1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this cheesy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Wil, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This is how I like to begin: after escaping Irenicus'dungeon, I do the slave quest in CC. Then, wonderful items are available in the CC (axe+3, sword+3, axe anti-undead, searching sling...). I get master thief potions, my thief gulps enough to get +- 200 pickpocket, and he lifts all the objects! Then, my party goes to all the good places for thieves in city, so the party is well fit for free.
    On the way, they even pickpocket Ribald.

Is this cheesy?

2. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, strictly speaking I would say no, it is not cheesy. Maybe a little bit cheap. :rolleyes:
    Of course, if you PC is a paladin or some other lawful goody-two-shoes, then IMO it turns immediately into cheese. :D

3. Wil Gems: 6/31

No he's no paladin, he's some disgusting dwarf!

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say it might be cheesy for this reason:
    You steal a bunch of good stuff from a vendor (in this case, Bernard). Now, if you never go back to see that same vendor ever again, you're OK. But, if you were to visit him again, do you not think that he would notice the fact that you are carrying the very items that have mysteriously disappeared from his inventory?

Also, when you say your party "goes to all the good places for thieves in city, so the party is well fit for free", do you mean you visit the fences? And if so, what do you do?

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I'll guess it's ok then. Since it's offering you the ability to steal from shops, you do it. It was intended when they made the game, so why not?

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't think it's cheesy, especially if you are evil -- such a move certainly compensates for the discounts that can be obtained by a high reputation.
    One hint, though, no matter how high your pick pockets rank is, there's always a 1% chance of failure. If you don't want to inadvertantly kill a lot of innocents and lose boola reputation, I'd shut my AI off while thieving.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Strictly speaking, it's cheesy. Imagine you stealing a huge 100lbs suit of armor right out from under his nose. If you pickpocket Ribald (not through the buy/sell window, just his pockets) you get a shiny new ring of Regeneration. Sweet-ass!

8. Wil Gems: 6/31

Now I detrermined that stealing all the nice objects in CC after the slaves quest is cheesy, and besides the objects are not very expensive.
    But stealing the nice objects in Trademeet is defensible in a roleplay view: You are the heroes, so even if the merchant notices, he will dare say nothing. But you shouldn't visit him ever after.
    Likewise, stealing nice objects in Maevar's guild just before you sell him out looks defensible to me.
    Likewise, stealing nice objects in the Drow city just before you leave looks defensible.
    Objections anyone?

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only the part about stealing from Trademeet because you are the hero. But since you aren't going to visit him again, you're OK. You seem to have understood my point completely. :thumb:
    (Of course, alignment is still a factor)

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I think it's a little bit cheesy.
    OTOH this clearly is the way the game was intended to work by the designers. Is it unrealistic? In some ways, yes. You'd think the merchants would have magic ways of stopping theft. But then the thieves can also employ magic, so who would have the upper hand?

One easy partial fix would be to not allow good aligned thieves to steal.

11. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

"One easy partial fix would be to not allow good aligned thieves to steal."

I don't agree with this words, you might be good-hearted, but you can always justify yourself: "nobody will care if I take this.." "This is the very last time, I promise,..". To steal little bits from people who has plenty of everything might not be so evil. Robin Hood, a bastard or a saint???

After all, even if you are the kindest person of the world, you will probably backstab that drow mage before he could cast any filthy spell upon you; or would you prefer a confrontational situation?? Thieves aren't paladines!!, leave honor to others!!

12. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think stealing is one of the things a good aligned thief should be able to do. Thiefs generally do bad things, so a good alignment isn't very fitting. But I think assassination is a lot badder than stealing.
    Besides, maybe the good thief is going to do something good with the stolen stuff...

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Certainly takes a bit of fun out of the game.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

From www.dictionary.com:
    We'd have to change the name then. There's nothing wrong with good people stealing, but thieves should not be able to be lawful.

15. Trimm Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

So if my lead character is a Wizard Slayer, does this mean I am not allowed to have magic users in my party? If six people walk into a store, how is the proclaimed leader of the pack responsible for the actions of one of his friends. Granted, if he's caught, the group is in trouble. Then again, if the storekeeper didn't see him take it, who's to say the protagonist didn't notice either? In PnP, it's not announced to the party that the party's thief has attempted to pilfer unless he is caught. What the Paladin protagonist doesn't know doesn't affect his alignment. Unless of course the thief is stealing an object specifically for the Paladin, which would most assuredly end in disaster. Alot of times it is taken for granted that your PC is calling every single shot and controlling every action of each individual NPC, and IMHO, that is just not feasible.

16. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Backstabbing an evil enemy in the process of committing an act of violence is hardly comparable to taking property you know you have no right to. Just because you can rationalize it -- "well, I can steal and still be considered good-aligned, because I'm doing it for a noble purpose (convenient disengenuous rationalization) and the ends justify the means" -- doesn't mean the rationalization is valid. Most evil people feel justified in their crimes, too, but that doesn't mean they ARE justified.

Part of the problem here is the term "thief," which is better replaced with the term "rogue." Too many idiots seem to think that being in the thief character class automatically makes you a kleptomaniac -- just like being evil means being homicidal, being chaotic means being an unpredictable lunatic, being lawful means being anal retentive, etc.

I've always thought of "thieves" in D&D as not neccesarily being criminals, but merely people who have skills not normally called for in the every day life of a normal person. I think sometimes it is better to think of the thief as more of a spy type of character, etc. So it can be easy to be a "thief" -- or better yet, "rogue" -- without being a criminal or a thief, and even good-aligned; and good-aligned "thieves" really shouldn't be stealing! :D

17. Splunge

Media:
    IMO, good-aligned thieves should only from steal from fences, not "legitimate" vendors. And thieves can't be lawful.

@Trimm:
    A lawful leader may not be able to prevent a party member from stealing, but he/she certainly wouldn't tolerate the thief staying with the party once the theft was discovered by the rest of the party (or at least, the leader would demand that the thief return the stolen item). Thus from a roleplaying perspective, IMO you can't steal if you have a lawful leader; of course, if you're not roleplaying, then it doesn't matter.

[ September 25, 2003, 05:11: Message edited by: Splunge ]

18. Wil Gems: 6/31

In my current game, Nalia does the shoplifting. She steals the rich to give ... er... to us. More Jesse James than Robin Hood.
    Stealing isn't absolutely necessary, there is enough loot to find, but in cases where it seems acceptable, why not? In Maevar's guild, you end up killing everyone, normally you could get all the items there.
    The master thief potions are "stackable", if it's cheesy to drink 2 or 3 in a row, it's the game designers fault. They allowed this, because even a good thief (+100% pickpocket) doesn't stand a chance of success.

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I don't see why assasination should be branded as "evil".
    Killing is killing and if we accept killing - as we do in a fantasy setting - then the method of killing is hardly reason enough to call someone good and another evil.

Stealing from shopowners in general is IMHO hardly a good deed and I stand by my view that good thieves should be at least restricted in who they can steal from and from whom they can pick pocket.

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

They cannot be lawful good. They can be true lawful, which doesn't make sense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.