1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elrawyn Amadriel, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Elrawyn Amadriel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm thinking about my final group, and I was wondering if you could offer any suggestions.

Elrawyn Amadriel (Elven Kensai)
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Aerie (My Sweety Pie)
    Nalia
    Anomen (He killed the Srear people or whatever, so is it possible to still get him knighted?)

If Anomen can't get knighted, I'm thinking Keldorn, and maybe Imoen instead of Nalia, since everyone seems to think she's better.

2. Looks solid enough, although I'd definitely go with Keldorn instead of Anomen, and keep Nalia instead of Imoen. Their thieving skills only differ slightly, and besides, thieving skills can be artificially enhanced with potions. Also, Nalia's stronger, so she can carry more stuff. I know that there are strength enhancers out there as well, but seriously, do you really wanna waste Gauntlets of Ogre Power on a Mage/Thief?
    Also, I might pick up Mazzy in place of Minsc. You've already got 3 brutally effective frontliners in yourself, Anomen, and Jaheira, so it wouldn't hurt to have a good ranged fighter as well.

But like I said, your lineup's solid as is. No real need to change it.

3. Devlish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Definitely get Keldorn. As he goes up levels, I'm thinking more nad more that he's my favorite frontliner. As an inquisitor, his saving throws are great and I use his true sight special powers in most major battles.

I like Anomen because of his cleric spells and he can fight. While I do like Druids (because of their good summoning) don't forget that there are Cleric healing spells like Raise Dead and Restoration that ONLY Clerics get (not counting Jaheira's Harper's Call) and not druids.

Also, I prefered Iom to Nalia as a back-up mage.

Devlish

4. Sorl Guest

I found Jaheira to be a nice companion but she succs as a fighter (2 slots in clubs; it's very hard to find a good weapon for her) and her spells are mostly defensive in nature (compared to e.g. Viconia), but ,she is one of the few in my party who never got killed yet.

5. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My first party was closed to your except that I got a Paladin as my main PC and I took Yoshimo instead of Nalia.

Nice party I think :).

6. Lukki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Yoshimo is scum-sucking stinking bloody traitor!!!! #ยค&%!!! Killed Imoen and Aerie after Irenicus left. Butts were liberally kicked and Yoshimo exists no longer in my kensai/mage game.

7. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

AAAAARGH!

CHUCK NALIA FOR IMOEN! NALIA SUCKS IN EVERY RESPECT!

and Anomen can't get knighted coz he killed Saerk. So he is screwed in that respect. NEVER go to his knighting thing though or he will go evil and that is even worse. Keldorn would be good in his place.

One person you shouldn't drop is Minsc! NEVER EVER EVER!

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Wow, I gotta agree with Deano. Nalia is NOT as good as Imoen in thieving respects. Imoen is 95 at locks(ring of lock picks 115) and 85 I believe at traps(105 with ring of danger sense). Yeah, you could waste money of potions of perception and master theivery, but why? Imoen is vastly better, and with Minsc in your party, you have no need for a thief to hide in shadows and scout(which neither Nalia or Imoen can do, incidently). So the most important things a thief can do in such a party is pick locks and find traps, which Imoen can be perfect at. Nalia is stronger, sure, but so? The fighters carrying the strength enhancers can carry whatever Imoen can't, so why does strength really make a difference between the 2. The main difference in this game is the exp between them. And as long as you pick up Imoen before you get over 1,000,000 exp, I believe yo can make up the difference later in the game. Imoen is the better choice. And definately keep Minsc. You will need someone to absorb the brunt of the damage for your Kensai to slice and dice effectively. Jahiera and Anomen are good backups, but not the best choice up front. I just did not like Mazzy. She is a good archer, but her short sword proficiency I thought must have been a joke by the folks at Bioware. Sure, have one good aligned fighter in the game, then stick her with a bunch of proficiency points in something like short swords(snickering is heard throughout the design room). Dump Anomen at this point. Sorry. As for a replacement... hmm, since you have a good party, Keldorn is not a bad choice. I'd also consider Valygar. I really don't have a good suggestion in that respect though.

9. Maveroick Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Man, I dunno what to say, except that...yes, Nalia is a loser and can't pick locks for crap...I decided to play the game differently a second time and decided not to take Yoshimo, which was a big mistake since Nalia can't pick and locks and I had to give her a bunch of knock spells until..I found....Jan Jansen! Yeah, he can find traps like a mofo and pick locks...

Hmm, though, the first time I played the game with my pure human kensai, I had Dave (my dude), Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Aerie and Haer'Dalis...

I had yoshimo up until I got Imoen, so it pretty much worked...Imoen can pick locks fine, so long as you give her a ring of lock picks and some other stuff, like the ring of Mercy Killer..heh..

Anyway, I say, Don't take Anomen or Nalia, because Anomen is just...a dork, I never took him because of the way he talks and acts...

Nalia is tolerable but she just isn't good enough to be my thiefy person...

And I agree...never kick out Minsc, he is the man.

Mav

10. Sorl Guest

Nalia is 90% mage, and a good one (int 17).
    She can wield long swords, carry armor (for the fighters amongs you), so she can use day-star or the like (if only for the spell, the little blade has).
    If your a good party you should have her, after all she fought twice for me without even being in my party (spellhold and slavers).

11. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To many of you underestimate Jahiera, on my end she has killed 2 dragons (well put the finishing blows in anyway). she has a few armour spells that make her great, then. i give her a +2 scimitar that gives +1 attacks per round, and vs the dragons she hit the red one for 18,13,16 right in a row. and the dragon fell. (she has hill giant str belt of course). Anyway thats how i see it, just dont like to see all of you under estimate jahiera.

12. Sorl Guest

It takes some time to get her profs up in useful slots. I think a +2 two weapon for a dedicated fighter is an insult (admittedly I typically only have one or two fighters in my party, but they can count on the best equipment available, and I found no +3 or +4 clubs or scimitars). Shure there is a +4 stick in the game, but then J. can't use a shield (and I don't believe she has any two-handed-profs).
    Now Korgan! He knows, what he wants! He starts with 6 stars only, but has them well balanced (5 in axes)!!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.