1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poll: Favourite Fantasy novel author

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sparhawk, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

2. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

1. Jordan
    2. Eddings
    3. Pratchett

3. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] My fav has to be Margeret Weis i just loved Tasselhof Buurfoot he was soo cool.
    Now ill get spammed.

I think Tolkien Sucks, i felt asleep after 20 pages of the hobbit :mad:

[This message has been edited by Tasohan (edited October 02, 2001).]

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmm.. tough one. I've read AT LEAST 1000+ fantasy books so this is hard...

1. R. A. Salvatore
    2. Michael A. Stackpole
    3. Terry Pratchett
    4. David Eddings
    5. Margaret Weis

Then there are runner-ups, Elaine Cunningham, Tolkien, Jordan, Gemmel, Adams... So many great writers. In retrospect I'll probably name several more, though.

Ara
    (Odd little assassin-wannabe and general nuisance)

5. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

No order
    Tolken
    RA Salvatore
    Ann McCaffery
    A. C. Clark
    Issac Asimov(SP? I hate my inability to spell)

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

1. Tolkien
    2. Jordan
    3. Pratchett (funny how he wrote as an antidote to fantasy novels)

7. Gillan Ironwood Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] In no particular order

Guy Gavriel Kay, George RR Martin, Michelle West, David Gemmell, Anne Bishop, Roger Taylor and Elaine Cunningham

8. Worgrim Gems: 1/31

The one, the only J.R.R Tolkien!

Robert Jordan is also a great author, i think he is finishing the world that Tolkien created.

I also like some of the David Eddings books :)

9. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] Stephen R. Donaldson
    George R.R. Martin
    Mercedes Lackey
    Donna Gilespie (The Light Bearer)

Not ranked in any particular order.

10. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Mercedes Lackey would be a lot better if she weren't so obsessed with sex... :rolleyes:

11. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] HA! I have to say, that I really don't mind it. I think it makes the people all the more real.

IMHO most people are obsessed with it. It's ohhh natural. :)

[This message has been edited by Satiana Fearbringer (edited October 09, 2001).]

12. Jarona Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I'll go with:

P.C. Hodgell - Fabulous trilogy (God Stalk, Dark of the Moon, and Seekers Mask - which I just bought through SP on Amazon) that has just been re-published after going out of print in the early '90s. Highly recommended for world creation/atmosphere and for having powerful female lead character.

Gordon R. Dickson - for his "Dragon Knight" series, a very tongue-in-cheek (but somehow serious) take on the S-and-S genre.

Stephen R. Donaldson - because, that's why.

Tolkein - see above.

Robert L. Asprin - The master of pulp series, including the finest in shaggy dog stories and really bad puns (see especially the Phule's Company and M.Y.T.H. series).

EDIT: :idea: Forgot my current addiction.
    Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series. Dumb, but I can't stop reading (5th book and counting

[This message has been edited by Jarona (edited October 09, 2001).]

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I enjoyed Gordon Dickson's series as well. It's too bad he passed away; I wanted to see where he was going with it.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmph. Still nobody mentions Dennis McKiernan; how sad. I guess it's not that surprising since a lot of the listings on Amazon indicate volumes that are out of print. The Iron Tower trilogy and the Silver Call duology were his firsts (he wrote the duology first, but had it published second) and it looks like they're being republished in single volumes now.

How can you not get chills every time you hear the dwarven battle cry: "Chakka Shok! Chakka Cor!" (Dwarven Axes! Dwarven Might!) :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.