1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Original or Ripped PC Games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kelvon Shadowmane, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Almost all my PC games are copies. I have a few originals like the whole BG saga, IWD1, NWN, the whole Legacy of Kain saga...i only buy games that i known that i will play more than 1 time (i made a mistake with NWN ...).

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The copyright is typically held by a corporation, not any individual. Good luck waiting for a company to die (and not sell its intellectual properties to another company) :p

3. Kaedryl Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

About 90%. In the last few years I've gotten in the habit of DL'ing an image, playing the game a bit and if I feel I'll actually finish it, I buy the game. Given the amount of beta-games and absolute crap that gets released, I refused to buy a game without playing it for awhile first. And demos just don't do a good job of letting you know if a game is decent. If I could return a game because it's absolute unplayable crap, I would be more inclined to buy right off the bat. Until that time, I'll continue to DL before I buy...

4. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd say 90%. Generally, I try to get original version in english, but somehow it's more than hard to do so.

5. Ik Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi,
    I was interested to see a few posters on this thread make comments along the lines of - I'd pay money for computer games but not for music -. Now, I'm not interested in this from a moral standpoint at all, I am interested in the logic behind this idea. Why is it ok for music but not games? I'd like to know the thinking that goes into this idea as stated by these few people. Not knocking the idea just interested in it; if anyone would like to reply here or somewhere else I would appreciate it - I'm sorry if this is off topic.
    Cheers.

[ March 16, 2005, 18:40: Message edited by: Ik ]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, yes, it is off-topic. You should have started a new thread about it. But anyway, as it's here now, we'll leave it be.

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Before coming to Spain, back there in Argentina my original games were: BG saga, NW saga, Fallout saga, Diablo saga, Fifa and Nascar games; but to buy them I had to travel long (1000km) because where I lived didn't sell games or pc programs, so one day I discovered a website that sells pirated games for a very cheap prize and they send them home by mail so I bought there lots of games; I know there is no excuse but hey, I did what I could; now here in Spain I have no games, I just have to start all over again and here games are cheaper than back there so I'm glad to pay for original games.

8. Pablo Gems: 1/31

I prefer originals, even though prices for recent PC Games are ludicrous here. There's just something about owning the box and manual (when companies actually bother to print them, anyway) along with the actual game that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, not unlike wearing a soiled adult diaper.

That said, I do have several ISO's, Rips and Copies, mostly of old Graphic P&C Adventure games for which I refuse to pay a reseller $60+ on E-Bay.

The good thing about living outside of the US is that stock, although small, is rarely renewed. Since living here I've picked up mint copies of Starship Titanic (with strategy guide!), Blue Force, Star Trek: Borg, Might and Magic 2 and several Spanish titles (Mortadelo & Filemon. I think they're called Fred & Jeff or Clever & Smart in English) for peanuts (well... peanuts... $15 to $25).

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

5% legit. So far at least...

10. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    All my 80+ PC games are bought in a store and 100% legal.

The games I would like to try out I download first. I don't see the point in buying a game which I uninstall after 10 minutes of play. The only reason I keep them a short while is for friends who like to play them and would like a copy. After everybody who wants to has it, I delete it from my fileserver. So basically I don't have any illegal games permanent, but I'm no hypocrite so I voted "Mostly original."

All my PS2, X-box, NGC and GBA games I have are bought and 100% legal as well. I never download these games because of there size.

11. Game Squirrel Gems: 1/31

Veteran

With exception to one game, all of mine are originals. I can't afford the high price of games, so I will from time to time download the demo and a ripped copy. I'll play both. If I like the game, I'll make a note of it and delete the files. The one ripped that I have will be replaced in a few weeks anyway. I also buy my music from iTunes when I really want something to listen to. I happen to like having my manuals, extras, and support.

12. TBurma316 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have a friend that is always getting his hands on games that are "less than legal", but I won't touch them. Not because i'm a saint but I feel the PC market is suffering already because of these damn consoles, I think this makes it worse.

That said some companies deserve it, Valve have got to be kidding with this steam nonsense, and Microsoft, don't get me started with them, they don't count and anyone who rips off any of their software gets a thumbs up from me.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I sometimes have a few ripped games on my hard drive, but they either don't stay there for long, or I buy them.

I have no cd cracks for all the games I have bought - makes thing easier.

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Back then when I was still a student and in my early days as a low salary worker... it's all ripped. Now, I can afford the original but would still consider ripped if availability is a question. But that is true because I don't buy that much games.

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

First off if I own a ripped game I also own the original. If you don't own the game and you are using a ripped or burned copy, you are stealing and should be fined as such.

I copy/ripp all of my games because I had my ToTSC damaged by a friend. Since that time and even before that I made sure all my games were copied.

I do borrow people's software for a day or two to try it out. If I like it I purchase the game myself.

I hate it when people steal regards if it is software, music, or a car. Stealing is stealing and that is all there is to it.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

ressurection! :D

uh, ripped im afraid. except for PS:T and BG.

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Everything I have is original, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If it's not worth it to buy the game, I'll just stick to the demo TYVM.

18. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

All of my games are legit, although I have a rather large collection of SNES roms. Mmmm, nostalgia.

In regards to music, I don't download any from the Interwebs, but I do tend to rip music from friend's CDs onto my compy.

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Mostly Original with a few copied games. MOst of what I use is original. I did get some emulator based Arcade games however...

20. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, almost all original; the only chink in my 'armor of virtue' ;) would be a few 'abandonware' titles - for example the original SSI/TSR 'Gold Box' series was Pool of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds/Secret of the Silver Blades/Pools of Darkness - I used to own all four, then lent them to a friend, who then moved out of the country. :grr:

Most of the 'abandonware' I download is stuff I actually own, but cannot use - either due to incompatible diskette formats (who has a 5.25" drive in their PC anymore?) or the diskettes are degaussed/CDs are scratched. So doubtful even the RIAA would bother me ;)

A couple of instances I've 'explored' a few old classics I'd heard of when they were hits, but never bought, or completed a series with that one title I could never find...so I can't say I'm perfect :)

As for the tangential topic of music; I'm lazy about having to swap out audio CDs; I've got almost all of my legally-purchased music collection MP3'ed onto my hard drive and my PC becomes my jukebox. :D

In short, I'm not an exemplar of honesty and virtue, but I try. :) And to be perfectly honest, I don't care if other people pirated their entire collection. *shrug*

EDIT: oh, and what is it about 'bump'ing that makes me uneasy? Maybe it's the similarity to necromancy... ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.