1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who is going to buy "The Thousand Orcs"?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] With the coming release of the first book of'The hunters blades trilogy' which is the forth trilogy if I am correct.

I was wondering who is going to buy this book when it comes out? and if you are looking forward to it (I know I am)

[ October 14, 2002, 21:31: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll buy it... Sooner or later. I want to read them in order though, so it'll be a while before I come to The Thousand Orcs.

3. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Never heard of it? what is it about, who is the writer, is the rest any good?

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I believe Salvatore is writing it, and that prejudice alone makes me want to avoid the book.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

What's wrong with salvatore?

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Salvatore is slowly getting worse, besides, there are much better books than his around

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

If you are talking about the drizzt novels I agree for the most part

1:yes the first books were better
    2:no because they are still really fun to read

If you are talking about his other novels especially the demon wars I really don't agree

Together with the second drizzt trilogy (the dark elf trilogy) I think the demon wars books are the best I ever read. And that definatly includes the lord of the rings, those two are much better in my opinion.

I know it's personel but I just had to say this

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  9. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm definitely buying it. And I really don't get why no one likes Salvatore anymore, what's wrong with his books? Except for the Cleric Quintet, I think they're extraordinary (I've only read his FR books though).

10. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you like Salvatore and want to read something outside of FR then try The Crimson Shadow series. They are very short but still masterfully written. I'm trying to get to Sojourn still, but when I come to Thousand Orcs I'll buy it, or check it out from the liabrary seeing as I usually blow my money on munchies.

11. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I never saw anything wrong with Salvatore, true his books lack the sophistication of say The Lord of the Rings or the Wheel of Time series, but they're not bad books. Then again, I've only read the Icewind Dale Trilogy in full and a very abridged audio version of Starless Night (I think that's its name, the book where Drizzt goes back to Menzoberranzan.)
    Some of my friends don't like any of his books, at least the FR novels because in their words "they're all munchcan characters with little or no human or rather believable qualities." Ah well, it's all about taste I suppose. So, what's this new novel supposed to be about? I'm too lazy right now to go look it up.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The quality of his later Drizzt books is horrible. I'm thinking Silent Blade and The Spine of the world here. The books are not as well written as many other books I have come across and, lets face it, Drizzt is invincible. There is no chance that he will ever die. I also reckon that bringing Wulfgar back was cheaply done. I will buy in depth books rather than the new Drizzt one's unless something great happens to change my mind.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I really don't think this is fair

nr1: the main character in every book everywhere doesn't die (or it's the definate end) and drizzt came really close by the by in the end of sea of swords. Why does a hero have to die to become real!?
    nr2: I don't see a gandalf or a legolas die and no one gives them a hard time.

nr3: munchkin chars they may be, but if you've read the entire series you can't deny depth that has been put in the chars, especially drizzt and cattie brie

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Drizzt gets into a bunch of scrapes and messes every book. Sure, he (or at least one or two of his buddies) fall near death, but you know that Salvatore can't kill him off. So you know that Drizzt won't die, someone/thing will save him, and the powerful enemy feared by all will be destroyed (or run away and decide he/she/it has nothing better to do than exact revenge on Drizzt someday). Of course, protagonists in most books don't die, but if Drizzt went through the stuff that is described in his books, he (or one of his friends) should probably he dead by now. Bilbo doesn't die because he only went on one adventure. Same for Frodo, Legolas, or whoever.

And as for character depth, yes, there is some inner feeling; Drizzt and Catti-brie are more than demon-slaying machies. But the depth is still quite limited, and there seems to be little inner conflict of the characters. The heroes and the bad guys are easily separable. Drizzt and the others rarely have a fleck of anger or hate in them, and the bad guys are simply pure evil.

And Gandalf did die; Balrog ring a bell?

[ October 16, 2002, 22:59: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

15. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yes, I definitely plan on getting the series.

So Rob isn't gonna kill Drizzt (most likely). Big deal. I'm sure many other characters will die in his place though. And honestly, if you were writing a story that you enjoyed (or for some of you, a story that was rankin' in a lot of cash), would you kill the main character?

Jakob, Gandalf doesn't die. You'll see in Two Towers...or you can DL the trailer online for TTT, it shows Gandalf fighting the balrog while they're falling.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

If I were in Salvatore's shoes, I might not kill him off if Drizzt's books were the only way I could put food on the table, but if the Drizzt books reflected reality (that in FR, anyways), I'd say Drizzt (or Regis, Catti-brie, Wulfgar) would be dead by now, several times if they got resurrected. At the very least, if I were Salvatore, I'd make sure characters were made more of than cardboard and had foibles and flaws.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Are your referring to the film when you speak of gandalf getting killed by the balrog in the mines of moria on the bridge of kazadhum?

Cause if you are, spoiler ahead (I would be surprised though if someone didn't know this)
    He does come back you now, quite alive I might add

I agree with you on the many adventures and they haven't died by now (although wulfgar did die but came back) but if for example Tolkien would have written a sequal which he could have done (across the ocean), we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Why kill one of the most populair characters of the FR off?
    Oh and Artemis Entreri for one isn't pure evil as is Jarlaxle
    And one last thing most of drizzt enemies were drow or demons who are evil by nature not heart and it would be a little unbelieveble making a demon with morals would it?

I'm sorry but I just have to defend my favourite auther and his chars.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Yes, so Drizzt doesn't die, but there will never be a sense of closure in those books. They can go on till the end of time if one so wanted to continue writing them. He doesn't necesarily have to die to bring closure but closure is one of the most important and best (IMO) parts of a story.

Oh, and Gandalf dies, and is resurected as Gandalf the White IIRC.

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Last question, I read LOTR but by whom exacly is Gandalf ressurected

Please don't say himself

If I remember correctly (its been a while) he falls from the bridge of kazadhum where he battled the balrog, he then walked in the darkness for he doesn't know how long and returned.

Am I that much off or what

20. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Apeman, I know, I said the same. Fact is, Gandy's alive, but this is a discussion on Drizzt, sooo, back to the topic at hand...

"At the very least, if I were Salvatore, I'd make sure characters were made more of than cardboard and had foibles and flaws."

Uhh...yeah...so none of 'em have flaws, eh? What about Wolfgar attackin' Cattie-Brie by accident because of a recent dream he had?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.