1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3 News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Clixby, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I wasn't talking about the "fallout feel" this is one thing (Arcanum had a great feel and still it wasn't as good or as playable as fallout).

Now what made fallout great was the freedom. How many games out there offer you great lines like Fallout?

How many games offer such a depth of quests and subquests?

Think about the NCR Westin/Vault City/New Reno quest in Fallout 2. Nothing was better than telling Lynette that Westin was already dead and that he had plenty of HP...

Think about the Doc in Vault City. I had a character who was a real bastard and blackmailed the Vault City doctor. He went back to get some treatment for radiation (hell he's just a minor NPC) and in the dialogue I got a line telling me what the good doctor was thinking about my character before the poison he had injected caused my character's death.

That's what I call great.

2. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I can see where you're coming from now. As far as I'm aware, Fallout 3 is planned to have a "main quest" (you leave the Vault to find your dad) which provides your motivation to leave the Vault and travel the wasteland but to be open-ended. The combat system has been revealed and described, and like they said, it's not turn-based but not quite real-time, as you can "pause" combat to make targeted shots.

On the note of dialogue, the demo presentation in the Game Informer article seemed to have a complexity of character interaction which suggest that it isn't search-engine talk. But unless it's publicly released, we won't know for sure.

I'm curious as to whether you have to kill someone to incapacitate them. For example, could you simply ruin their legs with a couple of good targeted shots and make good your escape? I'd like it if they awarded XP blow-for-blow, like Arcanum did. After all, even if you're not killing people, you're still getting better at shooting people even if you're just blowing off their kneecaps.

3. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That same PCPP article claimed around 40 hours of RPGing...20 on main quest and 20 or so of sidequesting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.