1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Magic vs Bashing?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Shell, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    In games such as NWN, BG etc do you prefer magic (sorcerers etc) as opposed to good old bashing with a very big sword etc

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Magic vs Bashing? (33 votes.)

Magic vs Bashing? (Choose 1)
    * Magic - 30% (10)
    * Bashing - 70% (23)

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

THARG WILL SMASH!!! :mad:

*cough*

What I meant to say was that I generally prefer a melee-based attack strategy, with ranged and magic available either as support or as enhancements. I also like stealthy characters, so lots of backstabbing is also often the order of the day. Generally I play Rangers (Stalkers rule!) or FMTs, so I can cover all of these bases (sort of) in one character.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Magicians are usually too vulnerable imo, i'm a powergamer, that's why i usually go with the melee type of characters.

Except for Sacred, but that's mainly because the "Battlemage" option presented itself in the main menu. :D

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Magic. It was, of course, so much better when I hadn't seen any of the spells before. Now they just kind of all blend into one.

5. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've mostly played melee-based characters, usually just fighters, but as of late I've gotten an incredible interest in the arcane casters.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

With the exception of PS:T, my main char is always a fighter class. like pac man, I feel that casters are too vulnerable and I like my main character to be able to protect himself even without companions

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I prefer hiding and evasion :( nah, not really , i like a mixture. Sometimes i feel like frying an orc sometimes i feel like decapatation...

8. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Bashing, though my favorite class is Thief/Rogue.

9. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Has to be magic for me.

Take BG2 for example, you could easily solo with a magic character, but I don't think a fighter class would get very far.

10. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I like magical enhanced melee.

I usually play a cleric who uses stats-altering buffs for more melee carnage. I voted bashing.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I'm much the same as Magpie on this one. I like playing the fighter types and tend to use magic in more of an artillery fashion.

12. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    :yot: I belatedly apologise for the amount of etc's I used in the first message :lol:

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I've said it before and I'll say it again; there are just too f***ing many fights in a row with CRPGs to exclusively use magic. In PnP I can be a magic-user, but with CPRGs you need some bashing ability to survive without annoyingly time-consuming tactics like shoot->run->hide. That being said, I do still occasionally like the sneaky path. :evil:

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Agrees with Fellinoid.

Especially with new games, where magic looks cool and is slow and tedious to rememorize... I just hack and slash.

In the old games where magic was quick and rest was plentiful, I liked magic more. Nothing weirder than charming the entire group of enemies and getting zero experience for it. :p

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Much like Magpie, really - rrraaAAARGHH! Me SMASH you good!

I much prefer to get in close and bash away. Magic is fine, especially the instant-death spells (particularly in NWN - Finger of Death is just awesome in effect and in depiction), but lacks the personal touch of a good honest stomping.

This is particularly true in the first 5 minutes of HotU - to quote Homer Simpson, "I'll teach you to mess with my stuff! I'll chop you good!"

Backstabbing and sneak attacks are fun, too. But in the end, it's just a degenerate form of bashing. :p

The NonSequitur Method:
    ------------------------------------------
    1. Hit 'em.
    2. Keep hitting 'em.
    3. If anybody casts a spell, hit 'em.
    4. If someone's taking too much damage, pull them out of combat, heal them, then see #1-3.
    5. If there's no-one to hit, cast True Sight.
    6. If some sneaky git is revealed by True Sight, hit 'em.
    7. If there's still no-one to hit, grudgingly put weapons away.

16. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I prefer melee as well. And you dont have to go sleep after every 3 fights like with a spellcasting party.
    This is not to say that magic is useless but only that it acts complementary to the meleeing powers.

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    OFELIX WILL SMASH YOU SMASH YOU TO GOO!

'Nuff said.

18. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Magic.
    :hippy: Pretty colours...

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Magic all the way!

Though I do admit that in one-man-show games it can somtimes get tedious. Then again I went through both Diablos with magic users and found it much more fun than any bashing class.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I have found something which expresses my need to hack 'n slash more than zap with magic. The Faster Way :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.