1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Poll - has a death in a game made you cry? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Cúchulainn, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Wait a minute, does it count if you laugh so hard you cry?

2. Juaqeen Roukas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Does it count if you cried when you realized you just wasted $50 on POR Ruins of Myth Drannor?

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal: Viconia's romance ending.

She died. :( Yeah, I still haven't gotten over it.

Also, Chrono Trigger, when Frog defeats Magus. I did it the first time, but never again. Magus was both cool and he was NOT evil. :(

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've never cried over a computer game - come on, it's a game! Sure, I've felt sad but never burst into tears. Come to think of it, I can't remember crying over a movie, even when I was a kid (well, except Spaceballs, and that was for entirely different reasons).

Viconia's original romance ending is sad, but completely appropriate, especially if the PC was good. If you're that heartbroken, Rutkowski, get the Flirt pack to change the possible ending to something a bit more... well, evil.

The part with Toby was brilliant - it was really sad and done perfectly. The part where she realises what Toby is doing and tries to stop him sacrificing himself for her is wonderful and tragic at the same time, even down to her sobbing as she gets turned back into a little girl again. The story of the Rusalka and how she was laid to rest was also exceptionally well done.

QFG 4 really nailed those parts, much as it did for the finale (which made it all the more satisfying when you gave a certain villain their come-uppance). I felt sorry for one of the villains, even though I knew I shouldn't and it was all their fault that all of this had happened. The other one, though... well, it felt good killing that one.

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Some *bad* spoilers here. But then, it should be expected of a thread like this. I'd rather the details were kept to a minimum though, as if I ever felt like playing FF X, those thoughts are all gone now.

** FF VII SPOILER **

The last game, and according to my memory the only game I ever cried in, was indeed FF VII. Not yet at the point of Aeris' death, but in the end. When you defeat Sephiroth, when you've already realised for a while that unlike in games before, there will be no resurrecting the lost ones. When the lifestream helps the "Holy" to defend the planet, etc. That was way too emotional.

As for the issue of crying in a game being ridiculous, I quite wholeheartedly disagree. If someone can bring their self-immersion abilities into adulthood to the point where they can feel so strong genuine emotions as crying (whether that was because of grief or relief & happiness) over a game, then I envy them. It might seem geeky or 'girlish' or whatever for a man (for females it's obvious they can cry as much as they want), but in the end the question is this simple: who gets more out of the game? The one most, or the one least touched by it?

The definition of a good book, movie or a game is that it becomes more than what it is. That it becomes an involving world of its own. That's entertainment, that's escapism at its best (and all entertainment is escapism in one form or another).

Real life is another matter entirely. For a man to cry over everything is indeed strange. But in a game it's a matter of immersion abilities. And a good roleplayer can make themselves feel the loss of a character in a game as close to that happening in real life as possible. All good roleplayers must possess this ability to some extent. Afterall, there's a reason why normal people don't see what's so interesting in PnP roleplaying for example: either they think it's too geeky to even try it, or they lack the ability to create the world in their minds - a skill 100% essential for roleplaying.

A long text again. Anyway, that's my *short* take on this. I wouldn't bother you with more lengthy explanations of the possible exceptions etc. Blah blah blah, carry on. ;)

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am female and I can't say that I've ever cried at the end of a game although I might have leaked a few tears after some movies.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hmm. Not at the end of any game per se, but I have shed a few tears while playing on the ALFA PW for NWN.

8. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I'm not insensitive - but I cant understand why anyone would cry at a game characters death - I find the thought incomprehensible.

I once cried after I ran over an old lady in GTA.... But I soon recovered, took her money and drove off :p

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Does <CHARNAME> count? Even when you haven't saved in a couple of hours? :D

Never cried, but I agree with Alavin. Planescape: Torment had a very satisfying emotional ending.

I was shocked by the death of Dupre -- it was a semi-emotional moment.

