1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Death to Harry Potter!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kitrax, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] Ugh! I can't belive that poeple like those books/movies! After playing through the Baldur's Gate Saga, the Icewind Dale Series, and about 5 other CRPGs; reading several Forgotten Realms Books; and just being an all-around-fantasy nut, I have developed a bias against Harry Potter.
    Here are some things that really bug me about thess terible books/movies:
    • 1st off, I can't stand how children can become wizzards after a few lessions of school. In my mind, I feel that it should take many decades of studing, and practice to become a wizzard.
    • I hate the way they portray wizzards with those pointy hats, and the way they fly on broomsticks...if a true wizzard wishes to fly, he will transport himself there, or he will levatate like Drizzt does in the book, Homeland.
    • I really hate the way they place all of the sorcerer's power in to a little twig, and call it a wand, yes wands do have power, but they are not the storage unit for a wizzards power...and they probably wern't made from a tree branch.
    • I can't stand the way they portray elves in the second book...last time I checked, elves were creatures of beuty, not little ugly things that look like deformed Hobbgoblins...LotR portrays elves the best in my opinion.
    I'm sure there are mor things that the books/movies portray in the worst possible way, but I won't know, since I refuse to read, or see book three...what evey it's called... :rolling:

[ December 02, 2002, 21:32: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Beeing utterly sick of the hype about the books, I refuse to even read a them unless they are still talked about 15 years after first release. That I would, perhaps, consider a good proof of quality. Having had a glimpse at the movie I also refused to watch on to read the book instead ... one day :shake:

So, to put it blunt, I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about and I like it that way :1eye:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well then, take my word for it, the Harry Potter books are worth reading. I never intended to buy them on the principle of being overmarketed, but I got the first book as a gift and said, hey, what the heck, might as well read it. I bought all the subsequent books myself...

Kitrax, it's painfully obvious from your post that the FR fantasy world is the only one you know and anything that deviates from it is not to your liking. However, besides FR, there are dozens of other very established fantasy worlds/settings created by various writers, and hardly any of them fit the FR mold of swords & sorcery.

As for your points:

1. Wizard is spelled with one z. Have you actually read any HP books? It *does* take years of study and practice for those children to become wizards.

2. HP uses a more traditional version of witches & wizards, which is no less or more valid than any other. And putting Drizzt's innate Drow ability of levitation as an example isn't really a good choice.

3. What, in FR only again?

4. The word "elf" has many meanings. The traditional Tolkien elves which FR copies aren't the only form that appears in the literature over the centuries.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] /me goes over to his "poison shelves", examining "The Sorcerer's Stone", received as a christmas gift last year, still unread - eventually resisting the temptation ;)

5. Tarol'azh a.k.a.Tobias Banned

I agree with Tal. I didn't think much of it either, but my brother had Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, and once I started reading it, I was hooked. A lot of people take a negative view to HP (I heard that almost a whole town was convinced that the books were leading their children to be Satan worshippers and burned every book. Give me a break :rolleyes: !), but then they take the time to sample it, and they're hooked. That's my h.o. on the subject.

6. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Im glad what 'Wizards of the coast' and 'TSR' did in terms of the creation of there fantasy world.

It was a perfect blend of Dragonlance's Krynn, and the whole world of the Lord of the Rings (as well as its predecessors and any books written beyond then). I love the way there is such a grand perspective in races and location, very much unlike Harry Potter in otherwords, which is so Stereotypical to the old wizards in pointy hats and that they can't cast spells without a splinter from a tree branch.

Gandalf is the only Wizard worthy of wearing the pointy hat as it amplifies his eccentric appearance in the stories he's in. Dragonlance readers might remember a certain other character with a awful memory with a pointy hat, good times to be had by all.

I think that Gandalf and the "Wizard" Harry Potter should get into a rumble, then we'll see who is the most disciplined and powerful magic user in literature.

"Your a wizard, Harry" Yeah....sure....and im good old Saint Nick, wielding Excalabur, and sitting on a unicorn, killing rows apon row's of superhero's.

Go ahead, flame me for insulting Harry Potter, but ive posted in a topic which is against the books anyway. (Maniacal laughing) :D :D

Oh yeah, another thing. Isn't it strange that both Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter are greatly altered in term's of the length of time the books meant to cover. Couldn't they jsut do the tacky "X years later" thing.......actually, scratch that, its too tacky....well maybe put it on Harry Potter. :p :p

[ December 02, 2002, 23:52: Message edited by: Enthasius ]

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Do you know the BEST reason for the existance of Harry Potter??

:book: It gets children to read who may not have done so otherwise!!! Many children have been turned on to books by the Harry Potter series - so whether or not their wizardry is right is an unimportant question! If the books can make my ten-year-old anti-paper cousin spend hours in front of a book instead of a television set, I say more power to them. :thumb: I have read some of the HP series, and have really just about had it with all of the negative fuss that has been made over them. :toofar:

(BTW - I agree with Tal - as much as I love the Forgotten Realms, there are other worlds and versions of spellcraft and wizardry. Sorry, folks, but Elminster and Gandalf are not the only uber-wizards out there!)

8. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Seriously though, Harry would be destroyed by them quite easily.

9. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

burn him,,,,!

blow the man down !

