1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top 5 Worst Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by kuemper, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

5. Icewind Dale 2 - Completely dull experience and insanely easy to complete. #ed rules makes everything way too easy, and even more redicilous.

4. Might and magic IX - That along with heroes and might and magic 4 sendt the company straight to the abyss. Completely ruined a great series of rpg games.

3. Diablo 2 - Hack and slash all the way, and the enemies respawns, including the bosses. Makes me wonder why people in the game pay me to get rid of , for example that mummy in the sewers, only to have it respawn later. Moronic hack and slash.

2. World of Warcraft - I understand why people play this tutorial but I certainly didn`t like it. If everyone respawns, why do they have graveyards in the game? :) I just don`t find it interesting to run around with eternal life only to gain levels.

1. Neverwinter nights - this game I hate with a passion. Its absolutely the worst game I have ever bought. 300 XP for killing a dragon??? come on. Its insanely stupid. Add 3ed rules to that and that damn pointbuy system and you have a stinker. They didn`t even manage to get the armour bonuses correctly (studded leather for example).

Well there you go hehe

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Howdy, flop-pickers! My run-down of the worst 5 games of all time goes thusly:

5. X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter

Utterly failed to live up to the majesty of either X-Wing or TIE Fighter by utterly neglecting to include a proper single player campaign, and having you re-spawn in mission if you were killed even in single player. The Balance of Power expansion did improve some of this, however, but it still loses points by making you do missions in the Z-95 Headhunter. It's just not Star Wars. :tie:

4. Tomb Raider

Booo-rrr-ing. Seriously though, what did this game have going for it other than breasts? The control system was terrible, making movement infinitely slower and more complex than it should have been and constantly remaining locked on to deceased foes when you know that a proper mouse-keyboard system would have done the job soooo much better. Crap controls were the bane of all console 3D games until the N64, but there was no escuse for importing it onto the PC and it still being crap.

3. Rise of the Triad

One of many pathetic Doom-clones from the early 90's, RotT (Oh! what an appropriate acronym!) stands out in my mind as especially deserving of my ire owing to its poor reward structure and seemingly random level design. Veering uncontrollably between pathetically easy and impossibly hard (with annoying, difficult to judge traps, too) RotT was Apogee's attempt to steal some of iD's thunder after not getting to publish Doom as they had Wolfenstein 3d and Commander Keen. They failed; this was utterly ROTTen attempt. Just like that last joke, actually... :shake:

2. Battlespire

Does anyone remember Daggerfall? Bethesda Software's continent-spanning magnum opus was hailed as a bugged masterpiece (as are most RPGs, come to think about it) when it first appeared. I didn't notice, though, as I was too busy nail-gunning Shamblers in Quake at the time. After a little while (and Ultimas VII and VIII), I got into RPGs more, and looking through some old PC Gamers decided that Daggerfall sounded like my cup of tea. I was well aware, however, that the sequel (the aforementioned Battlespire) was said to be utter bobbins. I therefore handed my father precise instructions in the run-up to Christmas to retrieve said game from a convenient local vendor. I even issued a clear "not Battlespire" edict. Unfortunately, parents are often susceptible to the "it's exactly the same" arguments of store assistants eager to exploit their ignorance, and the inevitable happened. As a consequence, I had to do the whole masking disappointment thing on Christmas Day.

Try as I might, the game was as dire as I had feared. Character generation was the sole highlight (ooh! boobies! :love: ) and after that it was all downhill. I mean it has levels, ferchrissake! Levels!!! Not in the normal way that is, with XP points and "levelling up". Nooo. Levels as in different map areas you progress through linearly to get to the end. You only "level-up" between levels. Utter bollocks. Levels. And it spoiled Christmas. It doesn't get any worse.

Or does it...?

1.All turn-based games

There's just no excuse for these anymore. After Baldur's Gate came out and showed the world how it should be done, by taking a turn-based system and seamlessly integrating it with real-time gameplay without any of that oh-so irritating "action point" gubbins, there's no way anyone should accept any less. Turn-based is all well and good when PnP leaves you little choice, but with £2000 of hardware you should be above such drudgery. For this reason, I still haven't got further than that first village in Fallout. And I'd rather do my own dentistry than try, frankly, because the stupid turn-based combat winds me up so much, however good everyone keeps telling me it is.

