1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your greatest gaming experiences

Discussion in 'Playground' started by hannibal555, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Duffin - **** man, is Medieval 2 out? I thought it was due out sometime next year! If it's out I'll definitely be getting that ASAP. Loved the whole Total War series.

I tried RW: Realism but wasn't that struck. For some reason, I can never bring myself to put mods on the game.

@ Alavin - Giants! Quality game is that kid. It never sold ever so well either. Just goes to show how a great game can be wrecked by poor marketing. That game deserved to sell big time.

2. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

M2:TW came out 3 days ago in Europe.

This is a difficult one:

Final Fantasy 7- first RPG I played. Got it for Christmas and played it for 10 hours that day...became completely absorbed. Still have fond memories of blasting Seph with Knights of the Round.

The LucasArts Archives- first games that I paid my own money for. Loved all of them, and I still recall the feeling of achievement I got when I managed to finish Hoagie's scenario.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2- first game I completely cleaned out legitimately, finishing every goal and finding every gap. I obsessed over that game for months. Still a good series but it never recaptured the magic I felt when I finally hit Big Air Out Of The Banks.

Civilisation II- I still install this game every now and then. I love rolling over my savage neighbour's cavalry with my mechanized infantry, and blasting off into space.

3. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

King's Quest V - when I knew I would be a computer game addict for the rest of my life

might and magic: world of xeen- when I knew i woud be an rpg addict for the rest of my life

Final fantasy III- when I knew I would be a final fantasy addict for the rest of my life

Baldur's gate- when I knew I loved dungeons and dragons

BGII- when I knew I had just completed the best RPG ever

PST- when, sadly, I knew I would never see a better story than the one I had finally figured out

4. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    @ion
    hey this one has almost the quality of a poem ^^

My first game I got addicted to by the way was giana sisters on my uncle's C64.
    But I was way too young and never managed to beat more than 4 or 5 levels.

5. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Phantasy Star 3 & 4
    Shining Force 1 & 2
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 5
    Rocket Knight Adventure
    Psycho Pinball
    Sorcerers Kingdom
    Speedball

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    There's a copy of Medieval TW2 with my name on it sometime today, definitely!

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Comand and Conquer-The entire series and all expantions (RA and Generals included)

Oblivion and Morrowind-Extreamly addicitive

Heroes of Might and Magic-II to V

Diablo-Fun. Played Helfire as well

Half-Life-1 and 2 (and all expantions and extras)

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Thief 2: The Metal Age had me hooked for months. It took me some time to get used to the controls and the sneaky nature of the game, but after the learning period ended, it was (and still is) a blast. The tension of trying not to be discovered, the atmosphere, the music, those dammed ghosts and zombies... I loved robbing the bank so much that I replayed that mission about 5 or 6 times just to find all the different ways to do it. Heck, I can feel the adrenaline just by thinking about it.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

There are too many to list all of them, but the latest one would have to be Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy and later Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Director's Cut in North America) the adventure game, paranormal thriller and interactive movie, released in 2005 by Atari and developed by Quantic Dream.

In short, NYC is stunned by a series of strange murders during one of the worst winters, ever. You control all of the main characters in a very movie-like adventure game, "interactive movie". The game was originally planned to be released in episodes, hence the storyline is a bit rushed at some points (Evil Atari), but otherwise it is pure golden.

In addition to the name change, the NA version has some "adult content" removed. The game was later re-released (Director's Cut) with the "adult content".

10. nunsbane

nunsbane

I played Dragon Warrior on the nes more than any one person ever should have.

Tetris - for hours on end...I once made 189 lines.

Hundreds of hours on Populous for the SNES drove my girlfriend away.

I beat Castlevania SoTN many, many times.

The original Baldur's Gate was the last game that I was really excited about and after 7 years of constant to moderate game-play I currently have a couple of games going.

IWD 2...it's no Baldur's gate but I did spend a considerable amount of time on this game.

And computer scrabble. Strangely enough, I became enthralled for about 6 months with playing the cpu and on-line opponents...sometimes more than a dozen games a day.

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    These are the few games that instantly popped into my mind:

Planescape: Torment - Best storyline ever with wonderful characters that you care about. Got my eyes teary at the part with Deionarra's memory stone.

Baldur's Gate 2 - Wonderful game with wonderful characters. THE game that pulled me into D&D.

Silent Hill 2 - One of the scariest game I've ever played. The plot twist at the end blew me away. Marred only by horrendous controls.

Final Fantasy 6 & 7 - Games that dare take it one step further. When Aeris dies, my jaw dropped. When the world was destroyed by Kefka, couldn't believe my eyes.

Minesweeper and Freecell - Most probably the two games that stole the most hours away from my life. Not to mention, these games have killed a fair share of my mice, something the Diablo games have yet to achieve.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - The most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game. Nothing beats the awe of seeing Kabuto block out the sun... then proceed to swallow you whole.

Starcraft - Still the reigning champion of RTS. Can never forget the joy of swarming my enemies with hundreds and hundreds of zerglings that demolished bases faster than carriers ever can. Has a great story to boot.

12. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Well...

Diablo and Diablo II was highly addictive for me for some time. Don't think I could stand it now, at least not Diablo II. There still something about the mood and environtment in the orginal Diablo, though.

Quest for Glory series. Beautiful adventure/rpg series. Good story, nice puzzles, lots of humor and the end brought a tear to my eye.

Planescape: Torment. Well duh. One of the greatest stories all time. Nice interactions with NPC's and others and the end brought a tear to my eye.

BG series: Oh yeah. Nice story, funny NPC's, great quests and I was misty eyed at the end.

