1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pratchett's The Truth

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I was wondering how many Terry Pratchett fans we have here.

I'm currently reading his 25th Discworld novel - The Truth - and I'm immensely enjoying it. It seems like the first really funny Discworld book from him in ages. Highly recommended.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 03, 2002).]

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Definitely a Pratchett fan :) I haven't read The Truth yet though - it's sitting on the bookshelf, but I'll get there.

I actually re-discovered his genius a couple of years ago. Sprite and I were travelling in Europe over Christmas. We were in Munich at the time, and while browsing through a selection of English books at the train station (I can't read German unfortunately ;) ) came across Pratchett's 'The Fifth Elephant'. It lasted a train ride to Nuremburg and another to Augsburg. When we got home, I went on a Pratchett binge - re-reading old ones, and finding new ones I've never read before.

Just finished Witches Abroad, and Equal Rites will be next. I'm reading all of the Granny Weatherwax books in a row.

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've loved all his books. True, a lot of his latest ones are openly based on historical events or other stories now, but I don't think that takes anything away from them- in fact, quite the reverse!

I did like "The Truth" quite a lot. It didn't have Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg in it (thumb down) but it did have lots of dwarves! (Two Thumbs up.)

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have read most of Pratchetts books and all of them are good, some better than others. Granny Weatherwax is an immense favourite a superhero with ten layers of underclothing and sturdy boots! How cool is that?!

The most recent Discworld book I have read is small gods, I really like it. It isnt as funny as many of his other books but the topic and his view on religion is something I really agree with. I think it is one of the best religous satirs/observations I have ever read.

5. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have just started the series in their exact order. So i am now on Sourcery after reading: Clouor of magic, Light Fantastic, Equal rites and Mort. Mort is my fav book so far although Sourcery is already rapidly breaching it.
    Favourite Character? It is usually a tough choice between the Luggage and the Librarian. But at the moment i am afraid the primate rules all.
    Ook?

6. Zaragoth Guest

Pratchett is great! Although I haven't read "The Truth", I've nejoyed many other books by him. The best Pratchett-book would be "Guard! Guards!"

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I love Terry Pratchet!! The witches, Death (and Susan Death :D), and the guards of Ankh-Morpork, would have to be my favorite of all. I don't like Rincewind though. He annoys me.

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Besides being a community manager for the Ankh-Morpork Chronicle project, which will create Ankh-Morpork and parts of the Disc as Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege modules, I'm reading Pyramids. Great fun, as always. Have to read more books.

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I've read all the discworld pratchett book's and love them all. Some more than other but i didn't not like any of them. Long live Pratchett !

10. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

I too am a Pratchett fan and have just finished reading theif of time.

Susan Sto-Helit is a truely fantastic character!

11. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have every Pratchett novel he's written. As far as I'm concerned, he's the king of modern literate comedy. Especially in Britain, where he's conquered Metric Humour. I think he's right up there with Kurt Vonnegut, Isaac Asimov and that guy who wrote the Bible (shit was that a funny science fiction book).

12. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am a big Pratchett fan, read all the Discworld novels.

And I have actually met the man himself!

13. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I read once that Pratchett was at a book signing when someone asked him a question to which he didn't know the answer (which was exactly what the person had hoped for), and he signed the book "Terry Pratchett, for you, you bastard"

I wish I had that book.

14. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm a big fan too. I have enjoyed all his stuff not just the discworld. If you like them you'll also probably enjoy the Truckers Trilogy despite it being aimed more at kids. The Johnny series and Carpet People are also fun. I enjoyed his straighter Sci-fi stuff to. It's a shame he doesn't do more like bad Omens or some darker discworld stuff like Lords and Ladies.

Back to the dickworld I've read the lot except the Last Hero. My favourite character is Granny but I also like the Guards as a group.

I've been fortunate enough to attend a seminar by Terry at Warwick University a few years back. He was promoting the Sience of Discworl with the other two authors (both from Warwick). He was pretty funny just chatting to us and answearing questions. He came across much better than when I have seen him being interviewed on the telly.

Afterwards, I managed to get my copy of the book signed. I was approaching the end of my doctorate research and as I waited in the queue I planned out what I would ask him to write. Anyway, I came up with something like 'To David, good luck with the doctorate' or something. Unfortunately, when I came face to face with the great man, I was so starstruck all I could manage to mumble out was 'to David' thanks. He even prompted me to put something else but I could still only mumble. In the end he put the standard phrase 'To David, it Spins!'.

I had another opportunity to go to a local signing a year later for 'The Fifth Elephant'. This time I was ready and managed not to turn into a mumbling idiot. More importantly I managed to have abrief chat. One of the books was for my girlfriend of the time. When I asked him to write a line to her, I had to repeat her name. She was Danish so the name confused him. Anyway, I then explained it was for her and that she had never read his stuff before. He made some comment about 'girl' books and I said that she actually liked reading horror stories which was why I'd chosen Carpe Jugulum for her. Anyway he quipped something about about someone having to read horror then signed the book, The inscription he put was 'To Bente, hope you enjoy it Terry. PS there are some really scary bits.'

15. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Never met the man, but I think he's definitely the funniest writer I've ever read. I love Vimes. :)

16. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

well, if were talking about watchmen, i like nobby

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I love Pratchett! The Truth simply rocks, it has to be my favourite of his books!

Also, what a coincidence, I just bought and read moving Pictures yeasterday...

I personally like Susan a lot, but my ultimate favourites are the Wizards of the Unseen University! They are hilarious!
    I'd fit right in, well, except for the being female part...

Ara
    (Looking like she has gone thorough a shredder. Don't ask.)

18. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dude! I'm a pratchett fan! Seriously funny guy! I've read 'The Truth' and that is one kewl book! I got it for me birthday and finished it the day after! Absolutely brilliant!

I am currently reading (and after a long time indeed) reading 'The Light Fantastic' and dude! that book is one of the funniest books i've read! Rincewind is hilarious and so is luggage! lol! such a simplistic mind! - Get out of my way or i eat! Good stuff! :D :D

19. Creslyn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Dear lord, I never realised that other people could enjoy him as much as I do :D. I think I have now read every discworld book except the Thief of Time, all the trucker series, and several of the others as well, and I must say I can just never get enough. As for favorite characters...too hard to pick. With ones like Death, Nobby, Vimes, Granny, the Luggage and of course the Librarian...how could I choose? Never met the man himself, would dearly love to though. His take on just about anything that crosses his mind rarely ever fails to leave me in stitches, yet oddly enough also thinking a lot more about events than would otherwise occur. Definately one of my favorite authors.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.