So there we go - my list of the 5 worst, for your delectation. Sorry for going on a bit, but I've been wanting to vent my rage there for quite some time.

In retrospect, perhaps Battlespire deserved #1 spot on the basis that I ranted about it more than any of the others, but I suspect that may be more to do with the psychological trauma induced by Christmas disappointment than game quality. Although it is appallingly bad. Levels! But I'll stand by turn-based games for now, if for no other reason than I'm bollocks at chess. So there. :p

3. ObviousDelirium Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

1- Legend of the Ancient Dragon. Bought that for 5$, a huge mistake it was, bad story, extremely glitchy, unbalanced battles, no music (at least not for me), one of the worst experience I had.

2- Big Rigs. Racing game with trucks and lots of action on the road... if there actually was anything happening at all, the opponents aren't moving, horrible graphics, no collision detection at all, etc. Look at the video review on Gamespot, it's hilarious.

3- Prince of Persia Warrior Within. I'd probably like this one if it wasn't for the horrible atmosphere, the "angsty" prince and the rather half-assed puzzles that starts appearring more and more as the game advances.

4- Star Ocean 3. This game had a few things going for it, what with the battle system... but, while this certainly is a nice battle system, where did the rest of the game go? The story is horrible, the characters are bland and generic, and that,s not without mentionning how most of it felt like they simply said: "Hey, the game is too short, let's had lots of fetch quests around that have absolutly nothing to do with the story, with pretty bad dungeons too!", mostly for disc 1 that is. Such a bad way of ending a series such as Star Ocean.

Can't think of a fifth one right now, I'll edit this post later.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm amazed that so many of you hate Icewind Dale II. That is one of my favourite games ever.

Anyway, my 5 worst games are:

- Doom - impossibly difficult when you get stuck on some level and have no way of knowing that the only way through is to blast a hole in a random piece of wall.

- Quake - same as Doom but even harder to work out what is going on.

- Street Fighter 2 - you had to have 17 fingers to be able to do all the complicated combo moves before you got slammed by Ryu.

- Sim City - my cities always descended into chaos after about half an hour. There didn't seem to be an 'easy' level on which to practice so my cities always died.

- Die Hard - the car driving segment was impossible to do in time so you always just ended up running over pedestrians instead.

I've only covered modern games here. Clearly, there were 100s of dodgy games that didn't work properly in the 80s (especially the ones you had to type in yourselves from code mis-printed in some computer magazine) but I don't think that is the point of this thread.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I generally manage to avoid bad games because I'm always a couple of years behind release dates and always read reviews.

I have to agree with that comment. I've been playing this game on and off for the last 3 months. Actually, it's not so much the savepoints that bug me (although I generally dislike games without quicksave feature, because it prevents brief gaming sessions). What frustrares the heck out of me is the way the camera angle keeps changing on its own; when it happens mid-battle, you suddenly end up changing directions and running straight into enemies you were previously moving away from, making battles very hard. I don't have a problem with difficult battles, but they shouldn't be difficult due to crappy camera control.

/end rant

6. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Heath - crappy, generic rpg that was evidently translated in about half an hour by an elderly chimp with a russian-english dictionary and a pack of crayons.

Blade & Sword - soulless diablo clone that tantalised me with the promise of a cool, asian-themed setting and creating your own deadly kung fu style. Actually involved creating boring combos out of boring moves to kill slow, shambling zombies with lots of hit points.

Trolls - Platformer on the Amiga featuring those weird dolls with big hair. Earns a place on the list above other dull platformers because my little sis loved it and hogged the computer to play it, preventing me from playing Civilization or UFO: Enemy Unknown :(

Loom - Tried to be inventive but came out badly, from what I remember. To be fair, I was only a kid and may not have appreciated this game fully, but it just felt fundamentally wrong without all the monkey island-esque verb commands and fun humour of other Lucasarts games of the period.

Any old sports games that involved wiggling a joystick really fast - I'd save up my pocket money for ages to buy a swishy new joystick only for the microswitches to be knackered by my stepbrother. Bah! The trials of being a pre-teen gamer.

