1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Five Greatest Games of All Time

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lost Meme, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What do you think are The Five Greatest Games of All Time?
    Or around five, you can even put down a series of games - go crazy ;) .
    Mine are, in an order I cannot possibly fathom:

Planescape: Torment

Baldur's Gate 1&2 :p

The Ultima games (except IX)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - I will always remeber the babel fish puzzle :bang:

And Lemmings :) .

There is an honourable mentions slot, but I can't be bothered to put them down.
    This has probably been done before, but where's the harm in doing it again?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Tetris (simple and yet challenging all at the same time; also a classic)

BG series (I'm hooked; the original is my favorite, but they're both so good)

FF series (8 is my favorite)

Starcraft (played it so often my CD broke :( )

Madden NFL '99 & 2004 (even if the Packers don't win, the Packers can still win... :roll: )

I have no doubt that PS:T would make my list as well, but I still haven't gotten around to buying it.

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Commander Keen (*ah*, the good times Keen and I have had together)

Baldur's Gate series (Brilliant games, never matched since)

Championship Mannager series (Fun, and good time killer)

Diablo I (though I were addicted to D2 once, it's not worthy of a top 5 listing)

FIFA series (Again, soccer like CM, great fun, though best played at console)

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

These are the ones I played and enjoyed.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    Civilization II
    The Sims+all 7 expansion packs
    Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight+Mysteries of the Sith ( :love: Mara Jade, the future Mrs. Skywalker)
    Angband

Sorry, but BG series is #6.

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Civilization
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Starcraft
    Worms
    Doom

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

In no particular order...

Deus Ex
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    F.E.A.R.
    System Shock 2

I need more FPSRPGs! But Oblivion comes out soon.

EDIT: Wow, people have put down so many old games... I personally couldn't stand the Civ games. I bought Civ3 to see what it was like. The tutorial told me nothing, so I had no idea what I was meant to do.

7. iceviper77 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

my 5:
    1.gabriel knight 2
    2.baldur's gate 2
    3.quest for glory series
    4.heroes of M&M 3
    5.the longest journey

about planescape torment-great storyline,great graphics, but the overall game isn't worth the top 5.

8. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ok, I've never been able to decide on top spot so I've got three equal firsts.
    1) BG Series
    1) Deus Ex 1(playing for second time) & 2(still playing - yet to complete)
    1) GTA VC(Coolest theme, music, time period ever) and San Andreas (its HUGE!!!)
    2)Vampire the Masquerade
    3)Trackmania (the best, craziest, funnest racing/puzzle game ever)

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] Wuh... Only 5?! :jawdrop:

Oh well, I'll just have to plump for about 15 (dis)honourable mentions, then! :D
    </font>
    1. Planescape: Torment - Best plot, best characterisation, most original setting... It just rules.
    2. Ultima VII: The Black Gate - Maybe it's the nostalgia, but the unparalleled feeling of travelling through a world hasn't been matched since, although...
    3. ...Baldur's Gate - comes close. Much more freeform, and better balanced than its sequel. A sheer joy.
    4. Thief - Sneaky-sneak-sneak-sneak-SNEAK!!! But refuses to run under XP :cry: Bad Micro$oft! No cookie for you! :toofar:
    5. Halo (Xbox) - Man, this rules. Even now the it's still fun; co-op is a blast and I must've completed it so many times already! I'm probably biased because my flatmates & I have 2 Xbox's between the 4 of us, which makes link-up just superb, especially for team play. Just great, great fun.
    Of course their are Honourable Mentions for all the other IE games (BG2, IWD1&2) as well as NWN: SoU (the OC sucks, and HotU is like like ToB; suspension of disbelief & skill fly out the window as items become ever stronger :rolleyes: ), but I'll also "big-up" Doom & Quake; quality shooters from the Golden Age of id Software. Deus Ex is in there, too, for marrying FPS & RPG in true "Genre Busting" style.

EDIT: Gah! Forgot KotOR :doh: and Jedi Knight & MotS! :bang:

[ October 12, 2005, 12:19: Message edited by: The Magpie ]

10. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

in no particular order...

baldurs gate series
    halo (xbox only)
    worms
    kotor series
    tony hawks underground series (skating games, if you don't know... also xbox only)

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

1. Planescape: Torment
    2. BG1
    3. Fallout
    4. Deus Ex
    5.The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

12. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Perhaps this will help?

Planescape: Torment - Best story ever!
    Thief 2 - A great game with lots of great fanmade missions
    Vice City - The best GTA game ever!
    Grim Fandango - Hilarious!
    Gabriel Knight 3 - A great story combined with Tim Curry's great voiceacting makes this one of the best adventure games ever!

13. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Torment
    BG I&II
    Fallout I&II
    Worms II
    Ahem...Megaman I&II (old 8-bit NES)

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

1. Civilization series with and without Sid
    2. Command and Conquer series
    3. Starcraft
    4. Lemmings
    5. Elite

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My five greatest in no particular order:

Betrayal at Krondor
    BG series
    Ceasar III
    Planescape/Torment
    The Culture series by Funatics

16. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Vampires the masquerade- Bloodlines
    BG serie
    Final Fantasy serie (the IX rock)
    The Mario Bross serie (who haven't played this NES classic?)
    Age of Empire 2

'nuff said

17. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

This is hard.

Grim Fandango -favourite adventure ever.
    BG2 - favourite RPG ever.
    Alpha Centauri - favourite strategy ever.
    Jedi Knight series - favourite FPS ever (they're all tied).

I have to put Planescape in there somewhere as well.

Honourable mentions go to: HoMM3, Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Doom 2, Civ II.

Bloodlines could be up there, and maybe KOTOR. But ATM they can't compete with BG2.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ultima: Martian Dreams (Ultima Adventures) followed by Black Gate and Serpent's Isle
    Baldur's Gate Saga
    Fallout Series
    Goblins Series (funniest games around)

19. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Metal Gear Solid - The original for ps, man this game rules. Awesome storyline and incredible atmosphere, finished it a bazillion times. No other game has ever moved me this much.

Vagrant Story (ps) - Got awesome reviews but was quickly forgotten and left to collect dust in some obscure gamer's corner. I was one of those gamers. Amazing looks (even now they are still great) & story, perfect system, endless gameplay, etc.

Icewind Dale II: No matter how many times I play this, I just can't get tired of it. Not that it is so incredibly good, but the 'cozy autumn/wintery atmosphere' just keeps sucking me in.

Final Fantasy 9: My fav in the FF series. Had the best visual look, music and story, not to mention an inverted castle, a flying rock that serves as a heaven for giant chicks (as in the animal) and men with monkey tails!

Colony Wars: Red Sun (ps): Back when this was released, I was completely, and I mean completely addicted. Collecting money to buy new ships and upgrade them was never this much fun. A game that has been nearly completely forgotten.

honarable mentions go to Homeworld 2, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, FF10, and a whole slew of great stuff I'm probably forgetting. I really ought to check out planescape: torment sometime, I'm pretty sure I'd love it. To my shame, I have to admit never having played any part in the BG series.

20. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] Neverwinter Nights ;)

Red Alert 2 (and the Yuri's Revenge expansion)

Lottso! You can find it here

Theme Hospital . Sad But True

Marble Run . Very addictive

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.