1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Original or Ripped PC Games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kelvon Shadowmane, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I've got nearly 100% originals, but I do get some downloaded (like Ziad, older ones. My connection is far too slow to be getting new games. Thank you HotU). A few I downloaded and then tracked down because they were great, and I wouldn't trade my Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle or Sam'n'Max CD versions for anything.

If I want anything newer, I'd have to go through my friends. I've done that for one game, and it sucked and I'm glad I didn't pay for it (*coughDoom3cough*)

2. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Most of my games are legal, and the majority are full-price, and there's only 1 amongst 'em I regret buying (Sacred; what a WASTE. Got good reviews but was boring as hell)

A couple of games I've 'acquired' from friends, and a few I've bought after owning them 'illegally' because they were so great (Deus Ex and Starcraft, for example).

I'd say 'bouts 70-80% clean
    :borg:

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Rip: A game without music, movies, and the like so the file-size would be smaller, but otherwise original. Not the choise of medium today, since modems are no longer dominant.

ISO/Game-image: A perfect copy ("image") of the game CD/DVD that you can burn on a new one. Goes without saying that this is the most popular form.

4. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

However, despite sub-excellent phrasing, I assume that the question meant to ask is: "Legally or illegally acquired PC games?" Where the actual means of acquisition are not that important.

(Kelvon, if I'm wrong, be sure to let us all know)
    :borg:

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

100% legit.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

90% legit. I have a few games from the disket era which are copied (not that I'm able to play them) but all my cd:s are legit.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hm, looks like this topic has been changed a little and turned into the poll of the week. I actually had to go into the almost all category on that because of one single burnt expansion that my brother gave me.

8. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I had 1 unlegit game (HoMM4 (got the legit 2 expansions though)) (I downloaded it since 3do quit), but last saturday I saw a new budget-release from ubisoft in the store, so I bought it...

Again 100% legit atm :)

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"Ripped" games have had segments ripped from them. Audio tracks, movies, music, extras.

Anyway, I know I have one full 100-disc spindle of mastered disks, and another 50-disc nearly full. All the games I play "regularly" I've gone out and found. I've a 3/4's full 50disc spindle of...demos. The vast majority I've never played, or played for a few minutes and just didn't like or couldn't figure out. I should probably sort through it this weekend and chuck stuff that I (now) know better than to even infect my computer with.

So, I probably have something like 100 originals, and maybe 40 demos. One of these days, I should image and compress everything over to dvd's.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The only original game I own is Baldur's Gate 1 :)

Everything else is pirated :/

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Easily 95% original. It helps that most of the games I pirated sucked, and so ended up off my hard disk within a very short time. For the others, if I ended up playing them a lot, I'd buy them--Jagged Alliance 2, Mech Commander, Freespace, and Carmaggedon all come to mind as examples of this.

Two notable exceptions are Max Payne 2 and Rome: Total War. Played quite a bit of both, still haven't purchased them. Still, two out of, um....one hundred fifty ain't bad. I think.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I voted 'All Original' --- before I remembered that my copy of Fallout is a burnt one...

Oh well.

13. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hugo, you're wrong. Wirhe is right.

14. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

all originals except for the great game Gothic, which i couldn´t buy anywhere so i had to do with a copy. If this game ever gets in the stores i will buy it after all because it´s such a nice game.

15. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'd have to say about 75% are ripped, but these are games that have just been recomended to me, or games that require no thought or no internet connection. Most of my legit games comprise of CRPG's, MMORPG's, Strategy and Adventure games, but all the rest are ripped...

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If the company has gone out of business is it illegal to copy the game?

I have many games (talking about fifty for PC) and about 15 are copies. However, my Playstation 2 has 20 games, all of which are copies.

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Apparently yes. Its even illegal to own roms of ancient arcade games, unless you own the hardware of course.

18. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Copyright expires 70 years after death of the original holder IIRC so there's no legally availabe games yet (except for those released to public domain, like the early Zorks).

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

There you go - just wait another 60+ years and you can legally own some of those games!

20. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Are any of the creators even dead yet? I'd think it'd be 80 years + still.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.