1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommend a Fantasy Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Matt_Frank, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Christopher, you beat me! I just read the Rhapsody series. I think it's very original (which is great in a fantasy book) and quite engaging...

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well, when you are REALLY new to fantasy, when you haven't read anything at all, there is only one book to start with. (strange that no one even mentioned Tolkien).... I always recommend to read The Hobbit and then Lord of the Rings first, for it is the oldest of the fantasy-books and in these books are the roots of many other fantasy-books. After that, I would say: Go for Wheel of Time. I know it takes a year before you read all books but it is really good stuff.

3. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

As Mathetais stated, David Eddings' five books series (the Belgariad?)is excellent. He wrote another five in the same series the Mallorean(sp?) which was also very good.
    Dennis Mckiernan(sp?) wrote a decent series called the Iron Tower Trilogy followed by the Silver Call Duology. Somewhat of a LTR ripoff, but decent.
    Barbara Hambly has some good series out also.
    And of course, as mentioned above, The Lord of the Rings.
    :book:

[ August 02, 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: keraptisdm ]

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, he wrote Silver Call first, though the Iron Tower was released first. McKiernan also has several more single novels all in the same world in different time periods, and they all relate to eachother in one way or another. IMO very good stuff.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You should of course read:
    Dark elf trilogy(homeland, exile and sojourn)
    Icewind dale trilogy(the crystal shard, streams of silver and the halflings gem)
    Legacy of the drow(the legacy,starless nights,siege of darkness and passage to dawn)
    and paths of darkness(Servants of the shard, spine of the world,sea of swords and the silent blade)

R.A salvatore is great, Drizzt is greater and Atremis entreri is the greatest:)
    (i dont remember the order of the paths of darknes books)

6. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust.

Those who enjoy the Drizzt books may like the Tribe of One trilogy by Simon Hawke, set in the Dark Sun world.

7. vegetalai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well ive beem reading the leagend of the five rings books wich r really cool if u love samurai then u will love these books.
    also the star of cursah (something like that :confused: ) is really good i love the way its done past presnt thing or at least thats how most of the book is done, i havent finished it yet. reiver is such a cool guy i wish he was in a game cuz it a FR book, but i think the auther has some thing about perk breasts if u have read the book u know wot i mean lol

8. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've only read Tolkiens books so far, and especially Silmarillion was gripping. The old Beleriand with all the different elf realms, and the Valinor... wow, that's something I want to read more about. But I don't know where to begin. Are there other authors than Tolkien that write from this universe? Or write about the Tolkien kind of elves? I would very much like to have recommandations on books about elves and their realms, if possible. Please? :)

[ August 13, 2002, 15:44: Message edited by: Blue ]

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nobody but Tolkien (and his son) wrote about Middle-earth. But there are plenty of books about elves around, and probably plenty of Tolkien's books you don't know about yet.

Check out http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php

Especially the Tolkien subsection. I've listed practically all of his relevant fantasy writing there.

[ August 13, 2002, 22:20: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The Coldfire trilogy and In Conquest Born by C.S. Friedman. Good sci-fi fantasy blend, and she's working on a sequal to In Conquest Born.

Orson Scott Card's Homecoming quintet, Worthing Saga, and Wyrms are also sci-fi/fantasy. And his Tales of Alvin Maker is a good modern fantasy set on an alternate history Earth.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion and Endymion quartet is neat too, again sci-fi/fantasy blend.

11. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There's not much magic in them, and few fantastical beasts, but the 'song of fire and ice' series is the best-written epic fantasy series i've ever read. George RR Martin is a fantastic writer, and so far each book has improved on the last one(there's 3 so far). As a matter of fact, I think I might start re-reading them right now.

Cullain

12. Mister Rogue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The Sword of Shannara and Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks, the Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore, Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, and Preludes 1 Trilogy (Dragonlance).

By the way, Mathetais I am so glad that someone else has read Sword of Shannara apart from me! Don't you think that Menion Leah is pukka? :D

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] And ofcourse Don't forget to read Trough the Looking glass, it's A classick!

14. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I reccommend anything Tolkien there's plenty of it. The entire History of Middle Earth collection, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, etc.

If you want something thats not Tolkien try C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia. Lewis and Tolkien were Friends so you may see some similarities.

15. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

THere's this book called THe Legend of Nightfall written by Mickey Zucker Reichart and the book is damn good! A must read. You'll enjoy yourself throughly, trust me. Some books like the above mentioned are Thieves Guild by Jeff Crook and Raven's Bluff by Richard Baker. THe former is from the DragonLance Crossroads series and the latter is from Forgotten Realms' The Cities series. THese books do not seem like they'd have a lot of impact on their respective worlds but they are great books. Try them!

16. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you haven't checked out Katherine Kerr's series set in Deverry; do. The first four books of it are the best I've read, after Tolkien of course. One of the best features in her writing is that evil has a point and motive, not just for the sake of being evil.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.