1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which game is better?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Felinoid, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just played BG saga and NWN from the list, a little bit of Arcanun and Fallout. So, from what I've played, IMHO, BG2 is the best in every aspect.

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ps:T is IMO clearly the best. Replayable, I like the level up system and alot more. Even though the class system lacks some things compared to BG II, it fits well with the story and it realy isnt a big drawback when you think about the other things you can do.

I also think that most people vote BG II or others because that is the game they have played most, or even the only game of this kind they have played. If they had played Ps:T, their views might have been different. Baldurs Gate II is still in 2nd place in my list though.

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, I'm amased that so few people like the PS:T mechanics. The stat based dialogue options are the best mechanic, while combat mechanics are rather the same in all of the titles (unless you want 3.0, in which case you'd prefer IWD2). I do know BG2 has some dialogues like that too, but they are very very minor, while in PS:T, almost 50% of dialogue if not more uses this mechanic.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think people are taking mechanics to mean either "game engine" or "interpretation of D&D rules". At least I did... and in either case IWD2 would win IMO.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Ziad:
    Well, that is what I described it as.

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I always considered stat-based dialogue as part of the engine. I think what you meant with "game engine" is "combat engine" which is not the same, as combat is only a part of the entire engine. A game engine also covers the graphics engine and so forth.

7. Felinoid

Mechanics covers a goodly portion of the game engine. Design is only the visual and sound effects, as well as dialogue. Dialogues being based on stats is a coded decision point, which would fall under mechanics, though the actual words of the dialogue would fall under design. (Or possibly storyline, if I had thought of that question before I posted the poll. :doh: )

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I voted for the "I like another one better" option on every single one, save for the last.

BG2 and Fallout 2 are very much on the same line for me. Even though the other is a sci-fi game while the other is fantasy, they are very similar. And though this is a fantasy game forum, you did give us the freedom of voting for an undefined "other" game. ;)

Anyway, BG2 would be the winner of the named alternatives that were given. But aside from storyline and dialogue, I do consider Fallout 2 superior.

9. Nicolas Hydre Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I have never played most of them and the ones I did (both baldur's gates) I didn't get even close to finishing... lol

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Icewind Dale II was one of the best games I've played from a technical standpoint. Very balanced, very cool implementation of the 3E rules, way better than NWN for sure...and really cool battles, etc.

However, it had a very dumb story, absolutely limited replay value and linear gameplay.

Which is why, although technically IWDII is very good, BG2 is way better!

11. Atari Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Baldur's Gate 2, all the way! Although Planescape:Torment is far superior in terms of storyline.

12. Felinoid

Now at 61 votes:

BG2 remains the leader in all categories (43%, 36%, 38%, 52%). :rolleyes:

For mechanics the only decent contender is IWD2 (34%), though PS:T did manage distant third (7%).

Design is a fairly linear spread of BG2 (36%), PS:T (30%), IWD2 (18%), and BG1 (8%).

In difficulty, BG1 (18%) and PS:T (21%) are competing for second, with IWD1 in a distant fourth (10%).

Overall it's a very simple story, with BG2 getting more than half the votes (52%), PS:T getting a decent second (28%), and BG1 hanging onto a shrinking third (8%).

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*sigh* BG2 is so overrated...

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree, Aikanaro.

15. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Mechanics:I like another one better! (Wizardry 8)
    Design,Difficulty Level ,Best Overall: Baldur's Gate II

16. Starborn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Morrowind for best overall

17. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1) Well, I have to say BG:II

2) Definitely The first of the two Diablo games! It simply had an atmosphere not yet matched by any game (even though it was purely hack'n'slash). I mean it scared the living sh*t out of me walking those creepy dark dungouns.

3) Dunno. Might say Diablo I again, but IWDII on HoF was also very challenging.

18. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Neverwinter Nights for me. Too bad it wasn't in the choice of answers.

Baldur's Gate 2 is overrated.

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Couldn't pass this one up. I surprised myself by not just buffing Torment all the way.

I don't think BG2 is overrated...rather, Torment is underrated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.