1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SW: KoToR (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Enagonios, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually the enemies aren't endless; it just seemed that way :) If you take your time about moving ahead through the Star Forge corridors, there's plenty of time to rest and recuperate between waves of enemies, and there actually is a finite number of them.

2. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] @Tapdancing Oyster
    You care not how your character looks you just want to be the most effective in combat... you sir are a munchkin ;)

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Throw an Opila crystal on that and watch the body count skyrocket.

I agree with the anti-dual-wielding thing, too. "Short" lightsabers? What exactly is the point - it can hardly be balanced because the blade weighs nothing. Double-bladed lightsabers I can stomach, since (1) Maul rocked, (2) it's more like a light-quarterstaff than dual-wielding, (3) it's not open to munchkinism since you only get two crystals and it has a lower critical chance, and (4) only a true master could expect to be able to wield such a weapon effectively.

I always take either Duelling or Two-Handed Fighting, simply because they are excellent proficiencies. Duelling is spectacularly underrated for any non-powergaming character (ie: one who doesn't min-max at all, as few Jedi would have any sub-standard stats). Why do you think Malak (and Revan, in all the cutscenes) single-wields? He's got Master Duelling, that's why! +1/+2/+3 to hit and defence is decent enough, plus it's useful when you get it (at level ONE). Two-handed fighting is probably stronger, but only because it gives you an extra attack and does more damage, and you have to wait until level 8 to use it properly.

@ Eric Xanthus: What have you got against Vader? Sure, he was a dork before he got the mask, but he was the MAN in New Hope and Empire, and he was a single-wielder... :D

4. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually my Vader comment was about playing a consular, not the saber type. Not particularly on topic at the time, but hey--I drive my colleagues crazy with my stream of consciousness conversations. I totally agree about the bonuses on dueling--and I don't even think that the extra damage from double-bladed fighting makes up for it. The one and only place where I'd consider using the damage of a double-bladed is against the two terentateks, which is a pretty ugly fight for a consular.

But seriously, do you really think there was ever a time when Annyvader could take Yoda? Please. The green monster would bitch slap him back to Tatooine.

5. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

[​IMG] @Viper - Munchkin?? not having played a MMORPG or Pen and Paper RPGs I had to look that one up. What your saying is I'm just playing to get the best equipment and become as powerful as possible? Well your right, but Kotor is not an MMORPG so hopefully I'm not upsetting anyone by doing that, accept maybe the cheese police.
    I could play the game with a character using a one lighsaber and no armour all the way through for the sake of role playing a character like skywalker. Or perhaps I could roleplay as myself and sit on my backside in a cantina perhaps on a warm planet like tatoine and play pazaak, ignoring all the quests for fear of a premature death?
    I've always gotten more enjoyment out of trying to defeat the oposition as quickly and easy as possible.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    My character was a tad like Skywalker. One handed lightsaber, jedi robes and all that. Though I dont like blue or green, so had a purple gem in mine. :D

7. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Yeah I go with purple too. I just don't like the other colors much.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yeah brotha! heh ;)

I dual wielded 2 purple lightsabers my first time playing. Samuel L Jackson aint got nothing on me :D hehe. But now I"m playing a lightside consular with dueling skills. lightside powers aren't really as good as darkside ones though :(

9. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Knock 'em out and let Mission critical hit them for you. I let her clear the entire Rakata beach while I tuned my lightsaber. And droids...droids are lunch to a ls consular. I love 1. The Matale estate 2. The Sith tomb with the assassination droid and 3. The final assault on the Star Forge. Talk about lighting up your screen...

