1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

$100,000 to play a game!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Chas, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] This was in the news:

Not really D&D but it is a MMORPG. I read the story before, about someone buying an island in this game for $26,000 real money. But now they sell areas for $100K. Maybe I should give up working and devote myself to this game.

Virtual property yields $100,000

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Miami resident has bought a virtual space station for $100,000 and wants to turn it into a cross between Jurassic Park and a disco.

Jon Jacobs, a director of independent films, plans to call the space resort, in the science-fiction themed game Project Entropia, "Club Neverdie." Like other land areas in the game that has been visited by 300,000 players, the resort grounds will spawn dinosaur-like monsters, which visitors can kill.

Jacobs will take a cut of the virtual resources that the carcasses yield, like hides.

Jacobs, 39, plans to hire famous disc jockeys to entertain visitors once a week or so at the resort but still reckons on netting $20,000 a month from the hunting tax and other income.

"I want to operate this thing at the level of a major nightclub in a major city," Jacobs said.

Jacobs bought the property late last month from MindArk PE AB, Project Entropia's Swedish developer. The game, which has no subscription fee, has its own currency but it's convertible at a fixed rate to dollars.

About a quarter of the purchase money came from Jacobs' in-game earnings.

Over three years playing Project Entropia, Jacobs accumulated items that later became worth thousands of dollars, like first-aid kits and powerful weapons.

He sold those items last year to buy an island in Project Entropia, but was outbid -- it sold for $26,500, the previous record sale in that world.

He refinanced his house shortly after and considered investing some of the cash in the hot Miami real-estate market, but he realized that if he bought a rental property, it really wouldn't generate any income beyond what he'd pay for the mortgage and repairs.

So he invested the proceeds in the game.

IGE, a leading broker of game property, said it has handled deals worth more than $100,000, but would not provide details because of client confidentiality.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Can I become a virtual MMORPG lawyer?

3. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Project Entropia?

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Some people really ought to be euthanized at birth.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not this guy though. Chances are great he can actually *make* money with that idea.

If not... well then that's his problem.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Considering that people have selling their virtual items for thousands of dollars on Ebay, and that one guy (in Southeast Asia, not sure exactly which country) killed his friend because said friend messed up his online character... nothing really surprises me anymore.

:lol:

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I wonder if there are limists of human stupidity :nuts:

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Probably not :lol:

Just look around you!

9. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Just look at everquest, people routinely sell items for REAL money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Same goes for Diablo 2.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Can someone explain this for me? I don't understand any of it. What exactly did he buy and how does he make money from it?

12. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Buying virtual property for real money. For example, "your D2 character has awsome sword, here have 500$ for it."

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I still don't understand. What can you do with "virtual property" that makes it worth money?

14. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

You just own a thing that doesn't really exist. It's like buying air!
    You just have a satisfaction becasue you own an unique item, one of it's kind, no one else (or only few) in the whole gaming world has it.
    It's just beyond my imagination.

15. Harbourboy

Sorry for being thick, but I still don't understand. Are you saying that someone paid a real $100,000 for a non-existent item in a computer game?

Just so I get this straight - is that like me paying $100,000 to get the raven avatar on SP, because there is only one raven and nobody else can have it?

16. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Harbourboy: Basically, yes. The game is Project Entropia, which is based on a real cash economy. Basically you buy game currency with real money, that can then be used in-game. Of course this works the other way too, so you can exchange it back to real cash. So if you make profit in-game you will make real profit as well.

As for this case, I do not remember the details anymore, but I think there were estimates that he will make profit with it in a year or so. By renting space and whatnot.

17. Harbourboy

So you buy something that is not real for $1,000 and then sell that same unreal thing to somebody else for $2,000? Amazing!

18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, HB - the trick is that the area he's purchased spawns monsters that players will kill and harvest (make armour, clothes, weapons, FOOD, etc from the body parts). The profit-making is that these players will have to pay a 'hunting tax' in virtual credits for the permission to use the entrepeneur's turf.

Get maybe 200 ppl a week paying 100 'credits' each then converting those in-game credits to real-world (at what - 50:1 exchange? I've looked at PE, but never had the h/w spec to run it...) $400/week with no real effort? He's netting a decent income that'd easily rival being a RL landlord! :bad:

Let's see...I upgraded the PC not long ago...where's that MMO's page... ;)

19. Harbourboy

Huh? Who's going to pay real money to harvest fake animals from a fake place in a game?!

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The same people who pay to play MMO games in the first place. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.