10. Nicolas Hydre Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I'm looking at you Aeris!
    I've cried in lot's of games... even mario lol ^^

11. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Its been awhile, but on the old Sega Game Console, playing Mightand Magic. Eight character available, each with a specific class quest to be completed. Played almost nonstop for 8 months,until I discover a bug/trick. One square on map that respawns hordes of monsters. With big magic, you wipe them out for major XP. Went from 35th level, straight to level 252 (max number Sega could handle). Seemed like a great idea, now plowing through all comers, until I rested. It seems you age one year per level,and now all my chars were 280 yrs old and die when resting. Even found a spot where you could drink from fountain of youth for random effect, but it would age you more than not, so I wasted 8 months of active game play. probably served me right for trying to cheat.

12. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

I don't recall a video game ever drawing tears, but there have been some emotional moments.

Warcraft 3's Orc campaign end cinematic was done perfectly, IMO. One of my favorite story moments in gaming, and had me closer to tears than a game had done in... probably ever.
    The Frozen Throne's end cinematic was pretty emotionally loaded for those of us who played Warcraft 3 all the way through and enjoyed the story. Maybe I'm just a sap, but I half-expected Arthas to betray the Lich King at the end there :p

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, not really made me cry. But there has been some points i felt sad or so. Like the scene where Sephiroth kills Aeris in FF7, first time i saw it i was shocked. :(

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can be moved but I am detached from such feelings. I experience them but I realise they are a product of a game, so they are more of an aesthetic experience than an internal sensation.

15. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Never cried for something in a game, but MGS came close. Man, that game sure moved me, especially the last part.

16. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, I'll admit that I am sucker for things lik heroic deaths and overally epic stuff, so I'm moved pretty easily. I can even shed a tear or two if I'll allow myself to, but to cry, in a sense of sitting and just sobbing, never happened to me. A pity, truly, for a game like that would be a masterpiece. I remember Homeworld opening, with the fantastic Adagio For Strings; Thief ending, which was so perfectly calm, after all this chaos; Opening the Sealed Door in Chrono Trigger, when we get messages from Casper about "Wings Of Time"; Also ending of CT, though happy, I was just sad that game ended. There are many minor situations as well, for example "Many often wondered as I often wonder, what difference so few make against so many" from IWD2 opening or Thrall's death in WC3, too many to name them. Am I gay or what?

I'm surprised, though, to see so many people say FFX. While my opinion of the game's doubtful quality has it's share of followers(Just like every other FF out there), I've never met with placing it at position of Tragic Ending. For me it was like ending of Titanic; Supposedly sad, but I thought on the lines of "Serves him right".

And one more thing, to people who say that crying during game is unimaginable. Well, rather a question: Do you accept crying on movies and books? If yes, then I am saddened by the fact you don't tread games like equal type of art. Your IP has been logged. Have a nice day. :p

17. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Aye, Koki. Heroic Deaths are high on my list of crying spots. I cried when Grom died in WC3, and have worshipped him as my official WC3 avatar ever since. I also cry when characters in fire emblem die with really meaningful quotes.

18. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Koki: Thrall does not die, Grom Hellscream is the one who dies.

I cried during the ending of FF X.

I was totally emotional during the ending of Planescape Torment. I literally sat staring at the screen for 10 minutes after it was over, refusing to believe a game could be that good.

I was also pretty emotional during the ending of MGS3: Snake Eater.

Hmm, yes. I also found Hellscream's death very sad, and I also half expected Arthas to betray the Lich King. :p

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've been thinking about this for a month now. No. I've never cried over a death in a game. I got *angry* - why did Cmdr. Renard in MechCommander 2 have to stay in his 'mech?! I was looking forward to payback on that crazy sob! Khalid's dead? I liked Khalid!

I play so few games where there's actually a plot. Mostly RPGs where if the character dies, game over and reload time.

20. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

in the ending of FFX, and when aeris died in FFVII...even though i know it happens i still get sad when i see the movie now =(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.