1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best book to movie

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Apr 9, 2002.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Another little poll here, or rather opinion collection. Not many books are treated gently when trsnsformed to movies but some do get atleast a decent treatment, some gets even better as a movie (so people say have never experienced it my self).
    So what is your best book that became a great movie?
    Mine must be A Clockwork orange, superb book and equally superb film. Sure there are some things that are missing in the movie but overall Kubrick really managed to capture the strangeness and frenzy and in the book. Ultraviolence for everyone! :borg:

The worst book to movie transition I have read/seen must be Starship Troopers, great book and a decent movie. But the movie had nothing to do with the book! The only thing they have in common is the name and the names of the characters. I wonder how Heinlein could approve of scipt that ignored his book so completely :confused:

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I'll tell you immediately of an example of a movie that's better than the book: Shawshank Redemption.

But I think the best movie adaptations are (both from superb books): Godfather and 2001, a space odyssey.

3. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Fight Club was much better as a movie.

4. Arwen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

"Gone with the Wind" was decent. From the new ones - "Queen of the Damned". Although in both cases the books were pretty much butchered - but on the other hand, I can understand that one can't pack the entire book in 2-3 hour movie.

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Stephen Kings "Misery". One of the only movies based on his horror work that actually stayed close to the book.

6. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The Godfather was just as good a book as it was a movie.

Sybil was also very good.

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited April 11, 2002).]

7. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, it's not a movie, but "Band of Brothers".

The worst book to movies? How about ANY Clancy novel. Including the new "Sum of All Fears" piece of sh*t that's coming out.

8. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The best book-to-movies I've seen are LOTR and We Were Soldiers, but the WWS movie skipped a whole other battle that was in the book, and when Randall Wallace re-wrote it for the screen, he added an annoying bit of melo-drama. The best book-movie transition in my opinion is Braveheart, since the movie was 1000 times better than the book.

9. C'Jakob Guest

To Kill a Mockingbird

The only book that was also a movie I have watched, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  10. Xenomorph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

LoTR is the more satisfying book to movie that I have seen.

[This message has been edited by Xenomorph (edited April 11, 2002).]

11. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Indeed! Lotr!

12. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The movie Gettysburg from the book Killer Angels was great, and they're making another from that series which I'm also interested in. Also, I'm suprised that nobody said The Green Mile. They didn't change anything about the book to the movie, and they didn't need to. A great movie, a great book, and an excellent transition.

(edit: My 200th post! Whee! :roll: )

[This message has been edited by Damona Silvercloud (edited April 14, 2002).]

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

C'Jakob, u actually seen that movie? wow, i've been dying to see that movie (i think it is a black and white movie, right?). the book was a fovorite of mine. what a damn good book.

the best book to movie that i've read and watched must be "the joy luck club" almost very similar to each other. many of the dialogs where taken right out of the pages.

the worst book to movie, must be disney's versions of the fairy tales. the new ones though (like little mermaid, beauty and the beast, etc.) but then again it's for the children. :)

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

To Kill A Mockingbird (the movie) was great! My wife & I watched it last weekend.

Another good adapataion was ... "A River Runs Through It".

I just saw Lord ofthe Rings and am impressed by the visuals, but there has been plenty debate on these boards about it, so I won't go into much detail ;)

Here's another good one ... the movie "Jesus" was based on the gospel of Luke. It is very well done. Most of the movies take all 4 gospels and weave them together. This one sticks with Luke, so you don't get some of the familiar scense (The woman at the well, etc) but you get more of a feel of what it was like to learn about Jesus for the fist time.

15. C'Jakob Guest

I was forced to read and watch TKAM in English Class. Still, a good book/movie. Heck, I even had to write a paper on the differences between 'em.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited April 18, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  16. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

Same here C'Jakob. I think the most ridiculous book(play)-to-movie, has got to be Macbeth. I don't mean one of the mafia Macbeth movies, I mean the Playboy one, with Executive Producer Hugh Hefner. Try to pictue Macbeth's wife as a hot redhead who sleeps naked, or don't if you don't want to, and you get the general idea of Playboy's version of the 11th century. Not to mention the old witches dancing around naked :wail:

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Lord o' the Rings was an *excellent* adaptation. Shawshank Redemption was very good, as well. Red October did a very good job too, as long as you fast forward through the parts where 'Jonsey' is talking. The only other one that comes to mind is X-men. I never read the comic, just watched the cartoons. But people I know who live/eat/wipe their *yahoo* with it gave it two-thumbs-up.

On a antonymic side: Andromedea Strain and Species blew chunks. Alice (Disney) blew chunks too, unless you factor in the kid-constant (K sub-c), in which case it totally rocked...

18. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Dune? It was pretty faithful to the book, though if you hadn't read it before, the movie didn't make much sense.

The worst must be Jurassic Park. Excellent book, one of the best I've ever read, but the movie... *shrug* It wasn't bad (fun action, and those big lizards look cool :p), but...

19. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

heheh..
    I agree that Lotr is a very good movie.
    Quite like I imagined, but Sam was a bit uh..
    nm, what about games to movies?
    The most horrible movie I have ever seen that was a game was Tomb Raider.
    *shivers*

20. bocam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

have to agrre with the earlier post that my fav. book to movie is shawshank redemption, and the worst by far, considering i read the book years ago, has to be 'Flovers in the attic' by Virginia Andrews, absolutely gripping book, considering i was 14, but absolutely dibolical low budget film. Leave the books well alone and let us conjure up the pictures in our minds i say. Oh and was very disapointed by the first harry potter movie, too much hype.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.