[ February 01, 2006, 16:32: Message edited by: Will ]

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmm don't know if I can think of 5 (though there certainly have been more than 5, I just can't think of them now).

Ok here's what I can think of now:

• Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - horrible horrible horrible game. Taking such a beautifully tight engine and turning it into a terrible, floaty 3d monstrosity.
    • Track and Field Meet - a game on the gameboy that was just a button masher. Hated it sooo much!

Hmm I'll probably think of more later.

8. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31

- Lionheart: god, what a ridiculous waste of programming. I love how every time your character stops walking, they stand with their legs spread wide like they've had too much to drink and are struggling to maintain balance! Sad, sad clickfest.
    - Morrowind III: elder scrolls: shame on me for coming into a series three parts into it, but this game is so ridiculously dull that it makes me sleep! It's like a really, really good sedative! I never spent so much time walking in a game in my life, and all the characters names have at least six syllables!
    - Magic: Battlegrounds: says it all
    - die hard : nakatomi plaza: this is fun just to listen to the horrendous voice acting
    - contract J.A.C.K. : gimme a break!

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The worst games don't even earn to be mentioned, I don't play them enough.
    Now my greatest disappointments:

- Sid Meier's Pirates. The graphics are repetitive and aimed at 6 year olds and the only difficulty in getting the optimal score is the dancing, you have to do the annoying dancing 100 times.

- Eye of the Beholder. Just click with the mouse as fast as possible and pull stupid levers and you can starve if you don't act fast enough.

- Chaos Engine 2. The first part was such a great game on the amiga.

10. JRR Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

1: Neverwinter Nights
    2: Oblivion
    3: TOEE
    4: Morrowind
    5: Neverwinter Nights

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Lionheart (PC): Urrrhhhjjggghh! Stupid waste of time, money and programming. Ridiculously hard and bad graphic. Game sucks period.

Quake III Arena (PC): Boom! Boom! Die! Harrrhggh! What? That's all? Kill everyone in a room and move on to kill more? Ehh? Laaaaammmmmmeee

Mine Sweeper (PC): Can it get more boring than that?

Warbreed (PC): I'm not even sure of the title, it's a starcraft-clone with stupid teletubies-looking alien who must collect some kind of stupid plant to survive and make stupid warrior to go to war against other stupid alien. Ruined my Christmas :(

Summoner (PS2) : Retarded «RPG» with a retarded hero « What's happening to the village?! » It's burning you half brain idiot! . A friend gave it to me 'cause she said it was utterly boring. She was right.

12. nior Gems: 24/31

Mine Sweeper boring? It's addictive. :grin:

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    King's Quest VIII, The Mask of Eternity.
    Where the first 7 King's Quests were a nice puzzle/adventure game (what we were used from Sierra), the 8th part was turned in a dull sort of FPS with here and there a puzzle. Ugly, dark and too much combat compared to the first 7 ones.

Leisure Suit Larry 8, Magna Cum Laude
    LSL used to be a funny adventure game (like the King's Quests), but Sierra turned this number 8 (again 8) into an unending serie of stupid mini-games.

(Edit: Mmh, the games I mentioned are not really RPG's, but I put them in this thread nontheless...)

[ June 20, 2006, 12:44: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

14. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I dont really have a top5 but i found Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor pretty awfull i must have played it for about an hour in total before hiding it in the spare bedroom :p . I hate the turned based system and the graphics were appaling to say it was released after BG1 and 2 i think. I also cant get into Neverwinter nights i guess im just too used to the BG "2D" style play and also there is no chance to get a party => no banter :( .

15. lizardpudding Gems: 3/31

@JRR: toee WAS awful. Yeesh.

16. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ok, my turn

1-Dragonshard. I actually thought it would be worth the 10 euros I had to pay for it. Turns out even that sum was too much, it wasn't really strategy, just some "you can have 7 characters and use some cheesy skills". I couldn't bring myself to play past the first level, even the lizardmen were goody-two-shoes defenders of justice...

2- Quake III arena, graphics, gameplay and just about anything sucked.

Can't think of anything else just now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.