1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are the best weapons in the game?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Manton, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Manton Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Simple question. I think most would put the Holy Avenger and the Crom Faeyr on the list. But I am interested to hear other people's opinions.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It really depends on your class I suppose - I like the Dragon's Breath Halberd - nice length and very nice damage. Other than that, I guess the usuals - Celestial Fury, Staff of the magi etc.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well, that´s an old topic ... however, my favs:

melee:
    -longswords: Dragonslayer, blade of roses and daystar are good. Namarra is awesome.
    -katanas: C´Fury, what else
    -scimitars: belm, waterblade and especially kashiko´s Wakizashi (all feature better initiative than longswords)
    -daggers: Boneblade, firetooth, boomerang dagger
    -maces: Mace of disruption, skullcrusher, jerrod´s mace
    -flails: Easthaven defender, drow flail and especially flail-of-the-ages
    -halberds: the wave, dragonbane and especially dragon´s breath.
    -2 handed swords: lilarcor, warblade, silversword, flame of the north and especially carsomyr
    -staffs: staff of rhynn, staff of the magi, staffspear +2
    -clubs: the +3 thing from trademeet

ranged:
    -shortbows: bow of the tuigan and especially tansheron´s bow and gesen´s bow
    -longbows: this +4 THACO and +2 on damage long bow and the strong arm
    -crossbow: drow crossbow +3, sniper crossbow
    -slings: sling of everard, arlas dragonbane +3, sling of arvoreen +4

I barely use axes, darts, bastard swords and warhammers so I have no opinions here except that Crom Faeyr is overhyped and not really necessary (basically a waste of valuable strength enhancers)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 21, 2001).]

4. Manton Gems: 3/31

The reason I ask, is because I am considering designing my 6 member party around the best items to be found.

It would just burn me up to find something truly excellent and no be able to use it, or not be able to excel with it.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  6. antoine Guest

add the equalizer to the list of Ragusa's best weapon's and it is a pretty good list

Crom not really necassery??? it is the weapon of all weapon that nobody can do without!!

And Azurdadge (or something like that) and Frostweaver are pretty good Axes

[This message has been edited by antoine (edited June 21, 2001).]

7. Thunderhammer Gems: 3/31

Flail of the Ages! Not the most powerful weapon but VERY nice. Most fun? Lilarcor.

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Warblade is my current personal fave, just cos it is so cool. Also the staff of the magi - if it makes the user invisible, can spells be cast at them?

[This message has been edited by Spudsquisher (edited June 21, 2001).]

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I too like Flail of the Ages. Three different types of elemental damage and slowing opponents are excellent. It also hits golems.

Celestial Fury is great with it's stun effect.

Mace of Disrupion +2 has some superb abilities.

Crom Faeyr and Carsomyr are obviously great weapons, doesn't take a genius to figure out how and why to use them. ;)

But the best of them all is the weapon that's is so overpowered it makes you dizzy:
    The Staff of the Magi! :D

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 21, 2001).]

10. shadow_thief Guest

i agree with you, earl grey. although i sold the flail of ages, i like the celestial fury, an ideal weapon that makes my assasin kick ass. mace of disrution +2 makes my cleric get some killing, i don't think i got to the crom faeryr yet, but i did get the camorsyr and now my paladin kicks MAJOR ass! and my devoted mage, all the spells and the fighting, has done such a wonderful job yet with the ever promising staff of the magi.

11. Herr'Don Gems: 3/31

I also agree with you Earl. And as you may see from my previous postings under "Question About My Current Party", I REALLY like Flail of Ages, and it's easy to get too. I liked it SO much that I restarted after a while through my first time to get 5 proficiencies in it! I don't know what it is about it, because it's certainly not the best weapon in the game, but it can deal the extra elements of damage to a mage with protection from magical weapons,etc (after a few hits of course!) And it's going to be better in ToB? Well I think I have reason to celebrate! Woohoo!

Anyway, it is difficult in managing to try to use all of the powerful weapons in the game, due to the limit of 6 people, but then that's probably just the fun of it!

In mo opinion, the Equalizer is not GREAT; it's good, like flail of ages, but not GREAT. I have a soft spot for Blade of Roses too, and even with just 1 proficiency I can still do a fair ammount of damage with it.

Herr'Don

12. ayecapitan Guest

And as usual, the answer on this question is standard. Argh, the only weapon i really like in this game is Fire Tooth... C'fury is just a big fault of BG2, doesnt even have a personal description (seems like the item was added by the team 3 hours afore the game went retail, and the designers really decided to compensate the general weakness of the katanas in game by overbuffing this one), Carsomyr should be guarded by at least 3 great red wyrms (firkraag is just not the one to keep such a blade) to be used by my party without that sad feeling of cheating. Dragon's Breath is indeed great and goodly balanced, but 'tis not thieves or mages.

Ragusa: did ye not just listed all of the unique items in game? :)

13. Lestatpoet Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Actually, the best "weapon" I had playing solo was the boots of speed. With a pocket full of speed potions, you can hit almost any spellcaster before he can blast you no matter what weapon you have. A spell caster without spells can be beat into submission with Neb's head....

14. MrSerious Gems: 2/31

Dak'kon's zerth blade makes a good off-hand weapon for my fighter/mage. All those extra spells...whoo-hoo. Also Adjath the Drinker is nice when you've got four attacks per round with longswords. If you don't like Carsomyr, try Joril's Dagger, its pretty cool, and why hasn't anybody mentioned the Vorpal silver sword(ok its on that list up there, my bad)? For sheer killing power, not even Carsomyr stands up to it.

[This message has been edited by MrSerious (edited July 04, 2001).]

15. ayecapitan Guest

By the gods, how can one use Dakkon's blade in this game? 'Tis so much out of picture.
    What made them add those ridiculous bonus merchants to the game?

16. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Staff of the Magi is awesome, but I like the short bow of gesen as well. It is a perfect weapon against demons!

17. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Being a humble monk, I have to say that my new favorite weapon has to be the gauntlets of crushing. I just entered the underdark and my monk just advanced to level 14. Took on the Drow warparty almost single handedly. Yikes, maybe he's too strong now ;)

18. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I love: Impaler; Wave; Cutthroat; Mace of disruption......IMO it's not important the power of a weap, but how you feel using it.

19. Zaragoth Guest

I think that Celestial fury and the Crom Faeyr is a great combo!
    But there are more great weapons too.
    I simply love Holy Avenger!

20. Draven Gems: 2/31

I feel that for a mage at least the best weapons are the sling of everand and the staff of the magi.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.