1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What NON-FICTION Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, May 1, 2001.

1. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"Cults and Faiths"
    The biggest surprise was that apparently Jahoba's Witness is a cult.(hope its the right spelling)

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Alienboy ... right you are. Jehovah's Witness is not "orthodox" at all. They look at the Bible as one of their holy books, and their version has some very bad translations.

For example in John 1 instead of "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God" .... they translate it "in the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was a God."

J.W. theology holds that Jesus was a man like us who was holy, and that 144,000 people after him will achieve a similar standing. In fact, they will be given worlds of their own in the next life, and they will be the diety of that world.

On my latest non-Fiction ... I'm reading The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter. It was writting in 1642 (there-abouts) and is an argument for the clergy of England to change their hearts & change their ways. :holy:

A great quote ... he is responding to the minsters who say that he should not have corrected their behavior in such a public fashion. They said that if he had to write a book about it, he should have at least written it in Latin, so the normal people couldn't understand it. Baxter's response, "If you had sinned only in Latin, then I would have undertaken to correct you in Latin. However, since you sinned in English, your confession and rebuke should be in English as well."

(Gotta love a clergyman with stones ... this is good stuff!) :angel:

3. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The D&D manuals. Oh and this forum!:D

4. C'Jakob Guest

The How to Survive Guide. Great book, pretty funny, and manages to help you escape from a swarm of killer bees, tells you how to survive in the jungle, and how to help give birth in a taxicab.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  5. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

C'Jakob, seen the new survival guide to dating and sex? It's just as good as the original (there are intructions on such ventures as determining the gender of your date, fending off rivals for a girl, stopping a wedding, getting rid of BO fast, and how to skip out on a tab at a restaurant).

As for more serious nonfiction, I stick with history and physics, the two most interesting subjects IMO. The more advanced the physics, the better -- I like jumping into something entirely over my head and trying to make sense of it.

6. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Habitant. From the 1800's.:book:

7. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

The tomorrow of Malaria.

Bleedin' fascinating I can tell you.

8. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

9. Kahliib Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You mean Terry Pratchet is writing fake stuff. Whoa.

Actually, I like reading about the medieval times. No specific book, really, but I have seen some interesting ones in the library...

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Two of the greatest non-fiction books I have read (and I highly recommend them to anyone who is interested in war or joining the military):
    Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden
    We Were Soldiers Once...and Young by Lt. Col. Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm thinking of getting a book on the history of Islam, one that incorporates political history as well as the evolution of the religion itself. (I'm something of a history buff, but I find a somewhat glaring hole regarding non-European/Asian/American cultures and civilizations.) Any recommendations on a good one?

Similarly, I want a book on pre-colonial African civilizations. Any input on what I could get on either one? (I don't want to miss out on some quintessential book on these topics just because I know nothing about these topics. :heh:

12. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] The last non-fiction book I read was "The Satan-Seller" by Mike Warnke.

The book is about Mike Warnke (the author) and his life experiences when he was part of a satanic cult.

First, he descended into the hell of drug addiction. Then he ascended in the satanic ranks to the position of high priest, with fifteen hundred followers in three cities. He had unlimited wealth and power at his disposal, provided by members of Satanism's highest echelon, the illuminati. And then he converted to Christ.

I thinks he's some kind of Christ Comedian now. Good read nontheless.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited April 11, 2002).]

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Frog ... how old is that book ... I think it was published in the early 1970's? In recent news, Mike Warnke was exposed as a fraud ... he dabbled a little in the occult, but never was a high priest or anything. I guess he got good audience from the satanic testimony, so he kept building the story until it got out of hand.

Check this out .... http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/107/42.0.html

Sorry ... the occult is real and Satan is devouring souls, but Mike's biggest sin was lying, not witchcraft :(

14. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I did read the book a heck of a long time ago. Thanks for the wake up call. I had no idea.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited April 11, 2002).]

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

wow, i really envy you guys/gals. you can really read. in my lifetime i have read only a few books. i find difficulty finishing a novel, so most of what i read are short stories. my favorites books, however, are harper lee's to kill a mockingbird and amy tan's the joy luck club. other author includes fulghum, if you know this guy, you know what i meant by short stories. other non-fictions that i would read to the end are reader's digests. :)

16. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

Right now I'm reading The 21 Lessons of Merlyn. Again. It's like therapy for me.

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Maybe we should get you a therapy book.

18. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31

A therapy book! Whowuddathunkit?!:)

19. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The best non-fiction book I've read lately is 'Rogue Warrior'.

Talk about Comedy-Central. My stomach/side/lungs/heart/liver hurt from laughing...

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The adventurer is dead, the adventure goes on.

Read about the Thor Heyerdal's travels on the Kon-Tiki raft accross the Pacific if you like travel books. It's an amazing journey.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.