1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3 News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Clixby, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

lol, and what exactly did you think you were being promised? a game title?

this is like people who are excited about BG3, as if the game will be anything like the originals if a company uses the license

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

agreed with Ion, but thats the way it allways with be with hardcore fans and espacially in the CRPG genre, they demand insane things... how these fans can judge how could or rather how bad a game will be long before its released is beyond me

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

**** it - I'm not getting drawn into this again. Have fun with it, and maybe while you do wonder why no one makes real RPGs anymore. Then maybe wonder why Starcraft 2 is hyped as being so true to the original while Fallout 3 is hyped as 'updating' the original because y'know ... isometric view is so outdated :rolleyes:

4. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

yea everything was better in the old days...the games where original, the sun shined more, kids had respect for their elders....

5. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

To quote Arch Enemy, "The more I hear, the less I care". I've pretty much stopped reading about this, and I haven't really visited NMA since the beginning of the year. I won't be playing this "game", though I have no doubts whatsoever it will be a resounding financial success. Fallout will always be my favourite game, but I think it's now time to realise that the old way of CRPGs is dead and gone.

To Fallout, to everything it is, was, could have, and should have been. :beer:

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Beautiful strawman, Equester.

WotW - :salute:
    I stopped reading the previews after a while, and doubt I'll read any more updates. Not only is the information they contain saddening, but each new preview managed to show more and more the horrible state of game journalism. It's rare to see sycophancy on such a scale outside of organised religion...

(the old way is not quite dead and gone though - the Geneforge series has pushed it on and Age of Decadence sounds basically perfect. Still, drops in the ocean and all, small enough that very few cRPG fans will notice them)

7. ion Gems: 5/31

also, don't forget the isometric games started popping up during a previous lowpoint for Crpgs. We are in another low point for crpgs, but I have a feeling the genre will rebound eventually.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Straw man maybe, but its really just my personal opinion about the hardcore fans, especially the rpg ones,

by the way the same whines was there when sprite based games, such as the ones you saw on the Snes was replaced with the isometric and early 3D of the pc and playstation first came and that form of whining has continued on the PC market about 3D over isometric and a similar whine will probably pop up when whatever that will replace 3D graphic comes up.

I find it silly and really think people should learn to move with the time. Isometric is out of date currently, it might have a renaissance on some other platform then the pc, it might not, but crying about wont help.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Games like Morrowind and Oblivion have their place, although I personally am not great fan of them - I like NPCs to sound more like people than search engines. I really couldn't care less about Fallout 3 being isometric or 3D, but there is one unaviodable point: the engine you pick WILL have an effect on the type of game you're making. Bethesda seems to be trying to convince the world that it can make a Fallout game by slapping the name and a generic post-nuke setting on the Oblivion engine, without any serious thought as to what made Fallout unique - a combination of the setting, the turn-based combat, the skill system, the freedom to do what you want, the NPCs, and yes, the isometric perspective. Now, getting rid of one or two of the elements that define a "brand name" is never a problem - Might and Magic 6 was a complete overhaul in many ways, but it remained distinctly a Might and Magic game. Everything I've read from Bethesda suggests (or blatantly states) they are tossing everything out except the name.

What I find incredible is that the press has gleefully gone along, hyping the game to no end and completely disregarding the numerous contradictory statements issue by Bethesda. Yes, RPGcodex can getting ridiculously extreme, but to be honest I'm happy that at least someone (anyone) isn't praising the game to no end before having even seen what the thing looks like. Yes, the hard-core fans are fanatics, but something needs to balance the journalistic hype.

10. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

You mean the Fallout setting?

By the way, Fallout 3 now has it's own (snazzy) homepage at www.fallout.bethsoft.com , which has some more info about the game. One interesting soupcon of information from the "Vault" section:

It doesn't say anything about isometric viewpoints being necessary to Fallout. /fold arms

But seriously, I for one believe that reinvention to a point is necessary in order to keep a series of games appealing. Why would i want to play a game which is exactly like Fallout 2 when I can just play Fallout 2?

Wait.
    Do you even know what a strawman is.

[ August 12, 2007, 02:25: Message edited by: Clixby ]

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I certainly do. He's invented an arguement for me ('Everything was better in t3h old days!') which is easily destroyed/mocked/whatever. Naturally this isn't my actual arguement...

... which I am not going to present, because I am tired of this discussion.