Guess I'm a big weeper, huh?

IWD series. Well.. there is something very addictive with all those tactical battles.... Nice story also.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Planescape: Torment.
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3
    Civilization
    Might and Magic 6
    Ultima 4
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Dune 2
    Warlords 2
    Prince of Persia (1990)
    Gabriel Knight 1
    Quest for Glory 3
    Sam & Max Hit the Road
    Starcraft and Broodwar
    Shogun: Total War

I'm sure I missed some.

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Fable - Amazingly fun game, took me 2 weeks to complete and kept my attention which is a rare thing :p

Oblivion - Awesome, alot of freedom, thorougly enjoy roaming the wilderness.

Warhammer Dawn of War - Only one out of the 3 campaigns I have completed...awesome...the expansions are good too.

Baldur's Gate 1 - Love this game, but can only solo it.

Final Fantasy X - Loved its story.

Killzone - The is one amazing FPS, the concepts are awesome.

And now for the oldies...

Lords of the Realm II - Addiction :D

Warhammer Chaos Gate - Great fun.

All Sonic games made for the SEGA Megadrive!

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

15. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

PS:T - Best. Game. Ever. Storyline, characters, depth, purttyness, soundtrack... everything.

BG series - cause you're a god. What else is there to say?

Oblivion. Haven't played it all the way to the end though.

FFVIII - this was the most compelling story combined with good graphics. Fewer annoying minigames than VII too.

16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Planescape Torment: (all hail the best game ever)

UltimaVII Black Gate/Serpent Isle: The series really opened Ultima for me. A truly epic series would have been worth a ending much more graceful than it got with Ultima IX

Command&Conquer: My first touch with real-time strategy. Got to love it.

Civilization II: I did not get to try the first game of the series so this became my maiden touch with the series and I played this game hooked for it for days.

UFO Enemy Unknown: Man this game is creepy in its own way. The night terror missions with the black butcherers known as Chrysalids still creep me out!

Baldur's Gate: Really my first touch with roleplaying, I can't help but laugh at the desperate characters I made at the beginning.

Additionally I'll give a special honorary mention for Neverwinter Nights for its toolset and multiplayer. Very enjoyable game that I still play in multiplayer. Unfortunaetly the useless official campaign will drop this from the list.

EDIT: Gah! I can't believe I left out games from my favorite genre! I forgot all about adventure games! Oh well The Dig, Gabriel Knight, Grim Fandango and many others hold places very highly ranked and would be second only to planescape torment.

17. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

when we're talkin' real emotional gamin' experiences, I've had the most with consoles.

- Baldur's Gate II: duh, you guys know why ;)
    - Zelda Ocarina of Time: wow, just wow...
    - Super Mario RPG: SNES at its best. Great atmosphere
    - Baten Kaitos: little more modern, but very intense story
    - Sonic Adventure: Dreamcast was something special for me. Talkin' bout awe...
    - (the things i'm forgetting)

On Xbox and PS2 nothing really came close to those great experiences. Great games and stuff, but nothing breathtakingly awesome :) A list of greatness:

- Jade Empire: good, but not that damn good
    - DOA3: best fighting game imo, and i've seen them all. Not that deep, but easy to pick up.
    - Final Fantasy V/X: both real good.
    - Ogre Battle 64: had to play this on emulation since it didn't got released here. This took away from the overall genuine experience. Alas.
    - Perfect Dark: back in the day it was the bomb... Teh BomB I tells ya!!! Everything "Rareware" was good, if not great.
    - and more...

18. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    BG 1 & 2 - Nothing more need be said

Age of Empires 2

Civilization 3 - Just one more turn

Diablo 2

Close Combat 3: The Russian Front - Unfortunately, the AI is too easy to beat on this game. This game really shines when you play head to head.

Earl Weaver Baseball - Wasted many hours of my youth on this one.

NHL '94 on Sega

I've never played Planescape Torment. It must be really good because practically every post includes it. Perhaps I should try it.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet

Homeword: Cataclysm - an amazing piece of real-time space strategy and tactics with wicked storyline to boot.

Master of Orion II - it's Civilization... in spaaaaaace! The uniqueness of the different species and the ability to create your own 'custom' race was awesome and ground breaking for its time.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (multiplayer) - Axis vs. Allies, four classes, all out mayhem and a brilliant latency engine.

Rome: Total War - I have M2:TW but the combat is still quirky and Rome had elephants that just worked so well.

Fallout (series, excluding that Playstation II piece of crud) - the storyline and the SPECIAL rule system are things I love. The way Fallout: Tactics played from a squad based level was just awesome. I loved the ending(s) too.

Counter-Strike - never has a multiplayer game brought such a mixture of emotion.

Half-Life: Natural Selection - It's like Starcraft but a multiplayer FPS. Spent many a month dedicated to this game.

Baldur's Gate (series) - duh.
    Planescape: Torment - double-duh.

Dungeon Keeper 2 - Cute and evil. Me likey.

World of Wacraft - "Just 10 more minutes!"

20. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Baldur's Gate 1&2 - Actually, I tried Baldur's Gate 2 first, and didn't like it. Then I gave Baldur's Gate 1 a chance, and got completly hooked. And after that, no question, of course I were going to play the sequel!

StarCraft - First RTS I ever tried, opened up the entire world of computer games for me

Diablo 1&2 - Never played Diablo 1 that much, because I was to afraid to go down the church... Diablo 2, however...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 - One of my greatest RP experiences ever...

I'm forgetting some really good games here, but I'm trying to take the games that I've played most, not all the games I liked...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.