1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Game Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Shaman, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

EverQuest actually has some good ambient music in certain areas.

PST takes the cake though. The Icewind Dale series and Homeworld have pretty good scores too.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

IWD2 in Targos - that one really stood out.

PS:T music is good ... I think. I rarely remember what the music is like in games :)

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Icewind Dale II

Worst music: Civilization II - man that music kept going on and on and on and on and on.....essential to turn it off after the first hour of play.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Dig, hands down. Great game, fantastic music. I used to take those subways over and over, for no reason, just to hear the music :)

I think I can play any game with the music off, except The Dig and Ultima Underworld.

Might & Magic V is also very good.

5. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In no particular order...
    Any Star Wars game (especially Republic Commando -- those Mandalorian lyrics are just amazing)
    Baldur's Gate
    Icewind Dale II
    Planescape: Torment
    The Halo games
    Any of the Super Mario Brothers games

@Harbourboy -- I actually like the music from Civ II. It's different enough from itself not to be boring or grating, but similar enough to itself to feel comfortable. Not some of my favourites, though.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In no order...

- Icewind Dale 2 (especially Targos; excellent, atmospheric; mournful but strong)
    - Halo
    - Star Control 2 (come on, the Ur-Quan music was perfect, as were the Spathi, Thraddash and in-system tracks)
    - C&C ("Rain In The Night" was my favourite - it juxtaposed perfectly with the slaughter on the battlefields)
    - Baldur's Gate 2 (I love the Throne Of Bhaal intro music, but it's almost all good)

I haven't played Planescape: Torment, but will certainly put it on my "must have" list. I was also a huge fan of the Crusader: No Remorse music. Going old school on that, I know... For my money, though, nothing beats the Westwood tendency to allow you to change tracks at will; the music can be altered to fit the occasion. Now if only they had Wagner in that list too...

[ April 07, 2005, 04:13: Message edited by: NonSequitur ]

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Speaking of Wagner, I just remembered one game with great music: Return Fire.

Nothing composed originally for the game (it's all classical music), but blasting things away with a tank while Holst's "Mars, the bringer of war" plays is fantastic.

Not to mention Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" while flying around with the helicopter. It really makes you feel you're in Apocalypse Now!

8. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Im suprised this game hasnt been mentioned yet, Morrowind, for me it had great music, i even turned off the music i play on my PC to listen to it instead when playing :D

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow, Dalveen. What an innovation. Listening to the game music while actually playing the game.

I come from the opposite viewpoint in that I have never (until I read your post) considered substituting the game music for any other music whilst playing. I’ll have to remember to try it one day.

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Would you guys try to kick my @ss if I said I liked some of the stuff from Myst III: Exile?

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

@ Bion: No - raising an eybrow should be enough for me.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I guess IWD1. BG2 and IWD2 also have a great one and that from BG1 is also very good. Warcraft II was probably the best in its own time. However, I remember the times when Dune 2's MIDI music was a gem. Ah, nostalgy...

Dune 2000 doesn't have a bad one.

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Final Fantasy VII. There's just no comparison. It was the one game I've ever played where they didn't have a single bad song, or a song that simply didn't have any emotional charge to it.

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Chrone Trigger, Magus Theme, it's just awesome.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

People actually like BG2's music? I only two I like are the main menu and the Kangaxx battle song. There's not many songs n BG2 at all.

In addition to the Final Fantasy games, I also like the music in Zelda games, and maybe even Lufia.

16. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

X-Com. The original, especially in the night missions. It gets me sitting on the edge of my seat every time.

Morrowind had some excellant music as well, but then, so did Daggerfall.

But DevilRocket for the Clone Bandits UT2K4 mod wins, hands down.

17. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

-Paradox games in general, and EUII in particular.
    -Some parts of FFVIII.
    -Some of those Star Wars games out there.
    -Warcraft-Starcraft-C&C-BGII-etc, they've been mentioned already.
    -Both Vampire:the masquerade games.
    -The Nomad Soul.
    -Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (the music in Warrior Within is good in itself but doesn't fit the mood imo)
    -No one lives forever I&II
    -I forgot the rest.

18. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Final fantasy (all games in the serie had some great music)
    Chrono trigger (some of does old midi sounds can bring tears to my eyes)
    Quest for glory 5(the game was loust, but the music was great)
    Icewind dale (way better then the bg series, the only bg music i really liked was the main menu in bg 2)
    Planescape: Torment

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Viconia's theme remains to be one of the best music I've ever heard in a game.

Among others people have posted I also like the soundtrack from the arcade fighting game Guilty Gear XX.

20. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Westwood have done very good job.But Red Alert 2 is better than Red Alert 1.HM2 is my favourite in Red Alert 2

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.