1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mount and Blade

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Tap Dancing Oyster, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

You may have tried this - you can only get to level 6 in the free ware version. I'm finding it very enjoyable -

www.taleworlds.com/

Give it a whirl. Its still only a beta - but well worth playing.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hear hear! This game is absolutely brilliant! Probably the best action RPG ever (very RPG-lite, especially at the moment - but as that isn't the focus of the game - who cares?).

The lastest version has a few more frame-rate issues than 7.11 did, though far less that 7.30. Still very playable though.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I gave the trial version a go. Pretty damn good, really. I managed to reach level six just practicing in the arena and killing river pirates. I'll give it another try soon and journey further out to see what else there is. BTW, did any of you join one of the armies? Is there much difference between the two?

4. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

I went and bought it for a tenner. I have joined the Swadians - at this point theres not much depth to the game after the intial 10 hours playing time. But apparently I get the full version when its complete.
    I still find the combat enjoyable and have a nice posse of 25+ Swadian Knights and 10+ Men at Arms. Most of the quests are fetch this find that - capture this, and a lot of the game is unfinished. But there are a lot of mods etc etc. so I'll keep looking back at the site as they add the flesh to the bones.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

There isn't any difference at the moment besides which cities you can go to.

I just downloaded the pirates mod - pretty funky :) Am also redownloading The Last Days (LotR mod). Am yet to capture the castles in the vanilla game (I tried, but alas, all my men were slain (owing to them being horsemen, no doubt), and when I finally got over the walls to face the last three in there, I gloriously battled them, killing one before the other bashed me in the back of the head with an axe :( )

6. The Kilted Crusader

I'd like to get hold of the full game (or complete so far) to get a longer go. Level 6 is just too short :p

I've yet to put any sort of force together, other than my own character and some scout called Borscha. I have a habit of spending all my cash on armour for my own character and using Borscha as fodder :p

7. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

You can recruit Peasants and Townsmen in the taverns - they can be promoted along different routes, eventually reaching Knight or Sharpshooter. The easier way to get experienced troops is to find weakened parties of enemies and re-capture their prisoners into your party. You can put quite a respectable posse out of this.
    Borcha and the other guy in the tavern at the start can be leveled up like your self - use their skills to compliment your own.

Capturing castles? Never knew you could do that?

8. The Kilted Crusader

I started building a small band of peasants and joined the swadian army. I'm getting kicked in a fair bit against any Vaegir's, but I can take down bandits easily enough, providing I'm on horse back.

The polearms are great for hit and run attacks against foot soldiers, but I really like charging another horseman and taking them down in one swift attack. Do you guys have any favoured weapons or tactics? I always use an all out attack, with my own character charging in on horseback to harry the enemy whilst the foot soldiers charge in to overpower what's left.

I'd really like to get a group of elite horsemen started so I can hammer into the enemy with big charges.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Tap Dancing Oyster: Do you have the latest version? 7.11 doesn't have it, but 7.31 does.

I captured one, btw :) A shame about the bug which makes your own people attack you when you inspect your new castle :)

Prefered tactic against horsemen: get everyone to dismount and let them break upon us. When they rear - they get mobbed and hacked down. Sometimes I add a bit of lancing to that.

Against foot --- CHARGE! :)

10. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

7.11 I think - I'm going to have to try some of the updates soon :)

My Tactics are generally press 2 - and your party will follow you - this is important because you don't want any of your troops to get isolated which can happen when you charge in. When they are outnumbered and isolated - they tend to get killed or knocked unconsious. If you see one of your troops against more than 1 of the enemy try to help them out if possible. Against foot soldiers such as River Pirates - I sometimes get my men to hold position and take out many as possible with my bow on horse back. Ride over to a comfortable distance, stop take a shot and move a bit - then repeat. People with shields don't fall too easily to this tactic as you need to let them get a bit closer and make an attack - but if you get them in the head with an arrow they're brown bread. You can rack up XP doing this.
    If you have lots of footmen take some high ground and hold position - same with bowmen. With horse use follow me and charge in - your men will charge in - but on your lead meaning you don't get seperated too much.
    Get your atheletics up to 4 or 5 - so you can retreat from foot soliders quicker than most can advance - just in case your horse gets clattered and your surronded by enemies. I base my tactics around sword and shield with a bow. But be careful not to hit your own troops - I've killed a few of my own men when they got in the way.

At level 20 odd with a good horse and armour you can take out 10 plus on your own no problems, and get a mass of experience. This is dependant on the quality of the opposition Dark Knights are tough - River Pirates hardly do any damage and you could pheasibly take on 50 or more on your own.
    Increase you leadership - to get more troops - you'll need a certain amount of charisma to do this. Riding of 3 or 4 is needed for the best horses. For trade and tracking try to focus the other two characters in this direction. This may mean moving them up in the party order to gain more xp - but they can't die anyway so don't worry.
    I've increased the size of the battle to maximum in options - I have encountered parties of 80+ - but you can only have 40 or so in a battle at one time - so you have to fight them in stages. I'm sure theres a mod to up this.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Version 0.750 is now out. I think I'll wait for the next bugless version though, as its starting to turn into a hefty download (for my pissy 56k, anyway).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.