1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Books (Besides Tolkien)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by mark the beneficial shah, Oct 28, 2001.

1. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am reading Tolstoys Anna Kaerine, than some Gogols. After that, i may do either Kafka, or Cekov. I want ideas for a good Fantasy Book, or searies to get. I read the moonshae searies a few years ago. Any ideas?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm reading Nicholas Nickelby by Dickens at the moment. Required reading, as you can imagine.

:sleep:

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Gogol's "Dead Souls" is a great book. I highly recommend it. Not that its a fantasy book, but you mentioned Gogol first. :)

I liked "Freedom and Necessity" by Steven Brust and Emma Bull. Its an excellent 'low magic' fantasy novel. George Martin's "Game of Thrones" series is excellent. Sean Russell's "World Without End" series was enjoyable as well.

I'd also recommend anything by Patricia McKillip or Ursula LeGuin.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

4. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The Belgariad and The Malloreon.
    Both are 5 book series written by David Eddings.

5. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Try Robin Hobbs Farseer serie! Very great narrtive and style and a very interesting fantasy world! And Kafka's Trial is fantastic!

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon and Discworld by Terry Pratchett are all good fantasy series. I would go for Wheel of Time. It is clearly one of the best fantasy series after Lord of the Rings and it is a lot of reading in the 9 books currently published.

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I'd recommend the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. It is a retelling of King Arthur's legend through a more historically accurate eye. He just release "The Archer's Tale" which is Robin Hood revisited. I'm picking that up to read on a flight next week.

Another great read is "Fit Bodies, Fat Minds" by Oz Guiness. It is a great overview of many modern/post-modern thought structures.

Another recommendation is Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Wizard's First Rule, the fist book, is wonderful ... you'll definietely fall in love with the characters!

8. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. It's 2 sets of 3 books. I thought it was absolutely one of the best book series' I've ever read. (fantasy based ofcourse)

9. Mirkwood Guest

Ridley Walker

A _very_ different sort of fantasy/sci-fi novel. Although it will probably be difficult to find a copy since its out of print.

10. I'm reading the first wheel of time book, and although, and only half way through, i love it.
    Please read it

11. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Do not read the Wheel of Time series. Do not buy any of the books. Do not even glance upon their dust covers.

We must boycott the Jordan books until he finishes the #$@!$%! series.

Until then, read George R. R. Martin's series (not Wild Cards, the other one).

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Speaking of George R. R. Martin, I read "Game of Thrones" when it first came out. Very strong stuff. Good story, good characters, very violent (which is why I stopped at the first book). If you like your fantasy bloody, that is a good book.

On the lighter side: The Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. Leguin

Eddings is ok. It is very derivative of Tolkien and by the time I got halfway throught the Mallorean, the characters had become 2 dimensional. The first series is a fast read though.

Raymond Feists first series is pretty good too. Magician, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon. I didn't read past that.

I genuinely dislike the convention followed by many fantasy writers where they set up the world and then milk it dry. Most of them are not creative enough to make it last.

13. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31

To kick in an open door : Pratchett's Discworld rocks! :roll:

And antoher fantastic fantasy-series : Tad Williams-quartet, which name I forgot :hmm:

But Jack Vance's fantasy definetly ain't bad either. Tschaï, Big Planet and The Languages of Pao are truly excellent, although they tend to lean closer to SF than fantasy. The Dragon Masters on the other hand is fantasy (with a bit of SF mixed, something unavoidable with Vance) of the highest level.

And if you like those works, you'll absolutely love his Devils Princes (Star King, The Killing Machine, Lens Larque, The Palace of Love and The Book of Dreams).

But perhaps the best in this SF/fantasy genre is Julian Mays The Many-Colored Land.

14. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I'm reading Terry Pratchet in the Discworld novel series and also this Stockpole guy in the Rogue Squadron series for Star Wars ...

15. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

You have to really be into starfighter combat else you won't enjoy the Rogue Squadron books ;)

16. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm. The Game of Thrones series is certainly lethal (modeled as it is on real historical civil wars), but I wouldn't say its gory or bloody in style. But if you aren't comfortable with having important, well developed characters die during the story, this is definitely not for you.

Eddings' Belgariad was amusing light reading, but the Mallorean was pure drivel.

Donaldson's first Covenant series is excellent, as was his other series with the mirror mages (forgot the titles). The second Covenant series was interesting, but not really enjoyable.

The first two or three "Wheel of Time" books are very good. Interesting and original use of standard archetypes. However, after about book 3 all forward progress on the storyline ceases. Considering that there are now 7 or 8 books in the series, that's a bit of a problem. Maybe my grandchildren will get to read the conclusion.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

17. jesper898 Guest

The Dark Elf Trilogy:D
    i just love Homeland:p

:wave:

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Vormaerin - Though I haven't yet read The Game of Thrones series, I have to say your other comments are right on the money.

Mordant's Need comprised of Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through were the titles you were looking for.

19. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Vormaerin my comments about the violence in "Game of Thrones" had nothing to do with popular characters dying. I look at this as realism. Most of the violence in the book is probably quite realistic. Having read a LOT of fantasy over the last 30 years, I can say that the depiction of violence in this book is not typical for fantasy writing. It IS a bloody book when compared to other books like it. I don't know how you can disagree with this statement.
    Additionally, I found the (repeated) use of rape to be repugnant.

That said, it is a well told story, with violence that is probably more realistically depicted than it is in other books. However, the use of violence did not enhance my reading experience. It was exploitative (in the case of rape) and gratuitous.

My attitude towards violence changed dramatically between the time the first and second books came out. I have explained this elsewhere on the forum and do not wish to bring it up every time a topic like this is explored.

As I said in my original post, if you like your fantasy bloody, you will like this book. It is as good, if not better, fantasy writing than I have seen in a long time. Martins skills as a writer/storyteller show Eddings, Brooks, McCaffrey, et. al. to be the derivative hacks that they are.

Finally, a SPOILER (for those who want to read the book, you may want to skip this)
    There is a scene depicted in the "Game of Thrones" where a woman is saved while being raped on a pile of bodies (from the slaughter of her village)! If this is typical use of violence in fantasy, then I have been reading different books then you.

Edit: incorrect grammar

[This message has been edited by Jack Funk (edited October 31, 2001).]

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. I guess you haven't read Katherine Kerr's Deverry series then. There is a scene in one of those books (I can't remeber which any longer) where an evil spellcaster slices off the nipple of a woman with his sword in order to cast a spell of control on her, and after having done so, orders her to let his brutish guard have his way with her right there on a steaming refuse heap.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.