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, but force lightning would've been just as effective and coud've fried non-droids as well. <sigh>

oh, i discovered this my last game as a darkside consular. Did you guys know that you yourselves could drain the lives of the trapped jedi at the end? I drained all of them but the 2 that Malak was able to get to and cut him down in less than half the time ;) "*I* am the true Dark Lord of the Sith!" :)

11. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Yeah. You can also destroy them with destroy droid, which at least keeps Malak from getting the life force. I just pump up with master speed, run around the room destroying all the tanks, and then face Malak. This way he only gets to drain one stolen jedi.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

In Dungeon Siege, there was a "loot all" key. It worked the same way, in that game, that it would have in Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, or even Knights of the Old Republic.

Let's say you're a Jedi, and you just get tired of the filth in the Sith Temple on Korriban. So you wipe them out. Women, children, dogs, cats, mules, monkeys. An enormous cauterized bloodbath. So, now there's dead bodies lying everywhere. Well, you know what I mean; pieces of dead bodies, everywhere.

You hit the "loot all" key. The loot all has it's own little artifical intelligence script. It looks around for the nearest pile of stuff, and picks it all up. Then it looks around for the next closest pile, and picks that up. Let's say one of your people gets completely filled to the brim with stuff. They just stand there, and someone else that isn't filled to the brim will pickup whatever's left in the pile.

Now, if you've done a good job of killing, there will just be a little trail...like breadcrumbs through the forest. You don't have to hold down the alt key to find the little pile of gold that's hidden behind the scenery or the column. You DO have to manually open chests and other containers. And you may very well have to move your people around if there's a break in the breadcrumbs. It just takes a portion of micro-management, and breaks it into pockets of micro-management. Normally you'd have to click on a pile, click the "get all" key, and then click on the next pile, and click the "get all" key. Sure, you can learn to do it quickly.

But in Dungeon Siege, you can wipe out the entire room, click the "loot all", and go get a cup of coffee/tea/whiskey. When you come back, you'll need to sort through your inventory and maybe click the "loot all" again. It was such a fabulous, wonderful, fulfilling part of Dungeon Siege. Loot All made it an excellent dungeon crawl.

And I would very much like it to be a part of KotOR2.

13. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

Why would you want that? I like to see what I'm getting and who I am getting it from.

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Yeah, I agree. I'm an older gamer (28), and I have some "old-fashioned" ideas about the art of gaming. Loot All involves a lack of interest and/or commitment to the game, as I see it. But hey, to each his (or her) own.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'm in the same park. I always get a small thrill when I'm looting a corpse, or checking a box. Part of my mind is wondering what I'm going to find. What new goodies I can play with. A loot all would take away the fun and excitement. If a game has it, there's no prob. If someone wants to use that then that is fine. I'll stick with person to person looting myself.

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Eric: Sorry, didn't catch your drift. I think I must be the only person who like playing as a Sentinel, if only to avoid needing Force Immunity. I don't like Consulars - they're overpowered and should probably all be more like Jolee than anything else, what with all this "balance" stuff.

Still, it's just much more fun for me to hand out a saber-whuppin' after a Force-jump into combat with a Master-Speeded Guardian... followed by another acrobatic leap across the battlefield to slaughter another blaster-wielding enemy, all while HK-47 takes out the rest of my pathetic meatbag opposition.

Re: "Loot All" - looting one-by-one seems much more personal; I can't really explain why, it just seems better that way.

17. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

NonSequitur, you aren't the first to say that about me, sadly. Nor probably the last. :D

I like Force Jump as well, but my computer has a teensy little problem rendering it, so I don't always get to see it happen. Also, I found that "finding the range" was a little hard--sometimes my wife's guardian wouldn't jump, even when I was sure she was standing far enough away.

18. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

Consulars overpowered? that's the first I've heard of that!

19. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Then let this be the second. Or at least, I think they are more powerful than any other class. Why just kill one guy at a time when you can kill them all? Or knock them all out, at least. Either way, it makes the game verrrry easy. It would not be difficult at all to play a consular game and never swing your saber (or almost never, at any rate).

Hmm. Maybe that's how I'll warm up for KOTOR2...

20. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

lol in KOTOR2 under Consular it says "note: for advanced players only" or something of the sort.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.