12. Clixby Gems: 13/31

1. That was not a strawman. It was a sarcastic comment. No refutation or argument was made.

2. Then why do you keep posting? For one thing, I made it quite clear that this thread is for discussing the game rather than bitter "Beth$oft are a bunch of shills they're RAPING my franchise". take it to NMA.

By the way, Ziad, I'm interested in your statement about contradictory statements on the behalf of Bethesda. Could you elaborate?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  14. Ziad

Media:
    I actually did want to elaborate rather than just throw an unbacked statement like this, but a quick search did not turn up the articles I was looking for, and frankly I don't want to spend a couple of hours sifting through old Bethesda press releases and interviews looking for them, so I'll let the matter drop. People are welcome to ignore that statement if it sounds unfounded.

15. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I'm not implying that they're unfoundeed, it's just that I was unaware of it. I'm aware that there have been inconsistencies in the reporting,usually in the form of misquotes (Todd Howard has claimed that he never said that Fallout has violence like Jackass, but rather that it was like Kill Bill, for example), but I'd never been aware that Bethsoft was making clashing statements to the gaming press. I'll agree that gaming journalism in general is pretty poor, though.

16. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's not the violence that made Fallout great it's the dialogues. If the game designers don't get it then it will fail to live up to Fallout 1 and 2.

Is it possible for anybody in their right minds to claim that dialogues in Oblivion are any good?

17. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

In many ways agreed, but it wasn't just the dialogue, the violence, the music, the story, the visuals, (the numerous bugs ) was all part of the fallout feel.

I haven't played oblivion but morrowind actually had some decent dialog when you talked to important npc's about quest related subjects, the standard npc's dialog and search engine like responses sadly ruins this.

And judging from screenshots I think they have captured the same feel in 3D as fallout 1 and 2 had in 2D, of a post nuclear world, with the little twists of humour(notice the pip-boy figure on your dad’s desk)

18. Ziad

Media:
    Alright, now I see what you mean. "Contradictory statements" is perhaps not the best expression but I couldn't find a word to better describe what I mean. I'll take a couple of examples that I remember (sadly not verbatim quotes, but close enough). Bethesda claimed in places that the game will be completely open-ended and will allow you to do whatever you want, but in other statements or interviews, especially those concerning the actual quest, made it sound as if you (as a player) had no choice to speak of when it came to the main plot: your father's gone, and you WILL look for him, whether you (as a player) care or not. Another one: NPCs important for quests cannot be attacked and killed lest the quest in question get broken. Yes, I understand the importance of keeping quest-givers alive from a design perspective, but that doesn't really fit with the vision of a game where you're supposed to be able to do "anything".

Another example has to do with the combat system. At one point Bethesda said it wasn't turn-based, then when the Fallout fans complained they said it wouldn't be real-time. The press faithfully reported both statements, but at the time (don't know if someone has more recently) no one went to Bethesda and actually asked them to give a specific answer as to what the system used will be (there were initially some vague suggestions it would be like Oblivion's, which to me sounds very much real-time. If that was the case, why not say it outright?)

I can't remember them off the top of my head, but there were others. Nothing really major mind you, and I'm not suggesting that Bethesda are lying. I just find it strange that none of the "major" game press pointed out these inconsistencies (maybe a better word than "contradictions")

19. ion Gems: 5/31

I think the downfall of this game will be the same thing that doomed Oblivion: Bethesda's need to cater to the lucrative XBOX crowd. If this was purely a PC game, the worst case scenario would be a game with the feel of morrowind set in a fallout setting. I would definitely enjoy that even if it wasnt the true successor to fallout.

However, the xbox factor makes the worst case scenario pretty ****ty: a boring 3d shooter in a post apocalyptic setting.

20. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Having seen some of how the combat will work in the latest issue of PC Powerplay I think it will be acceptable. They stated that twitch skills are not necessary and will not be rewarded in the game.

There will be APs, but you won't have to use them all the time. For example, you seem some weak rat or something. You can just point your weapon at it and kill it, Oblivion-style. However, say you run into 3 Super Mutants, you can use your APs to start doing aimed shots etc, which allow you to do extra damage in a more cinematic turnbased style. The APs regenerate over time, and again depend on your agility score.

Apparently stats affect your accuracy as well, I'm expecting something like the original Deus Ex.

They had a nice shot of a super mutant suffering an exploding head from a gunshot as well. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.