1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Two Towers

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Asmodeus, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I´v heard here and there that as a title for the second part of the LOTR trilogy ´The Two Towers´ will probably changed into somethiing else. (As `the Two Towers´ should be some kind of reference to the horrid action on 11th septembre)
    Don´t you all think this is a little far fetched as in my opinion it is.
    Offcourse, the day is and will be remembered as a gruesome act of terrorism, but hey, come on, not everything in life should be tied to one event that´s happened in history. (Note: remember that there are literally thousands and thousand of innocent people being killed and murdered by acts of war and terrorism around the world)

And the idea of changing the name of the second title into something else at all, gives me the shivers.

Like, what should the title be, `The exciting adventures of Frode and Sam`.....come on!

And for the third part of the trilogy, Return of the king, better watch it cause the movie might find itself banned in Roemenia. (For all those who do not know, a few months ago a banished king returned from exile as the new president)

What´s your opinion ?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The two towers we are speaking of are the towers of Barad Dûr, and they are at the gate to evil. Anyone who links them with 11th of September would be claiming that USA is the prime evil of this world, and that they are going to destroy us all. Seems like nonsense to me. They can't change the title.

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

LotR Episode 2: Attack of the Ringwraiths!

:D :heh: :happy: :D

4. In Estonia its The Two Fortresses or something.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It just might happen. Censorship is booming in USA at this point, with a blacklist of songs that might remind of the incident, movies that have (had) anything to do with terrorism or showed WTC and a movie unfortunate enough to be named The Two Towers will have a really hard time getting past the censors. I feel it's stupid (banning the sheer mention of it, come on), but it's quite possible that they'll do it.

I hope at least us Europeans will get it with the proper title, if Americans don't.

6. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

It's not government censorship. It's self-censorship. People who make movies are choosing to change them to avoid reminding people of the attacks. People who run radio stations are deciding not to play songs that sound anti-American. These are all good things, so long as the government isn't forcing it.

7. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

Does it reeaally only matter if it´s government censorship or just censorship.
    It´s not a question who is to blame for censoring, it´s a question whether censorship in this case is not a little too much of it all....

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well I never said it's the government doing it. It's brilliant they don't even have to. Scary even, that a whole society manages to keep itself in check by censoring itself. An interesting sociological & psychological phenomenon indeed. Self-imposed censorship is so extremely rare that I can't remember another instance of it...

Who are you going to blame if it actually gets renamed to something like The Lord of the Rings: The Two Spires just so that it doesn't have the word "tower" in the title?

9. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

No, sorry, misunderstood I guess.
    I´m not trying to discuss the matter of censorship here nor who is or will be to blame. (I don´t think censorship is good, but then again I don´t think that freedom of speech can be applied to all cases. Yes, freedom of speech, but with respect of other people !)
    The matter at hand is more the question if a movie like LOTR (Or any movie at all !) should be ´linked´ to the events of the 11th.
    And if that would be the case or not, where do you draw the line. Movies, books, , games, jokes, comments.
    Life goes on, as hard as that may seem. More and also terrible things have happened in the near or distantpast and will happen in the future, all around the world and they´re not linked or compared to every movie, book or game.

10. Oh man... "Two Spires" just because of something that happened the day before my b-day?! Actually, I heard that Two Towers is already made and that they are just waiting to release next year (as well as making the Return of the King). Sheesh... some people are *way* too sensitive about that event...

11. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31

Yes, it silly that they would change the name of anything because of a "Possible link" to bad feelings. However, the production companies for any type of entertainment media would consider it a liability. The reason being is that frivolous lawsuits run rampant in America. If somebody thinks they can make a buck off of someone for some twisted feeling of pain and suffering, they'll do it. I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried to sue the networks in America for showing the terrorist attack live. It sad that is coming down to that, but it's not worth the gamble.

12. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually Shadow Godess, the whole film has already been made, but it was always scheduled to be released December 01/02/03 for the three parts.

So at least that had nothing to do with Sept. 11.

As for changing the name of part 2.. I dunno if it will happen 12 months down the line or not. Would be a great shame though if they felt they had to. As Tal said, perhaps at least in Europe we'll have it under it's correct title.

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Wildfire, nice line about "attack of the Ring Wraiths".

As for the two towers - I don't think they will change the name. See the interview with PJ on the subject at Theonering.net BTW the two towers is not refering to Barad Dûr, the two towers are Orthank and Minus Morgal (sorry about the spelling). See the introduction to the 2nd edition.

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Oops, there was me thinking they were Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul.

15. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Remember that it won't open until december... hopefully this all will have settled down by then. I really don't think the world needs a return of the McCarthy days with a new enemy added.

16. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

And if reading it specifically wasn't enough, you may be so bold as to think for yourself and realize that Orthanc and Minas Morgul were the two towers that were focused on in the book.

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The Two Towers that are mentioned are not Orthanc and Minas Morgul. The two towers where it is all about:

1. Minas Tirith (The White Tower (In the past it was called Minas Anor, The Tower of the Setting Sun, renamed to Minas Tirith, the White Tower, after Minas Ithil was captured by the Nazgul)

Ah, about the topic: It's so annoying. Tolkien called this part The Two Towers before the Twin Towers even existed. There are more "Two Towers" in the world then the Twin Towers and I don't see why the name should be changed, for this has nothing to do with the Twin Towers and I don't see any reason to change the tital of the movie. Or are people nowadays too dumb to see the difference between two towers in a fantasy-story and the Twin Towers?

2. Minas Morgul, in the past named Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Rising Moon, build by the people of Gondor as watchtower, on the border with Mordor, captured by the Nazgul in Era 3, year 2002 (yeah, it's really true) and renamed to Minas Morgul that means the Tower of Black Sorcery, and this tower became the place where the Nazgul used to "live"

Those two towers where always fighting each other.

However Orthanc was also a tower, this one has nothing to do with the title the Two Towers.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited January 11, 2002).]

18. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Did Tolkien ever state that the Two Towers are Minas Ithil/Morgul and Minas Anor/Tirith? There are so many towers that could fit the bill - Barad-dûr, Orthanc, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith, Cirith Ungol, even the Towers of the Teeth. Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith make a good pair, but of course Minas Tirith takes no part in book 2. Personally I go for Orthanc as one, and probably Minas Morgul for the other.

19. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] As I stated above the two towers according to the _author_ are Minas Morgul and Orthanc. He clearly states it in the introduction to the book. Thus, I don't see what the issue is. You may have _your_ opinion and that's fine and all. But the answer in JRRT's mind is a matter of record.

I see how the While Tower would appear to be a possiblity, but none of the fellowship arrive at Minas Tirith until the start of the third novel. Headbanger, Orthanc has lots to do with the second novel. Who sends out the orcs of attach the fellowship? Who commands the forces that attack the Hornberg? What area is attack and destoryed by the ents? Orthanc is a central driving force in the Two Towers.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited January 11, 2002).]

20. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I take back what I said about Barad Dur :). I looked through the maps the other day, and Barad Dur is in the middle of Mordor. No reason to have that in book 2 ;).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.