[ December 03, 2002, 01:13: Message edited by: vonGriffin ]

10. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

:D KIIIILLLL!!! :D
    :D Hate Harry Potter(my girlfrend likes it - that explains all) :D

[ December 03, 2002, 01:24: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually take time to read the books. I hated him, but once while at a friends house, I had nothing to do and actually read one. They are great. I finished it in a day or two. It took me half a year to read The Hobbit.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm sensing a divergence here between those who got into fantasy through books first, and those who entered through various role playing games. The latter seem to despise Harry Potter because the books do not conform to their understanding of fantasy, having completely missed out on a wealth of literature that have no drow or even orcs (half or whole).

People, don't adopt a narrow view of an entire genre just because you play role playing games. Take some time and read some different fantasy books. Read the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, The Black Company series by Glen Cook, The Jhereg series by Steve Brust, The Wheel of Time books (if you have the endurance) by Robert Jordan, The Belgariad by David Eddings. These are all well worth reading and you'll have a hard time finding a Drow in any of them.

Also, @Falstaff, you are exactly right on the merits of Harry Potter in getting young people to read fantasy. For me it was the Chronicles of Narnia, the Dark is Rising, Tolkien, and others that got me into fantasy books, but Harry Potter will do just fine.

Finally, I didn't have much interest in reading them, but my wife got me a copy of the first one and they are well worth a read. Quite fun, in fact, if you don't want a more challenging read.

13. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I started reading them to my daughter after seeing the Sorcerer's Stone; Then I got hooked. They are an easy read, the kind one tries to finish in one sitting. I thought the writing was great and her imagination was as well. There's always room for another point of view when it comes to the imagination. Like 'Dracula' for example. So many different movies about the same vampire and many of them are great.

14. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The books are actually well written. The humor, detail and character development are very good. I started reading them after seeing the films with my son last month. Why such hatred towards the Potter universe? It's not as if Tolkien or D&D set the standard in the fantasy genre. Come on.. lighten up. It's like that last line in the posting before mine. There are many interpretations of vampires. Anne Rice, those LARP ones, space vampires seen in the Buzz Lightyear cartoons..even those freaking cheesy/pathetic S&M ones seen at goth clubs ruining the whole scene with their deviant sexual acts!Silly makeup, leather pants, trench coats, acting all pissed off and sad-like. I..I.. *pants* Sorry sorry, got side tracked :D

But yes, why should Tolkien/D&D be the *ONLY* form of fantasy?

What about David the Gnome? Remember that odd cartoon from the early 80s? He doesn't tinker with objects, doesn't practice magic. He and his kind are really really small and have big pointy hats. Certainly doesn't have a resemblance to Tiax or Jan Jansen. What about Santa's elves? I don't think they run around with bow and arrows or the like. Why not hate them as well?

HELL, what about dragons? God knows there are 100's of versions of them.

Gabriel

15. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Harry Potter is fun; not to be confused with epic storytelling LOTR-style. if your taste is for more "conventional" fantasy, i suggest dipping into the toughpick guide by dianna wynne jones (can't remember the exact title, sorry). highly amusing stuff.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Harry Potter Books are a bit better, IMHO, than any D&D-based book I've read. Why? Becaues Harry Potter works on a basis of the stuff from things that are a bit more wizardish, if you will. On Earth, the average, non-D&D-playing person's idea of a wizard is probably more or less like Dumbledore or Gandalf - wise, old, and always carrying a magic stick. FR - and much of D&D - has corrupted wizards - people who fling fireballs, are young and nimble, and are not treated with a shred of actual dignity and respect (unless they're some sort of famous archmage).

Harry Potter speaks to Joe/Jane 8 year-old. It also speaks to that guy in college who's got a few hours to kill in a bookstore.

Elminster speaks to that guy who wastes his life away on the computer and FR books* (which are quite popuar despite their lack of plot and cardboard characters.)

And the two aren't meant to be exactly alike. Think of Harry Potter, in D&D terms, as a half-sorcerer(ess)/half-wizard. You've got a gift with magic. But it takes seven years of tough study (which seems to exclude basic science and algebra at Hogwarts) to master everythihng.

In D&D, you're either born magical (sorcerer), or go through years of intense study to be able to toss those Magic Missles. It can be both, but you won't see that often.

*Admittedly, not every FR book is bad. Just, IMHO, the good majority.

[ December 03, 2002, 03:22: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

17. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Comparing Harry Potter and FR based books/games are like comparing apples and oranges. Completely different flavors.
    What Rowling did was write books children could read easily while giving those books a story good enough to be enjoyed by all ages.
    I originally picked it up to be able to talk with my younger cousins about something that interests them. I have read many, many books, fantasy, sci-fi, classical fiction, modern fiction, non fiction, folktales... you get the idea. I have a fairly broad reading repertoire. And Harry Potter books are well written stories, IMO.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If all fantasy books were the same then what would be the point. Why can't people run around in pointy hats waving a stick and yelling funny words? But then, why can't a wizard have to study for years to know how to cast a cantrip? There is no reason! It's just the authors impression on how magic works and how they dress.

19. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I don't want to fuel any hate against Harry Potter but the story of the series bores me to death. I leave it to those that it was made for: the children!

20. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

the first three were okay (not great but fun for a rainy afternoon). But hp4 is really awfull! when writing this book Rowling must have thought something like: "hey adults read my books as well! so lets write an adultbook" the result is that it is neither a childrenbook nor an adultbook. It would be the same if C.S.Lewis would have written a few more narnianovels for adults because adults read them as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.