1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New RPG game

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elfen Lied, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Im looking to try a new RPG game that is similar is size and scope to say BGII or IWDII, any ideas?

I have played NWN and i liked it, I havent played NWN2 yet though.

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

NWN2 is well worth it. A great story, despite what many say and it's certainly more similar to the BG series than NWN1 ever was.

3. Elfen Lied

hmm i might have to look into it further then.

any other suggestions?

4. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Fallout 2 is large and it'll give you a good week or so of gametime. But, you can also take your time and run it in about a month. You won't see it all in one go through either, so there's replay.

It's not as engaging as BG2 or ID2, but it's a great experience. If you haven't experienced Fallout2, you are missing out.

5. Elfen Lied

I think i played the first one.

it was the one with this cool sounding guy called Frank, might have been the second one, not sure it was ages ago when i played it.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Geneforge 1&2 (and probably 4 as well).
    Fallout 1&2.
    Arcanum.
    Ps:T

The Geneforge games are quite large game-time wise, as I remember (I played them obsessively from start to finish in a number of really intense gaming sessions though, so it's hard to say). By my criteria, far better games than those you listed.

Fallout is rather short, but Fallout 2 is very large. Are better games than those you listed by almost any sane criteria.

Arcanum is large, brilliant, and deeply deeply flawed. The bits that are great are really, really great. The bits that aren't are really, really terrible.

Ps:T ... the greatest game of all time? Very different in scope (not trying to save the world, just yourself), but it's hardly a short game.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Knights of the Old Republic is a good one. I found it much better than NWN, which I didn't like, so if you did like NWN chances are you'll love KOTOR.

If you've not played the first IWD (and its expansions) that's a good one to try as well.

Arcanum is very large in scope, especially if you go from place to place the hard way (ie by walking instead of using the world map).

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    KotOR is GREAT, atleast the first one, I didn't like the sequel that much. But that's just a SW nerd's opinion.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is also a good option. :thumb:

EDIT: Ooh and must not forget Dark Messiah of Might & Magic! It's like half rpg half first person shooter(well smacker actually, since you use medieval/fantasy weapons).

9. Elfen Lied

I have played IWD (and BG).

ive played a few of the ES series, havent played DM. Im not a huge fan of 3rd person RPGs, thats not to say i dont play them, i just prefer to see the whole character, and yes i know you can switch the view. Im just not a huge fan, some of them seem like story takes a backseat to graphics, i want a huge epic story with exciting entertaining characters.

you know like in BG, or even the Diablo series to a lesser extent.

EDIT...

think i might go with PS: Torment, that is if i can find it at a store somewhere, otherwise ill have to order it in i guess.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Best bet is to probably pick it up online somewhere. Took me ages to find it, a few months ago - ended up having to go second hand. But then New Zealand is probably a different basket of eggs compared with most places.

Good choice, though. Been playing it for a few months now and it's still fairly fun. Don't think I'm even half way through yet, judging by the size of the "world" map.

11. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't know if NZ is that different. All ie engine games are easily obtainable in new box sets except for ps:t, which I still haven't seen any "reprints" of.

EDIT: Speaking for the Belgian part of Europe.

12. Elfen Lied

thats what i was getting at. ive not seen PS: T in years. New Zealand is kinda lame when it comes to this sort of thing, we get tons of stuff when its new, but we dont have much old/cult classic stuff.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Another vote for KotOR and KotOR2 and definitely PS:T

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Ps:T is basically impossible to buy in shops - check ebay, though. Arcanum doesn't really exist much anymore either.

There's a Fallout box set that's floating around though - it has Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics.

KotOR is great (with some flaws) as a game but not as an RPG. Plus it isn't really all that large or especially grand in scope. Worth playing, but the other games listed are better and probably meet your criteria more fully.

15. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, I have seen reprints of Arcanum, bundled with some other games, in "Ultimate collections" or "Classics" kind of bundles.

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Temple of elemental Evil is party based like bg, and it uses 3.5. Turn based however.

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

More like Icewind dale really. You make the entire party etc. The turn based bit was quite ok though. i kind of liked it.

18. Elfen Lied

I still see the occasional copy of Arcanum, but yeh PS: T is virtually non-existant.

so yeh guess ill try some online auction sites.

but it might cost a bit, might have to use an international auction, local ones dont seem to have it.

[ September 23, 2007, 00:57: Message edited by: Elfen Lied ]

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    PST is impossible to find brand new, but it's actually very easy to pick up for cheap in online auctions. I quickly had a look at Ebay UK, and there's a dozen there being sold for as low as £5 including shipping. It'll probably go up before the end of the auction, but I can't see it going above £15, and that's still a very good price for the game.

20. Elfen Lied

i must check if New Zealand has an eBay. i dont know if it does.

EDIT...

It does, now to see if it has any copy of PS: T

EDIT...

damn nothing locally. only seems like there are copies in the UK, i got 4 results from there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.