1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is SP becoming Illiterate?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    It's been a long time since I read Covenant's two trilogies - maybe the next time I need a book I'll pull it down. However, the last thing of his I tried to read I never finished, and I don't even remember the title. It was about a young woman who was convinced that she didn't really exist, then she stepped through a mirror into a kingdom that was in a war. The king was obsessed with checkers ("Hop-board"). Does anyone remember this book? Should I go hit the library and finish it (and it's sequel)?

Part of the reason I didn't finish it was that I couldn't stand the way the main character just stood by and let life happen around her. No wonder she felt like she didn't really exist!

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I just finished "A Game Of Thrones" by George R R Martin and really enjoyed it. I'm looking out for "Clash of Kings".

I never really used to read books until I read "The Lord Of the Rings" and since then I've been reading a lot more, usually Fantasy novels.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    rallymama - That's the Mordant's Need duology consisting of "The Mirror of Her Dreams" and "A Man Rides Through".

I enjoyed them both quite a bit.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Thanks, Blackthorne. Two questions that need one-word answers (no spoilers!):
    1) Does she ever break out of her funk and DO SOMETHING?
    2) Does the checkers thing ever get explained or prove useful?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well if I remember correctly one of the whole series main objective is her path towards really participating in events around, I do not remember any details but I am quite sure she has to act one time or another. I cant remember if the checkers ever get explained, a long time since I read the books and I didnt find the excellent, only good :) .
    Donaldson's best work is about Tomas Covenent, those are great and has influenced most contemporary fantasy.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I read.

I just haven't been down to the bookstore in a while. Errrr.

The non-textbook bookstore. :)

The other day, I downloaded the script to "The Thing", and read through it. Pretty darn nifty.

I tell you, scripts to movies are pretty interesting to read. And if it's a movie you've seen a couple of times, you'll see where the actors changed some of their lines; for good or ill.

MASH was like that. It's like none of the actors memorized a single line; they just rattled off whatever sounded about right. And did a most excellent job about it.

Um. Yeah. I'm not going to go off topic.

Print is NOT dead.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm always reading. At the moment I'm reading the brilliant Galactic Milieu Trilogy after finishing its prelude/sequel The Saga of the Exiles.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I find myself reading mainly when I'm at places I cannot do anything else at. Not use my computer or go out and get some proper excercise or anything. And at work when I have longer periods of time with nothing to do. On my freetime I usually only finish the most urgent of chapters that were left in a situation that I don't want to skip for later.

9. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Let's see. I'm sporadically reading "Eye of the World", "Lord of the Rings", a lot of DnD books & modules, electrical engineering PE exam prep books, and first and foremost the Bible.
    I love to read, but it gets harder to find the time when raising a family, working full time and stuff to do around the house. :D

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I read lots and lots! ;)

I'm reading through my Discworld collection - I read them all in order, I am on "The Last Continent" at the moment. Mostly though I write. Reading stories are a good way to expand vocabulary and give ideas on what to include in a good book. And also what to look out for ;) At one point I was OBSESSED With Harry Potter - I have read through all four 31 times, just reacheing then end of the fourth and starting agains at the first... etc :p .

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    8People, I wish I had them all... I am reading trhe ones I have bought recently, and planning on spending my birthday money on more books... Discworld and anything with Elaith Craulnober that I don't yet have. (I just love the guy...)

I could wager that I have spent most of my life reading. I'd guess I have read well over 2000 books in total... and no, I can't name half of them. I spent eight years of my life mostly reading. I own perhaps 200 boks, all of them read at least three times. Most of them twice the amount.

I hope I do not count as illiterate :p

Ara
    (Too lazy to post)

[ December 02, 2002, 18:30: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.