and after that reread Elaine cunningham's books with Windwalker as the end.

That should last a while ;)

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Warrior Code, the last book in the T'En trilogy. I suppose its not bad, thoug some parts are tedious and repeditive. The author is good at developing characters however. And always seems to be able to save a almost screwed characters life, which is good and bad, as my least favorite character won't die and there is a good chance that my fave will.

8. Thauglor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The first book in the Wheel of Time series.

9. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Woo-hoo!! I finally get to read a book!

I have just started X-Men 2, since I most likely won't get to see it in the theater. Having kids puts a real crimp in your fun sometimes. ;)

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

BigStick ... tell me about it. I've seen 3 movies in the theater during the 2 1/2 years of my dauther's life.

One of them was American Pie 2 ... my daughter had just fallen asleep, was 2 months old at the time, so we carried her in and she slept through 90% of it.

I think she's scarred for life though...

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    My little boy will be 3 in just about 2 weeks (oh, crap, I have to get working on his party!). The movies we've seen in the theater in that time are:
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (with him)
    LOTR:FOTR (sitter)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (with)
    LOTR:TTT (sitter)
    X2 (sitter)
    Finding Nemo (with him)

Note that Matrix Reloaded is not yet on my list :(

[edit] Back to books... I just got Rulers of the Darkness in the mail. It's the fourth book in a 6-book series that's a retelling of WWII in a fantasy setting. The author is Harry Turtledove, who's a historical scholar who can write. I hope I can finish it before Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix arrives on my doorstep! :thumb: [/edit]

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Oh yeah ... books.

I just finished Legend by David Gemmel.

Now reading "The Agony and the Extacy" (sp?) historical fiction about the life of Michalangelo. Pretty good so far ... but long and very little print.

Also reading the Atkins Diet Book.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am reading The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler -- awesome book.

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

'Exile' by Salvatore. I'm loving every single page of it :grin:

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am currently about 2/3 done Wild Cards 4: Aces Abroad, edited by George R.R. Martin. I really have no idea why I enjoy this series but for some reason I do.

16. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The rise and fall of the great powers

Paul Kennedy

17. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Enchanter's End Game... book 5 of the Belgariad.

18. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Are You Dave Gorman? by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace.

19. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Right now i'm reading Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. Great books, i really recommend them ;)

20. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I just finished Otherland by Tad Williams - quite long and the middle drags on a bit but ultimately rewarding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.