1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best book to movie

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Apr 9, 2002.

1. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] to kill a mockingbird is the only book i ever stole from my school library, despite the fact that we had to study it for GCSE exams! i agree that the old gregory peck film is a good adaptation.

2. Grondor Ironhelm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I can think of one book offhand that was a much better movie than a book. Jaws. The movie was so much more involved and interesting. And who can beat the ending of the movie? Just a great adaptation.

3. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree that To Kill A Mockingbird was a good movie, but I don't think it quite captured the spirit of the book. The way the events were narrated from a child's limited point of view, but you could still understand what was really happening, that was brilliant. I didn't get that from the movie.

LOTR was one of the best adaptations I've seen.
    Another was Nightbreed, by Clive Barker, based on his story Cabal. Except for the heroine (who should be barred from movies for life), it was a great adaptation of the book.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    /me prepares for being stoned to death

You will probably bliudgeon me to death with a book for saying this, but...

I think that the best book-to-movie I have seen is the Harry Potter movie.

/me ducks for cover

The actors fit their roles superbly, the plot is luyal to the book, the special effects rock... that movie is so cool... so utterly cool...

I do agree that TKAM is a good book... I think it has been about seven or eight years since I read it, so my memories are a bit hazy...

Ara
    (Morpemious being)

5. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

They were not loyal to the books. The director said that he was not going to butcher it. But he did.

LotR was BRILL.

6. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The best one has got to be Lotr. Hmm, I'd like to see the Dragonlance chronicles as a film. That would be my dream come true!

/me throws a nice, sharp stone towards Arabwel

7. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Silence of the Lambs. I loved the book so much I was terrified they'd ruin the movie, but they actually improved on it! Must be the Jodie factor. :)

Joacquin- Heinlein died in the late 80's. :( :( :( I don't think he'd have allowed Starship Troopers the Movie if he could possibly have returned to do anything about it. But you know, I can't blame the scriptwriter- he/she did do a great job at keeping the basic "feel" of the original in terms of dialogue style. The problems were with the casting and the enormous dumbing-down of the political theme, which really makes any Heinlein story kind of pointless.

8. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Dammit....I came in here to post this very same thing....
    All the movies that come to mind have been mentioned already.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sprite it wasnt the down toning of the social criticque that bugged me the most, I thought that bit were atleast shown even if it was briefly and toned down. What bugged me the most was that the troopers were nothing like in the book. I wanted the one army nuke carrying mechsuited übertroopers that Heinlein wrote about :grin:

Not to mention that those bugs were no real issue in the book, no war really mattered, they justfought were they were aimed and it was the relation between the characters and their will to be able to make a difference back home that made up the story. Not a silly war against any aliens.

10. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Best that I can think of is definitely Clockwork Orange.

While LOTR was a good movie I found the Queen of the elves to be repulsive when she should have been the most beautiful woman imaginable and the whole movie was too dark, needed more lighting, and the Cave Troll sequence was a joke.

I couldn't belive how different Starship Troopers was as a movie. I saw the movie and then decided to read the book and was appalled.

I do have to give props to the animated The Hobbit, which is my favorite movie of all times (almost).

11. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I think my favorite would be the book "IT" by Stephen King. Yes im sure all of you have seen a part of the movie with that freaky clown who bothers those kids...i started reading it when i was little, read the first chapter and got freaked cause this kids arm got pulled off down the drain (i never took another bath in my childhood years). But it was a great movie and book. :thumb:

12. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

I rather liked Interview with a Vampire.
    I even have to admit(holding head down as i grudgingly admit) Tom Cruise did a fairly good job as Lestat. However the little girl realy stole the show.For some reason her name escapes me just now.

13. Creslyn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Christina Ricci I think it was. And all my suggestions have already been posted :rolleyes:

14. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] How 'bout Congo? I acctually thought the book was just tolerable and the only reason I liked the movie was because I'ma a huge fan of Bruce Campbell(Ash from Evil Dead, Army of Darkness) and I like gorillas.

-Frostmage, I've had that thought too, but unless they detracted from it, I can't see how it would be any good unless it was somewhere around 1 week running time.

[ October 14, 2002, 05:33: Message edited by: The Irreligious Paladin ]

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Dorion Blackstar and Creslyn,

The little girl in "Interview with a Vampire" movie was Kirsten Dunst. Same girl who became Mary Jane in Spiderman.

16. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually I found IT one of the worst book to film projects. What I loved about this book is the brilliant weaving of both the 60's and the 80's. This has been left out in the movie entirely. So in the movie there are just two stories.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.