1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the Best Class?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Adaomadaos, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Adaomadaos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Adaomadaos:

And how many cats did Queen Beruthiel have? (this is from LOTR).

If this is unclear - how many stars are in the sky?

Or what is the best food on Earth?

There is no answer to your question. Don't you think that if there was just this ONE class that is the best - everybody would use it. Now where is fun and diversity in that?

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree with Modjahed. Trying to find the best class impossible.

IMO I prefer a warrior type person for the higher hitpoints and armor choces. Also I wouldent take a mage as my personal charictor in BG b/c how easy they are to kill.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As a main character, pick a mage. That way your character will be incredibly hard to kill (fighters in front, defensive spells) and you wont be forced to reload when your toughest fighter dies (i.e. the main character).

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i like fighters, since BG1 doesnt offer a formation which allows u to place the leader away from the front line

[This message has been edited by Shoshino (edited August 09, 2001).]

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] My main character was a Paladin and he worked out rather well, but again it's all a matter of preferance. The class I might suggest staying again from is the rogue, since you get a good NPC from the get go. But again this is not a hard and fast rule either.

7. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Fighter sure kicks a lotta ass!!

8. Sol'Kanar Guest

I always had a mage for my main character. That way I can pile defensive spells on myself to the point where I am very hard to get. Mirror image is rediculously powerful as a defensive spell in BG. You can't even take a hit until it's gone. I wouldn't use a fighter since, although they are generally the toughest party members, I'd say they're the ones most likely to be doing the dying if you have a good battle plan.

9. Messala Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thief with high lock picking skills, theres so much to be stolen in BG, and the Rogues that join your party earlt on arent much use on most locks.
    Also Paladdin is a great charachter to use if you want your game to be a little easier.
    Strenght and full Armour really do make much of the game easier.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

First I agree with Modjahed. There isn't a best class. Each class has an advantages and disadvantages.

A second thing is that many people think that the Strongest class is the best class. I disagree. The best class is the class that gives you the most fun when you play with it. That depends on you. There are people who like mages, there are people who swear by fighters. Just think what you would be if you where in the Forgotten Realms. What would you be? Play that... then you got the best class.

11. Inferno of Balduran Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The class i find easiest is Paladin because you are a great fighter who can use all weapons(almost) and most types of armour. Also the lay on hands ability is very usefull. Mages are probably the hardest to begin with due to there low hit points and once you have used your 2 relatively weak spells in afight then you can't win as you are appaling in combat and so you have to run away and rest. This is countered as when you progress to a higher level you become incredibly powerful with very good spells(andlots of them).

12. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

[​IMG] I love the Monk Class! One hit kills with quivering palm! -12 Ac with no armor on :eek: and tons of other ablities at high lvles. No weapon requiered.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited August 11, 2001).]

13. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Frog: This is BG not BGII there is no Monk class in BG.
    My worrior pick is indeed My opinoin

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I dislike playing Monk.

They are to powerfull so it ain't fun to play with it.

15. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

[​IMG] heh thats why their the best (i think) oh and sorry about postin it here, it was late and I forgot what forum i was in.

16. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It's fairly simple: early on in the game a fighter will be the best option, in the middle, when you've gained a few levels, a thief has started to get good at lockpicking, so he's probably the best, and in the later part the mage has gained enough spells to become powerful.

17. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I've always found that dual or multi classing with fighter as one of the classes was useful for some extra hit points, especially with a CON of 17 or more, and you can take advantage of the high STR as well.
    Of course this doesn't mean this is the best class, just one that suits a particular way of playing, depending on the other class and role that the player has in the party composition. After all a fighter thief will have different tactics from a fighter mage.

18. Moridin Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] The "best" class depends entirely on your style of play, but I have found that a level six fighter dualed to a level seven cleric is WAY overpowered. Clerics are extremely good at high levels and combine that with exceptional fighting and you have a well rounded, spell-tossing, juggernaut. (Thats probably why clerics and fighters are my favorite classes ;) ).

19. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Quick Q since I haven't bought BG1 yet:

Are there bards in BG1?

20. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yes, Shralp, there are bards (no kits of course, just straight bards). In fact I prefer bards to mages in BG1 because mages are so damned hard to keep alive, and bards are not very far behind in spell casting (well in BG1 anyway), and they level up much faster, plus they have the freedom to use any kind of weapon. So I usually go with Garrick instead of any of the mages so when he's not spell casting or using wands, he can sit back and fire his crossbow into combat.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.